Harmful Food Ingredients. ***Last update: 8-16-07***

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:49 am

I have to comment on the EQ. It's in the hermit crab variety bites, and I used to feed it to my babies. Until they started coming up from molts very deformed. Some of their claw would be missing or rotted off, legs deformed, and some deaths.

I REMOVED this stuff from my feeding parlor, and I have had NO MORE bad molts. Everything now is either from Hermit Crab Addiction or NarNar. My molt issues have went away, and my crabs molts are great now. I just had a jumbo PP come up looking beautiful.

STAY away from the processed crab foods :evil:

Good sticky...
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:06 pm

i give my crabs some fresh food, but honestly is our frresh food really any safer for them? as humans we can take a lot of pesticides and poisons in our bodies that a little hermie cannot. so we might not notice that bit of poison on that apple, and that little bit of cyanide won't do us in on those beans, but they could be lethal to a tiny crab.

with all of the chemicals being absorbed by plants as they grow and being dumped on them as well, the fruits aren't necessarily any safer than the store bought food. i mean these products list their ingredients, but what is in an orange?does it list the chemicals used to help it grow to kill weeds and insects, to clean it, to keep it ripe on the store shelf?

no they just call it an orange. how many people have died from bacterial infection after eating tainted spinach?

i agree the chemicals may be bad, but they are also on the bottom of the list of ingredients, so the amounts of them in the foods are very slight, for all we know the amounts in the fruits and veggies we buy could be worse.

if they are form your own garden they are likely safe, but even then, maybe your soil is rich in copper and your plants have more copper than is healthy.

my point is that if we could all grow our own food we would likely be healthier, yet we buy most of our stuff at a store where we can't ensure that it is safe. so don't feel bad for feeding your crabs store bought crab food unless you plan on not buying store bought food as well.

at least with the store bought stuff i know that the crabs are getting the good things, i can't stop them form getting the bad, but i can try to make sure they get the good.

ok i'll stop now, lol.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:08 pm

That's why many of us feed organic fresh foods, to minimize exposure to chemicals.

Our observations of crab health with a fresh food diet is that color, energy and growth rate increase with fresh foods. We also notice fewer molting deaths and deformities. All observations point us in the direction that commercial crab foods are not the best nutritional options, or even an equally good option to fresh foods.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 am

If you have trouble finding good food, Epicurean Hermit sells good, organic food.

www.epicureanhermit.com

Topic author
Justin

Post by Justin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:29 pm

Omg
propylene glycol (found in those vanilla cookies!)

thick colorless liquid antifreeze: a colorless thick sweet-tasting liquid derived from propylene and used as an antifreeze in brake fluid, and as a solvent and lubricant.

And isn't high fructose corn syrup sugar?
I TRIED ONE OF THOSE TODAY!!! They taste pretty good! I bought them a long time ago and found out they were bad but never threw them away. My cuz said he would give me 5 bucks if i ate one, which i did =]

Topic author

Hmmm...

Post by Guest » Thu May 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Thank you so much for this info! I read the reviews on PetCo.com for ZooMed hermit crab food, and they were all great, but even if the hermies like it, it doesn't mean it is really good for them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Propylene glycol is used in lot's of cosmetics it also has medical uses. It is much less toxic than ethylene glycol which is true antifreeze. Still not something I would feed to my crabs though.