New template proposal

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Do you prefer the proposed template to the old template.

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 19

Topic author

New template proposal

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:16 am

I have the following concerns about the current template:
1. I think it’s way too long. The less questions, the better.
2. There is redundancy in some of the questions
3. Some of the questions express opinions about crab care rather than just asking for information.

I think the goal of the template should be to get information about the most common problems we hear about in the emergency forum, not to address everything that could possibly go wrong in a tank. With that goal in mind, how do we like this one instead?

What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity is the tank kept at?

Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

How often do you clean the tank and how?

Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care)?
Last edited by Guest on Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:45 am

Looks good to me.

I agree... opinions need to be kept out of the template. I like that you added the brands of declor and salt. As we are learning that the slime coat in declor can be a problem and that some brands/types of salt are just not good for hermits. like table salt... and I know that other Crab Sites no longer recommend the API for hermit use and we all know about the salt products made for hermits... sigh.

How the salt is mixed is very important... I wonder if it will be clear to a newbie that we also want to know "how it is mixed" to mean x amount of salt to x amount of water.

You have the shells question on two lines...How many shells are usually kept in the tank? How many extra shells are in the tank, if any?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:17 pm

IMO, there is no such thing as a template that is too long. People will want to take their time to fill it out for their hermits' sakes. And anyways, people might be more careful with it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:41 pm

How about a choice of which one to take?Label on "Quick template",and the other "Complete template".If there is a BIG emergency,people will want to post as quickly as possible.If they have time,though,they can fill out the original template.How does that sound?

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Spud-Crab wrote:How about a choice of which one to take?Label on "Quick template",and the other "Complete template".If there is a BIG emergency,people will want to post as quickly as possible.If they have time,though,they can fill out the original template.How does that sound?
I guess we could try that.
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

ripshaw
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by ripshaw » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:27 pm

laura, I have felt the same way about our help template being too long, I'm glad you brought it up. The template as it is is a little overwhelming. As far as a quick vs complete template goes... I vote lets try to keep things simple and stick with 1 template everyone can use. Honestly this cut-down is good but theres a couple more ?s that could go. There are 2 questions regarding shells in the tank. And IMO, lack of spare shells to change into is not going to make a crab unhealthy in the short-term (in MOST cases) so that could probably be eliminated. Also I'd like to see a question in there asking if people mist their crabs directly (as in in the face) because that has been a big issue in the past from what I've seen in the forums.
~ Rip Tang, female crabber!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:01 pm

I agree with Laura. Templates can absolutely be too long. In many cases you have scared, new crab owners posting in order for us to respond to an emergency and if it is too long and confusing they simply won't be using it, they want answers to a pressing situation.

I also don't see the point having two if one can replace the other one.

I don't have any issues with the wording on this-I think we want to stay general so we're not fishing for certain answers (again-keeping it neutral and not putting opinions or things that sound like opinions in there).

I say, let's do it, and nice work Laura.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:21 pm

I agree that the template is a little long. When I am trying to help a new crabber, I skip over the redundant answers. The one proposed by Laura is more "to the point".

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:31 pm

More neutral language was definitely something I tried for, but if you see any questions that could be better worded suggest changes. We really want to avoid the answer “fishingâ€

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:39 pm

ripshaw wrote:laura, I have felt the same way about our help template being too long, I'm glad you brought it up. The template as it is is a little overwhelming. As far as a quick vs complete template goes... I vote lets try to keep things simple and stick with 1 template everyone can use. Honestly this cut-down is good but theres a couple more ?s that could go. There are 2 questions regarding shells in the tank. And IMO, lack of spare shells to change into is not going to make a crab unhealthy in the short-term (in MOST cases) so that could probably be eliminated. Also I'd like to see a question in there asking if people mist their crabs directly (as in in the face) because that has been a big issue in the past from what I've seen in the forums.
A lot of people post of here about their crabbies going naked. IMO, the question about the amount of spare shells should be kept. That way, it could be easier to tell why the crab went naked.

Overall, great template! People don't want to spend a long time filling out questions if there is an emergency. I think this is more clear-cut than the old template, which sort of goes around the point of the question, meaning that it doesn't go right to the point.

I vote that this template should replace the old one. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Since everyone voted in favor of the replacement and a few of the moderators approved I went ahead. The old template has been moved to the emergency archives.

Thanks everyone for your input! I think we made a better template.