dead or just buried?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
EGcrabber

dead or just buried?

Post by EGcrabber » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:56 pm

My crab Gizmo has been buried for 2 months and a half. Should I dig for him? I haven't smelled a death smell, but the other crabs could have eaten him or something, or maybe he just wants to stay buried?
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:25 pm

How big is the crab? Do you know exactly where he dug down? If you know I would possibly just try to search around the area because I think from experience if they ate the guy there would be a whole bunch of bits of things around the area.

hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:22 pm

I dunno, metalshell. I had 2 crabs just completely disappear in that amount of time. Their shells were buried and full of EE, but the crabs were nowhere to be found, and neither were pieces of them. I have no clue what happened to those two. EG, I'd say dig very carefully if you worry that something might be wrong. I've only ever dug twice and got lucky both times. The first time, no one was molting and the second, I just had one and he was mostly done. :)

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:53 am

yeah i would think he is just molting but you could carefully dig him up maybe to settle ur nerves?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 pm

hermiegirl wrote:I dunno, metalshell. I had 2 crabs just completely disappear in that amount of time. Their shells were buried and full of EE, but the crabs were nowhere to be found, and neither were pieces of them. I have no clue what happened to those two. EG, I'd say dig very carefully if you worry that something might be wrong. I've only ever dug twice and got lucky both times. The first time, no one was molting and the second, I just had one and he was mostly done. :)
well I actually did have that happen twice where nothing was found.....but the other two times I found a ton of parts laying around. I actually found a piece of a straw's exo and the last straw I had died in august :shock: . Time for a tank clean I think.

But I think checking on the guy would be good only because you might save his life. I would check to see if he is alive.

Topic author
EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:32 pm

If he was molting, how long would it take for him to decide to come up?

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:33 pm

Depends on the size of your hermie. How big is he?

Topic author
EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:20 pm

medium

10 successful molts
2 bad

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:51 am

It could take up to 2 months for him to molt but 4-6 weeks is more likely.