Mixing sizes?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author

Mixing sizes?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 pm

I have 3 large PP's and 4 tiny PP's...
I'm in the process of putting together a 100 gallon tank... one side ECO-Earth , the other side play Sand.. lots of vines, wood, hidey huts, nets, and several second levels... Fresh water bubble pond, and a salt water bubble pond..
My question is... Once everyone surfaces from my existing tanks... is it going to be ok.... putting the different sizes together...???>

I know they do in stores... without as good of conditions.. But they also have lots of deaths... I would hate to lose anyone...

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:18 pm

Yes, it's fine. I just wouldn't put a micro in with a jumbo. :)
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

jordan.eth

Post by jordan.eth » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:35 am

I have a medium, two smalls and two micros in my 'tat and there's never been any problems. People on the HCA even have jumbos in with micros with no troubles. They're all together in the wild, so they should be fine together in a 'tat. Just make sure there's enough room for everyone, which shouldn't be hard in a 100 gallon tank! Make sure you post some pictures when it's done :)
3 Es: Frederick, Shelby, Sebastian

2 Ruggies: Cooper, Claudia

Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:59 am

I haven't had any problems mixing my guys together. I have teeny crabs in with small, medium and even a large/jumbo guy. Everyone gets together really well, and quite honestly, the teenies kind of rule the roost!

:-)
El
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Its fine to mix sizes. The only thing to worry about it something like a micro with a jumbo. B/c the jumbo, being as large as he is, could actually crush the little bitty guys accidentally.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:32 pm

I have one that is really BIG... Jumbo maybe...
And she is somewhat of a bully... :evil:
I hope that with enough levels and places to hide and play.. She will leave everyone else alone....
Thanks for your help!! :D

I'm working hard on the tank... Hopefully have it done by MONDAY!
YAY!!!!

Just need to allow time for curing of the silicone sealer and the tank to level out....Heat/humidity.;...
I will send photos...

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:44 am

cant wait to see your tank! i have had no problem mixing my sizes, and actuall, mixing sizes usually means less shell fisghts, because they are lots of differnet sized shells.

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:48 am

all sizes are fine together in a tat that big. my jumbo and teenies are best friends

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:33 pm

I actually have a jumbo with an ant & they get along perfectly fine!!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 pm

I mix sizes too. I think the trick is to make sure everybody is well fed.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 am

Food is not a problem...I tend to put more food than they will eat....

I have one bully... but I think I might just keep her separate...

Thanks for the help...

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by megs » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:23 am

With bigger tanks, they kind of establish their own territories or areas they prefer to hang out in.
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."