What kind of hermie crabs are these...They are white?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Hermie Lover

What kind of hermie crabs are these...They are white?

Post by Hermie Lover » Thu May 25, 2006 12:53 pm

What kind of crabber is this? Sorry, I don't have any pics right now. I bought 3 of them from PetSmart. They were in a corner to themselves.

They are about the size of a quarter maybe? And they are very white.
They look like little ghosts. They seem to have the long eyes, so maybe they are baby E's??? I was trying to see the shape of their large pincers, to see if they were similar to the E's, kinda look like spades or something.

Anyway, if anyone can help me out, w/o pics, that would be great. One was dug down, and a couple of days later I smelled the *death* smell. I kinda messed around where he had buried, and he was dead :( I mean I picked him up, and he fell out of the shell, and there was the aweful stench :(

Hope to get some help. They are white, and have small, almost unnoticable tan lines on maybe one or two of their legs.

Thanks...
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

cranlsn

Post by cranlsn » Thu May 25, 2006 1:05 pm

I'd be willing to bet Ruggie...can you see under their eyestalks if there are dark "smudges" for lack of a better word.

If they're E's, I would think they are malnourished, most of your smaller E's tend towards blue or greenish.

Again...never having actually seen a Ruggie in person, you may want to wait until a few others weigh in! :)

Sorry for the one loss too.... :(

Post by Guest » Thu May 25, 2006 1:06 pm

Sound like Rugs to me too. Congrats on the new babies, and sorry about the loss.

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Thu May 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Really?! Yall think I have some Ruggies? That would be awesome!

They were off in a corner alone, and I know were suffering. When I bought them, I put them in a deli cup w/ lid and had a wet paper towel put in there. They were wild and awake all the way home! Yall might kill me for this, but I put a mushed chocolate covered raisin in there for the ride home (a little over an hour) and they went crazy! They were pulling it away from each other :)

The 2 that are still alive love the tiki hut, and love to clib on the straw and hide in it. They stay there most of the time. They are not shy though. They will come right out and visit you any time you pick them up :)

Thanks for the help. I will try to get pics. Although I don't know how to add a pic to my posts yet...
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

annopia

Post by annopia » Thu May 25, 2006 2:21 pm

I just purchased an unknown crab, either e or ruggie, from petsmart as well. My Legolas looks exactly as you describe, and most people who I have asked to ID him have said that she is a rug. Ruggie or E, though, aren't they just adorable? Mine is around nickel size.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Post by Guest » Thu May 25, 2006 9:17 pm

My guess would be a ruggie. My little ruggie is very white with just a bit of peach. My little E is very blueish.

white hermies

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:43 am

hi i read your letter a little late but i am a new hermie lover :D i read that hermies that are whiteare not getting enough carotene i hope that helps someone :)

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:49 am

I know tha petsmart has been selling Ruggies for awhile, though they think they are selling PPs. The store near me has lots of small white ruggies. Others here have reported buying ruggies from Petsmart recently, many of them are white. So, my guess is a white ruggie as well.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:44 pm

I'm so glad to hear they went home with you. It sounds like the poor creatures were starving if they went wild for a chocolate covered raisin. Poor babies, but I'm sure they'll be doing much better soon.

I'm sorry about the one who passed. I bet if he were as bad off as that, the others couldn't have been too far behind, condition-wise.

Keep us all posted on their progress.

MM

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:53 pm

i bought fried rice from petsmart after getting sushi a week earlier. i noticed they were different colored. fried rice is white and more active then sushi. its nice to know what type fried rice is.