Crabitat Relay (formerly for crabbers who need bigger tanks)

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Christa

Crabitat Relay (formerly for crabbers who need bigger tanks)

Post by Christa » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:04 am

Hey everyone,

I brought up this idea a while back but thought I'd try again:

Right now I've got about 4 unused tanks sitting up in my attic, and another 30 gallon long (with stand) sitting unused in my dining room.

Is there anyone who would be interested in participating in a crabitat relay? The way it would work is that say a person in Georgia needs a crabitat and a person in Virginia has a bunch of tanks. The person in Virginia would drive two hours, meet up with another crabber who would pick up the tank and drive another two hours, and meet up with another crabber, and so on, until the crabitat gets to its final destination.

There could be all sorts of add-ins, like if the people "running" the tanks meet at a pet stores, everyone can go crab-shopping or whatnot, and what's best is we'd get to meet each other, which brings up all sorts of possibilities. It could also function as a swap meet where people trade supplies, etc.

Anyone interested?

hc!
Christa
Last edited by Christa on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:07 am

I'd be interested, but I have a feeling I'd always be at the beginning or end of the chain... :lol:

Well, I guess I'd be the one who'd have to cross the border into Canada!

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:12 am

That sounds like it would be loads of fun.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:23 am

Well it does sound like a great idea. However there are some of us who dont drive. So how could it be worked to include people who dont drive.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:31 am

well if anyone lived near me and wanted to go along for the ride, that would be cool with me.

Topic author
Christa

Post by Christa » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:06 am

Those who are too young to drive perhaps could persuade their parents to drive them? It would be a small expense when you consider the rewards: a "new" crabitat, possibly more supplies, getting to meet more crabbers, etc. It would be a fun outing for a family on a Saturday.

hc!
Christa
Crabbing since 1974

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:37 am

I'd be willing to do it.

~jenn

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 pm

i would od this but im a little apprehensive about the people i dont know thing. i wouldnt be able to fully trust anybody, especially since i have parents watching over my shoulders at all times. it sounds fun though.

Petalstorm

Post by Petalstorm » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:09 am

Possibly. It depends if it's on a day hubby is home. then again he'd drive that far on a road trip to get a bigger tank and turn our other 10g into an iso and give the crabbies in that tank some more streaching room.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:24 am

I'd love it. So far though, I don't see anyone anywhere near me all the way over here in Oregon. I'd use just about any excuse for a road trip though.

Willow

Post by Willow » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:38 pm

I'd do it.... I can't really go too far, because I have to work on weekdays and I'm always busy on weekends, but an hour or so in any direction on a weeknight would be doable.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:43 pm

I know when I freecycle we don't always meet at the person's home. You can give the address to the closet Wal-Mart or something like that.

Kathy

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:13 pm

I live in Mi. and am interested in a bigger tank. So I would be willing to do it also. Just let me know the details if any come up.

Topic author
Christa

Post by Christa » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Wow! From looking at the replies, we have the whole North Atlantic Region covered. See Board of Directors link on the right if you aren't sure what that is. That is so cool!

We're moving in a few months and I will be SO GLAD to get rid of any excess crab tanks. So I guess if you're in the North Atlantic Region and have a burning need for a crabitat let me know.... :)

I'll try to get up in the attic and assess how many tanks I have up there. I think it's a 30 gallon (with stand), a 20 high, a 20 extra-high, a 15 gallon, and maybe a regular 20 gallon. The high and extra-high tanks were ISOs for my jumbos, who passed away. :cry:

Christa
Crabbing since 1974