whats the diff between coppersulfate and copper sulphate

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Gab33

whats the diff between coppersulfate and copper sulphate

Post by Gab33 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:11 pm

i read commercial brand food ingredients and one says copper sulfate other says copper sulphate. r they the same thing.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:32 pm

The difference is a space between the words. Copper Sulfate is an ionic compound with a chemical formula of Copper, Sulfer, and four Oxygens (CuSO4). Yes I'm doing Chemistry in science.

Lady WolfStorm
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Lady WolfStorm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Copper Sulfate and Copper Sulphate are the same thing. The difference is in the spelling, and that's because it depends on the area of the world you are in.

Copper Sulfate is the more common spelling.

Copper Sulphate is used primarily among the Commonwealth Nations (United Kingdom, Canada, etc.)

Many US English words have different spellings in other countries, or may have the same word (by spelling) but different meanings.

For instance, United States "Soccer" is a game containing a ball with black and white hexagonal shapes, but "Soccer" in England means the sport with the brown pig-skin ball that gets thrown around.

But back on topic, here's the link to the info I got on Copper Sulfate/Sulphate:

http://www.answers.com/topic/copper-ii-sulfate
Proud mother to 4 PPs: Boss Hogg, Dollar, and No-Name (PPs, 4+ Years)
Tommy 8/30/10
RIP Mr. E, March 11, 2011-July 14, 2012 (E); Fizban 8/21/10 - 2012; Sandy, Chip and Dale (2007-2012) (PPs)

Willow

Post by Willow » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:33 pm

Lady WolfStorm wrote:For instance, United States "Soccer" is a game containing a ball with black and white hexagonal shapes, but "Soccer" in England means the sport with the brown pig-skin ball that gets thrown around.
I think you're confused about football. In the U.S., "Football" is "the sport with the brown pig-skin ball that gets thrown around", in England (and everywhere else), what they call "Football" is "a game containing a ball with black and white hexagonal shapes"---what Americans call "Soccer". The game in England involving a brown pigskin ball is called "Rugby". Nobody except Americans have any sport called "Soccer".

But otherwise, I agree: copper sulphate and copper sulfate are the same thing, it's just a matter of spelling.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 am

Heh heh, us Canadians also have soccer :)
We also have an unfortunate habit of sticking the letter "u" in random words, like moult or gauge. My dad's spells like an American, and my mom like a Canadian, so I tend to use one version or the other if I'm not paying attention :) :roll:

Topic author
Gab33

Post by Gab33 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:11 pm

ill stay away from both of them.