Link between mould in crabitat and Owner throat infection?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author

Link between mould in crabitat and Owner throat infection?

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:05 am

Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to post this but just wanted to ask - has anyone else noticed any link between cleaning the crabitat and getting throat infections?! I just ask because I think that's what's happening to me, although I'm not 100% certain.

See, I gave the crabitat a good clean after noticing a small mould patch developing on the climbing wall. I immediatley discarded the climbing wall and thankfully the crabs themselves seem fine, and seem to have been wise enough to avoid the climbing wall for a couple of days. I'm just wondering if I may have breathed in any of the bacteria which may have caused the mould patch (which was white/yellow) as I now have a throat infection in the form of white patches on the back of my throat. This is the third time since Christmas!

There may be no link, but I just wondered if anyone else had noticed anything along these lines?

Cheers
Gem

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:51 am

I'm no expert but I'd so very likely no.

Interestingly enough though, gargling with hot salt water and separately lemon-honey water will help kill the infection.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks for that Lola, I'll definatley give that a try. I've been plied with throat sweets all morning and I'll no doubt get some antibiotics at the drs today too... probably just one of those things then I guess!

Gem

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:16 am

I couldn't imagine so. :? But, you never know for sure I guess.
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:23 am

If you have allergies, just the mold spores hanging around the 'tat might be causing you irritation. I'm highly allergic and asthmatic, and mold in particular will set off all kinds of misery for me.
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:36 am

Ditto Zelly on that one. I have an allergy to mold that will actually constrict my airways if I breathe in the spores. It can cause irritation, to be sure. In doing so, depending on how bad the irritation is, it MAY make you more susceptible to a bacterial infection as the area may be raw and inflammed, but it won't be the root cause... That requires bacteria... lol