New to the crabbie community

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

New to the crabbie community

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:12 pm

hello everyone,
My name is Heather, and I have just become the proud new mommy to Washburn and Zoey. My daughter decided that hermit crabs were what she wanted as pets so I decided after considering all the care and cost to do this ( I always do when considering a new species of pet ) I decided that it was time to go ahead and do it.
Zoey and Washburn are Purple Pincher crabs. We named them after characters from our favorite show "Firefly" Washburn is about golfball size, and Zoey is a bit bigger. They are housed in a 10gal aquarium with blue playsand for substrate and love rose and petunia pettels. My boyfriend, Les is just as crazy about them as I am. Kathryn, ironically has lost her interest in them, however, the grownups are all head over heals for them. I'm always looking for good advice when I own new species pets. Thus my reason for joining! :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:50 pm

Welcome to the HCA! That happens a lot, kids want them and the grownups ending up addicted to them. Congrats on your new pets.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:00 pm

Welcome! I think you'll find that most of us around here are adults - many of whom have taken over their kids crabs, including myself! My son still LOVES his crabs but I'm definitely the one who's addicted!

Topic author
MomToDixie

Post by MomToDixie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Welcome to the HCA :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:40 am

I agree! The kids want a pet they can play with and be entertained by. They just don't appreciate the cabbies the way we do.

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:24 am

Not in my case!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

I'm just right at 13, and have had crabs for about half a year now. My parents know only about crabs what I have told them (quite a lot, actually, but not sure how much they took in :lol: ). I am even more into crabs now then at the beginning, when a science experiment yielded an animal (small, of course), and my science teacher told myself, and a few others about LHCs. I didn't even know that they existed, LHCs. I always just thought that there were marine hermit crabs.

Needless to say, I was the only one who actually showed interest in crabs, even though there were other people who had crabs for this science experiment (it did not invlove disecting, or harming the crabs in any way, shape, or form. In fact, they actually got to live in a small terrarium we had built for just under a month 8) ). I was the only one who brought my crab home. :x

Now, crabs are an intense addiction! :D

I only have 2 PP's, and 2 E's, but am getting lots more crabs when I upgrade to a larger tank. :wink:

Happy to crabbing to you!

Ryan :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:32 am

HI Wash, welcome to the HCA. Like you I myself became addicted to hermies when my son who was in kindergarten at the time brought home the classroom pet hermit crab for the weekend lol. After that I was hooked. I now own 8 Purple pincher hermit crabs in a 40L tank and am possibly adopting two more sometime next week. These little hermies are not only fascinating but addicting as well.

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:43 am

They sure are! :D

No question about it! :D

Almost all of my friends marvel at hermit crabs, and love watching mine explore my crabitat.

And, oh, yeah (where are my manners :? :oops: ) welcome, washnzoeysmom, to HCA! :D Hope you are having fun so far!

Ryan :D

Topic author

yep.. adicted

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:03 pm

yeah, my mother in law is facinated with them too, she loves to take care of them for us and pet them and talk to them. Les, my bf, loves them too... Kathryn is 5 and she's more interested in tormenting the cats by dressing them up in baby clothes and playing ball with Archiedog. :lol:

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Poor cats! :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:56 pm

Welcome to HCA! My sister started the crab addiction, but she doesn't do anything for her crabbies, so I secretly adopted them. :P I know have 5 PP's (kix, rye, sheldon, and Teeny), and A rug (Posiedon the Shy).