What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2007~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:48 pm

here r 2 dishes to feed the crabbies:
dish 1:
oats, flax and sesame seed, lettuce, carrots, a flower, drizzled with oil and on the side peanut butter
dish 2:
flowers, oats, nuts, seeds, a meat of ur choice and a ;eave of ur choice: mulberry, maple leaves, ect.
unfortunatley i am allergic to maple leaves inthere plain form: i had my eyes swelled shut. :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Worm castings
bananna
salmon
apple diced
celery leaves
cucumber
honey
coconut shavings

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:34 pm

Work has been nuts this week so the crabs have gotten nothing but kibbles. They liked them fine (thanks NarNar!) but I felt guilty enough to whip up a dish with all their fresh favorites.

The base of this is something new. I mashed brown, long grain rice, dried coconut and a few drops of blueberry pomegranate juice together into a paste and set that in the bottom of the dish. I topped it with fruit salad (blueberries and strawberries), vegetable salad (lettuce, spirulina powder and carrots) and krill.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:53 pm

banana, crabby salsa(ordered from store) salmon,banana carrot cheese smoothie, and blue green powder(ordered from store)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:21 am

Another crab meal that also works for you: a nice summer fruit salad that tends to go over well at potlucks because it withstands the heat pretty well. You can change the proportions to your preference but I usually buy 2 packages of strawberries, 1 package blueberries, 4 large kiwi fruits, 2 pink lady apples, 1 clump of grapes and 1 orange.

Get yourself a big bowl with a kitchen towel in the bottom, hanging over the edges. Wash everything and put the grapes and blueberries in, slice the strawberries and kiwi and dump those in next, slice the apple and put into a separate bowl, peel the orange and squeeze the juice and pulp in with the apples, mix them together well and let them soak for a few minutes (this will keep the apples from turning brown), pull the pulp from the apple chunks and dump them into the big bowl. Then pull out your towel out of the bottom of the bowl to mix it all together without bruising the fruit (especially the blueberries, which smush easily). If you want to be fancy, you can set aside a few nice slices of kiwi fruit and arrange those on the top. A cup of this will run about 90 calories, give or take, and is a really healthy snack.

For the crabs, grab a bit of everything and slice into smaller chunks. I also like to grate some orange rind on the top and here it is:

Dawn
Founding Member
Founding Member

Mine go nuts for:

Post by Dawn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Mine go nuts for:

Air popped popcorn
Peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
dried shrimp or krill
dried papaya (Tank especially)
Hermit crab LOVER since March 2003.

If my advice doesn't help, please PM me right away. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma

Dawn
Founding Member
Founding Member

AND

Post by Dawn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:29 pm

And chicken bones. They love the chicken bones when we've had fried chicken for dinner. I found someone put a piece of bone in their tank so I tried it after Thanksgiving by putting the turkey leg in the tank. Pretty soon we had three guys on one end and our biggest guy on the other end..All were trying to drag that thing off and hide it.
Hermit crab LOVER since March 2003.

If my advice doesn't help, please PM me right away. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Dish 1
oats (broken into pieces with ur hand or whole)
worm castings
sesame seeds
crushed cuttlebone
lilac bouquet- can use flowers if u dont have this
russian olive bouquet- can use leaves if u dont have this

dish 2
rose hips
hibiscus-sp? flowers
maple leaves\maple cookie
flax seed
bladderwack

dish 3
bugs n nutz- or another bug
shrimp soaked in oil
sprilina on top of everything

i get the crabotanicals and maple cookies as well as some other things at www.thehappyhermitcrab.com i also get things from www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com feel free to change ingredians around! i like to drizzle oil on top of my foods. this is my crabs all time favorite!!!

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:45 pm

heres whats being served 2nite:

dish 1:
yellow and green aquash, sprinkled with sprilina asparugus, dusted with srilina as well
put dopes of ur choice of oil on top, then cover the bottom with oil and sprinkle falxseed on the oil, as well as the squash and asparugus

dish 2:
coconut, sesame seeds, topped off with bladderwack. add a little bit of oil on top

dish 3:
shrimp tails drizzled with honey, then sprinkled with crushed cuttlebone
mixturue of oats and hibisus-sp? flowers drizzled with oil

on the side: honey

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:03 am

dish 1:
Crabby Cookie
combine pulverized flax seeds and sesame seeds. then add in pulverized dried hubiscus flowers. add in shredded leaves that r crabby safe such as maple leaves. mix in spirlina and crushed cuttlebone. then add in honey till it all sticks togther flatten it out and top off with honey

dish 2:
honey oat ball
mix togther the following: oats, rose hips, torn up raisen pieces, and coconut. then mix bladdewwack. finally6 add in honey till it all sticks together an droll into a ball. sprinkle sea salt on top.

dish 3:
put in a few pieces of shrimp, sprinkle with crused cuttlebone, and put ur choive of oil on top.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Fresh salmon! John went fishing and gave me roe, liver, spleen and some fresh flesh, you'll never guess which was the most popular! The LIVER! I couldn't believe it, I figured roe for sure, but nope! LIVER! He's going fishing on Tuesday, so hopefully they'll get more, if not I froze a whole bunch for them :)

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Crabby Cookie #2
take on leaf and tear it into little shreds. mix peanut butter into it. then mix oats and flowers. mush togther in a circle. top off with a fresh friut or honey. cuttlebone can be mixed in for calcium

this food dosent have a name but both humans and crabs can enjoy!
take a chunk of apple for the crabs and spread with peanut butter. then put raisens shreds on top. for crabs u can add in cuttlebone, flowers or oats if u want 2

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Crab nachos, all with leftovers from our taco night….
ground turkey, salsa (tomatoes, bell pepper, corn), chips (Food Should Taste Good brand multigrain), guacamole (plain avocado) and rice.

I'veGotCrabs

Post by I'veGotCrabs » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:18 pm

it's not rally a recipe but my babies love fresh ground almond, cashew, and honey roasted peanut butters from my local whole foods store.
5 pp's(largest to smallest): Rogue, Ty, Scout, Shelley, Jekyll,

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:17 am

Today we're feasting on NarNar's Staple, FFN&G, raisins, craisins, and dried krill in the dry dish.

In the wet dish we have peanut butter, Organic bananas, organic sweet potato and raw honey.
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18