dried starfish

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
rednerite

dried starfish

Post by rednerite » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 am

ok, so i was rummaging through decorative seashells on display in my house in a glass vase, when i found a tiny red dried starfish. i decided to put it in the tank for kicks, (after boiling it) and the next day realized someone ate almost the whole thing! i'm guessing it was my straw or a very large PP that ate it, since i don't think my tiny E could devour the whole thing, everyone else is molting. is this a safe thing? nobody has fallen ill, and it's just the empy skeleton of a sundried starfish. hm.
7 PPs: Arji, Ernie, Bert, Godzilla, Mothra, Shelley, Peewee
2 Violas: Alto, Clef

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:08 am

Well, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's okay for them. But you should get the opinion of someone more experienced.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:46 am

probably good for them, like sea fan or sand dollars. I wonder how they cure these things? Some things from the sea are dyed, but some would naturally have color too. I would avoid dyed items.

DaddyShell

Post by DaddyShell » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:22 am

Interesting! My only concern would be whether or not the starfish had been painted or dyed to make it red. If so, that might not be good! We got some decorative nets from Wal-Mart that come with big beautiful starfish...problem is they were bleached and I don't know in what...so they don't go into the tanks. Hopefully the babies will be okay!!

Topic author
rednerite

Post by rednerite » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 am

well i boiled it really well before putting it in, and most of the red coloring boiled off in hot water. nobody has been sick, most of them are molting right now, in the meantime, theyre enjoying their carrot stick and organic peanut butter and honey mixture especially.
7 PPs: Arji, Ernie, Bert, Godzilla, Mothra, Shelley, Peewee
2 Violas: Alto, Clef

should be fine

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:51 am

when i started crabbing i picked up a couple tiny dried starfish for decoration. after about two months my crabs devoured all the starfish and have been fine, they were undyed, but im sure if u got all the dye of they ll be perfectly alrite. :wink:

starfish

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:02 pm

I had a tiny blue starfish that I soaked repeatedly to remove the color. I put it in the tank for a week, but no one has touched it.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:12 pm

I have one of those starfish, but I didn't put it into the tat, for fear someone would eat it and the dye would be poisonous. It's pretty though, so I'll probably use it for something. :-)

I hope your crabbies continue to feel just fine!
MM