Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:48 am

That's really cool. Can't wait to see some pictures if you are able to get them. :glasses7:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:49 am

I should be able to, my camera has a nice macro setting. Although they are VERY small.

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:44 am

That's great, Lola!! I was hoping I'd pick up a pregnant one and save myself some hunting/gathering.....

Mine keep turning up dead. I don't think I have any live ones left in there. :( Could the high salt content of --well-- everything be doing them in?
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:52 am

Here are my rollie babies. Pardon the fuzziness, it's the best I could do on short notice.

Cynderella727

Post by Cynderella727 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:56 am

MamaZelly wrote:Mine keep turning up dead. I don't think I have any live ones left in there. :( Could the high salt content of --well-- everything be doing them in?
I was wondering the same thing. I have not picked up any rollie pollies yet for the very same reason. I am afraid that the high salt concentration in my substrate will kill them off.
Mommy of 1 human, 1 cat, 2 dogs, and 6 Purple Pinchers.
~Crabby since July '07

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 am

Cynderella727 wrote: I was wondering the same thing. I have not picked up any rollie pollies yet for the very same reason. I am afraid that the high salt concentration in my substrate will kill them off.
Ditto. I'm heavy on the salt.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Hmm, the salt doesn't seem to be an issue for my rollies. I've not had any deaths as far as I can tell.

Congrats on the new babies, Lola!! More workers for the janitorial crew :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:44 pm

i just gathered two more today. :D

i dont know about the salt problem...? maybe.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:22 pm

The salt may not be a problem at all... As they are crustaceans which means the exo is solid... But I'm just not so sure about the gills or if they are found on beaches. I never really looked into pill bugs much beyond that they were terrestrial crustaceans. :dontknow:

Now... Worms on the other hand... I think I'd be very reserved about sticking worms in my tank, especially since Cocofibre is not exactly synonymous with soil... :?

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:05 pm

i have a load of woodlice in my garden, lots of different kinds, the Grey non-rollers, brown soft shells and the black and yellow rollers. id put some on my tat, but its all sand. also, for the small bugs, a few ladybirds are great to kill them off

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:50 am

How's everyone's rollie pollie project going? :?:

i never see mine. it might be because i have only a small corner of EE in my tank that they all probably ran to...? :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Well mine are happily breeding, though mine have their own tat. I haven't put any in with the hermies yet.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:55 pm

My rollie pollie project is at a halt until I can get more EE and another shower caddy (that is not a corner one). Mine kept falling into the water dishes!

So, I am going to put the water dishes in a second level once I get enough stuff to do that. I might make a moss pit out of a coconut or hemp net. :dontknow:

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:48 pm

Raen wrote:The salt may not be a problem at all... As they are crustaceans which means the exo is solid... But I'm just not so sure about the gills or if they are found on beaches. I never really looked into pill bugs much beyond that they were terrestrial crustaceans. :dontknow:
In my tank, I saw a couple of roly-poly's basking on the decor-rocks on the saltwater pool, so it may be okay for them, I suppose.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Im a tad confused.. can rollie pollies live in the sand? most of my tank is sand and i never see them! I'll google it. 8)