Another Crab in a cup rescue with pic

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Another Crab in a cup rescue with pic

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:59 am

I ran by the pets in Walmart while I was there to pick up some shells in a basket and BOOM, more crabs in a cup :( . After checking each cup I found 6 dead and one little guy still alive. So he joined the gang today!

I'm pretty sure he is an E but I can never tell.

I also picked up a toy for there tank and wanted to make sure it is safe for them. I boiled the thing for a good 30 min then put it back in new water and boiled it again for another 15. I am supper paranoid about anything I put in my tat LOL.

Its not plastic its heavy like a rock and no paint came off it when I boiled it but the plants that were connected to it came out and the glue holding them became soft. I am pretty sure the glue was just Aquaruim sealent but just wanted someone elses thoughts. Thanks :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:19 am

Makes me so sad that all those precious little ones are dying at Walmart's across our country :crybaby: glad you found this beauty and got brought him home!
Looks like the new toy is going to be well loved. It looks to be resin or something and should be totally safe for them.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:55 am

i feel the same as pinchy and i also think the dishes are safe--i have several similar :)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:57 pm

That is a little cutie you have right there!

I am glad you were at Walmart to take care of this little guy! It does look like an E to me.

I am happy for you! And I am sure they will love the new toy!
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

annopia

Post by annopia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:05 pm

awww, poor crab, he's so lucky you found him. and he's a cute one at that...I think he is a ruggie, however, his outer leg looks like it could be a sheild leg. its hard to tell though...could you get a pic of his left side?

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Cutie!

Was that toy from the aquarium dept? If so, it should be fine.

Topic author

More Pics

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:59 pm

And the log did come from the aquarium dept. I went ahead and put it in the tat and now someone is inside it.

annopia

Post by annopia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:04 pm

hmmm, I think, after seeing the other photos, that i'll agree with the others that you have a precious little E!

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:36 pm

Good job on rescuing the little guy (or girl)! He is precious! Those little eyes... *sniffle, sniffle*

We aren't *lucky* enough to have Walmart's crabs in a cup around here... Rolls eyes... But I do a cruise for them whenever I'm in one of the surrounding stores. No crabs, but night before last there were some fish that I've been having nightmares about. Just about the most ill and sad looking fish I have ever seen in my life.

But I digress. What a beautiful baby you've got!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm getting so sick of the Walmart pet departments. We don't have crabs in cups around here (thank God) but they do have the bettas in those tiny little bowls all half-dead.

Tonight I was in Walmart and went back to the pet department to check for dried shrimp. When I walked past the fish tanks, I saw a whole shelf full of bettas above the little sink area. At least 3 were dead and one poor little guy was in a bowl that barely had enough water to cover him. I decided he had to come home with me. On the way to check out, I realized that his bowl had a small crack in the bottom. The cashier was nice enough to walk him all the way back to the pet department and put more water in his bowl and put it in a bag so it wouldn't leak in the car. I just got him home and immediately put him in a small kritter keeper with some spring water and food. The poor little thing would have been dead by morning if I would have left him there.

So I'm so glad to hear you rescued that poor little crab. At least I know I'm not alone. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:55 pm

Adorable! He's a lucky little cutie.

Topic author

Crab death by Walmart

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:33 pm

Thank God that "my" Walmart doesn't sell hermies! If they did I would snatch up EVERY one of them!
The Petco by me seems to have a good set up, thats where I got Peanut...
and the best supplies!