Coenobita purpureus (Okinawan/Ryukyuan Blueberry) Also Exist

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Coenobita purpureus (Okinawan/Ryukyuan Blueberry) Also Exist

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:07 am

This is the eighth species of Land Hermit Crab in Indonesia. At first glance, the grey specimens look like Ruggies or Ecuadorians. Different from ruggies, these Indonesian C.purpureus do not have visible or striking "stich mark" or ridge on the BP. The legs are also bigger/fatter than those of ruggies. They have weak yellow "ring" surrounding the eyes.

However, also different from Okinawan blueberries, the blue or purple tones are oftenly weaker ( perhaps due to different diet ) and many of them are in burgundy or brownish color.

My supplier ( a hermit crab exporter ) told me that he will soon make this species available in the U.S.market ( he will trade them with PPs ).
Last edited by Mokulele_Hawai'i on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermit crab lover since 1981
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:13 am

Do they require different care than ruggies or Es?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:22 am

THey are beautiful. How would we know when and what distributers will have them available. Is other words, how can we get them?? I bet their is more than one person in this forum who would love to get a few of those. :wink:

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:32 am

Featherscrabs wrote:Do they require different care than ruggies or Es?
No ... just like ruggies.

Crabbymomma, I have no idea if any U.S. dealer(s) will place an order to him. Anyway, I think it won't be long after Christmas.
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:40 pm

I thought they were practically endanged and it was illegal to sell them.

dbolack

Re: Coenobita purpureus (Okinawan/Ryukyuan Blueberry) Also E

Post by dbolack » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Mokulele_Hawai'i wrote:This is the eighth species of Land Hermit Crab in Indonesia. At first glance, the grey specimens look like Ruggies or Ecuadorians. Different from ruggies, these Indonesian C.purpureus do not have visible or striking "stich mark" or ridge on the BP. The legs are also bigger/fatter than those of ruggies. They have weak yellow "ring" surrounding the eyes.
8? I didn't realise you had quite so many native.
Mokulele_Hawai'i wrote:My supplier ( a hermit crab exporter ) told me that he will soon make this species available in the U.S.market ( he will trade them with PPs ).
Woo. And I have a tank all ready for 'm.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:50 pm

well if they do get off the endangered list then you know I have to get some- been eyeing up these beauties for awhile 8)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:56 pm

I'd like some too, but of course I will not buy them if they are close to endangered. I hope Mokulele_Hawai'i pops back in and tells us, otherwise I will go crazy researching it.

BAB

Post by BAB » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:25 pm

What beauties!!! I hope they are not endangered though. That would be very sad....
Herm-EZ wrote:well if they do get off the endangered list then you know I have to get some- been eyeing up these beauties for awhile 8)
Herm-Ez... it just has to be asked... Might you already have one similiar to this with you Royale Purple Rug??? I can't really tell but wouldn't that be cool if it got slipped in and you are the first to have one??

I'm sure you thought of that and all though and checked into it. 8)
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:40 pm

Wow, they are beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 pm

They look just like Es! :D

I hope I find some.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:12 pm

I want one in every color! :wav:

And an extra one in burgundy :lol:

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:58 pm

Wow C, Purpureus coming to the U.S that is cause for excitement.

I will have to keep my eye out for those beauties :wink: . Thanks for sharing those pictures Molukule_Hawai'i and sharing that valuable information :wink: .
Last edited by Guest on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Re: Coenobita purpureus (Okinawan/Ryukyuan Blueberry) Also E

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:27 am

8? I didn't realise you had quite so many native.
Yes ... we can get:
Birgus latro (Coconut crab)
Coenobita brevimanus, C.cavipes, C.perlatus, C.purpureus, C.spinosus, C.rugosus, C.violascens
in Indonesia ( although ruggies, indos, and komurasakis/violets are predominant than the other species ).

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 am

Do you own a coconut crab, Mokulele?