McCormick's Sea Salt

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

McCormick's Sea Salt

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:25 pm

I was eating out a few weeks ago and noticed the salt grinder on the table. It was McCormick's Sea Salt and naturally I thought of my crabs. Haha. I looked at the ingredients and the only ingredient was sea salt. Here is the product's page:

http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6567

Is this crab-safe? It doesn't seem as if it's table salt. So is this an easy buy to sprinkle over the crabs' food?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:27 pm

I wouldn't know, but I have the same thing and I wondered about it too.

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:22 pm

Even if it is safe, I'd think it would be VERY expensive to use regularly...
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:28 pm

the big difference in table salt and sea salt, (and being kosher or not) is the fact that normal table salt has iodine in it.

Any anti-caking agents is going to be brand specific, and some "table salt" is perfectly fine for crabs... as long as its pure NaCl, which can come from both sea salt and table salt.

The main difference isn't so much "sea salt" vs. "table salt"... it's what extra garbage is or isn't in there. As far as that brand... I'm really not sure. I usually think that if they want salt, they've got it from the water. =)

blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:07 pm

It says on the site that it has an anti-cracking agent in it. Its a no.
coloradocritterco.com

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:43 pm

How in the world did I miss that! Thanks for the heads up. :)