Oatmeal

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Oatmeal

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:14 pm

Anyone feed their hermies oatmeal? I was just wondering what reactions you have had to it. I plopped mine in, and they seemed almost hypnotized by it. It was the first time I had seen all of my crabs who were above surface surround the food dish and all eat at the same time. it was quite funny :lol:

annopia

Post by annopia » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:46 pm

i feed oatmeal occaisionally, but its hard to tell how they like it, because each night I serve about 5 things all choped and mixed together, so its difficult to tell which one of the mix it is that draws them.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:17 pm

I made mine oatmeal with blueberries... Someone ate it. I know Narnar makes oatmeal for crabs and she says hers love it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:44 pm

hummm i have given the oats raw but not much reaction....how did you prepare it? Did you use original Quaker oats?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:18 pm

Yup, I just put 1/2 cup of oats in a bowl, 3/4 cup of water, microwaved it for a minute thirty and then gave a spoonful to the crabbies and I ate the rest myself :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:06 am

hmm, i gotta try that!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:16 am

tried it last night. i'm no expert on crab behavior, but i think the fact that one of my 3 slept half in one of the shells of food means they like it. I mixed plain oats with dried unsweetened coconut flakes honey and a drop of molassas

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:44 am

I mix the dry oats with peanut butter, it makes it less sticky.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:45 pm

I alway make oatmeal with frozen wild blueberries and honey, the crabbies get a spoonful, I get the rest. Yum! And the hermies just love it, it's one of their favorite meals.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:11 pm

I feed steel cut organic oatmeal to my guys, they go bonkers, make a huge mess. :)

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:33 am

You all are just talking about plain oatmeal, right? Not the rainin kind, ect.? Just want to be clear.

Would they eat it raw, right out of the container?
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:19 pm

One time I hand-fed my Straw some. I think I might've given Stinky some, too.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:14 pm

Hermie Lover wrote:You all are just talking about plain oatmeal, right? Not the rainin kind, ect.? Just want to be clear.

Would they eat it raw, right out of the container?
Yes, just plain oatmeal. Don't give them the flavored kind, or any kind of pre-packaged instant stuff, it could have a bunch of weird ingredients (like artificial colors, or thickening agents), and any sweetener other than honey or pure cane syrup could be bad for them. You can give it to them raw or cooked, either way they seem to like it. You can add raisins or other fruit if you want, just make sure anything you add is natural and not sweetened.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:57 pm

Thank goodness!!! My new Crabbies haven't been thrilled about the fruits and veggies I've given them (cantaloupe, carrot, red peppers)--even when I added some stinky fish food flakes to get their attention! I'll try this. I know it's one of my favorites!!! :lol:

Do I have to feed my 2 PPs and 1 Strawberry prepackaged hermit crab food?

I've only had them since Saturday (today is Monday). I'm new to this and I've go ALOT to learn!!! Your advice is welcome.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:16 pm

No... check out the "safe food list" under the Crab Care FAQs to the right of this screen. :)