"Training" Hermies?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author

"Training" Hermies?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:28 am

I have a quick question. My new E's are all petrified of me. I mean I can't even look in their direction from my bed 5 feet away, or god forbid move without them heading for the hills. I've done nothing to invoke such fear, but I'm taking it as just some stress brought on by the new digs.

Is there any way I can show them that I mean them no harm, especially when I change positions on my bed? Because I feel bad watching one hesitantly creep up to the food bowl, then scurry away the second I go to crack my back...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:30 am

maybe talk to them... my office hermies would hear me talk all the time and would come out often during the day.

good luck

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 pm

When I talk to them they back up slowly, then run when they think they're far enough. Like I want to show them that I'm not the enemy by hanging out with them, but just that freaks them out...

Mr.Krabs

Post by Mr.Krabs » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 pm

I would try holding them daily, and try to give them food and water, show them you mean no harm - all my crabs run but I don't really mind cuz I pick them up anyway! :twisted:

when I play with mine for a long time they go under to de-stress but I don't mind THAT much - the big guys aren't scared of me because they know I supply the pumpkin. :hlol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Well I only got mine 5 days ago, wouldn't that stress them out??

MinorHeaven

Post by MinorHeaven » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:06 pm

It took a long time for my teeny Ecuadorian crab to get used to me. But I was patient; every day I held him, if only for a few minutes, until finally he came out and started running all over my hand. Now he is not afraid of me at all. Just be patient. They'll get used to you eventually.

CrabbyKev

Post by CrabbyKev » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:03 pm

I would wait several more days or even weeks until they get used to your presence. Then, softly talk to them in a deep voice. Then gradually you can start picking them up short periods at a time. If they destress by digging down, let them be.

Most people don't do this. Patience is the key.

Soon, well not soon, the crabs will get used to your presence

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Yeah, I've been keeping hands off as best I can (sometimes they've gotten stuck between the wall and shower caddy).

I guess Jack just spoiled me.

ElinaGrace

Post by ElinaGrace » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:20 am

Don't touch those crabs!

They need to destress first, so give it a few days. Just by supplying food and water they'll eventually lose all fear of you. But really, don't handle them for a while, it'll only make it worse.

When I first got mine, none of them would come out of the shell, now they practically run toward the food bowl when I put it in, just because they've gotten used to me.

Yes, it could take a long while, but these things take time. Good luck with the new crabbies!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:18 am

Yes, I know. I've only handled them when they get stuck (as in wedged between the tank glass and the shower caddy--there's a small space in the bad just big enough for them to get stuck in).

Julia Coenobita

Post by Julia Coenobita » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:07 pm

Kaitie wrote:Yes, I know. I've only handled them when they get stuck (as in wedged between the tank glass and the shower caddy--there's a small space in the bad just big enough for them to get stuck in).
Aww, poor crabbies! They get stuck? :lol: From experience I know that my hermit crabs always get friendlier after a molt. Except Apollo, but he's, well, Apollo. :x :P :lol: Apollo is the E that ALWAYS digs. It's so annoying b/c I never see him anymore! :roll: I've never heard of people training their crabs to be friendlier, all I've ever did was wait for them to molt. :)
*Julia Coenobita- Crabbing Since 6/3/06*
PPs: Amethyst, Chrysoprase
Es: Apollo

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:05 am

Yeah, sometimes when they're climbing they try to go up the shower caddy, and well.. Not enough room. They can wedge themselves in pretty good if they put their hearts to it.

Well I don't mean it in a sense that I've "trained" them, just get them more used to you.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I have found that food is the way to any animal's heart (works for guys too) LOL!
I just make a point of giving them extra yummy treats and when they are eating I will very slowly put my hand in there to "smooth out some sand" or "re-arrange some things". They spook at first but, they seem to get used to you quicker this way.
I don't know, works for me. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Hand feeding works well, I use a hermit crab spoon from The Crabbage Patch to befriend my large hermit crabs and Pazuzu has really warmed up to it! For food on the spoon I use FRM - Fruit Treat which is a commercial hermit crab food that hermit crabs like and doesn't include toxic perspectives.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:05 am

Well here's a small update:

My one as of yet unnamed E (the larger Hitachin twin) has been up and about, doing whatever. He still stops dead whenever I move, but he sees no reason to hide unless I attempt to discover his gender (he always covers his body with his BP *sigh*)

Another crab, Hinrei, scared me like 5 minutes ago when I came back from brushing my teeth by sitting on the cuttlebone in the tank, staring at me. He didn't do anything as I gingerly made my way to the bed, nor did he do anything when I cleaned off the bed. So I decided to test my luck a bit. I leaned in towards the tank. He looked at me and pretty much went "I'm done with you" and casually walked to the coco-hut (of course he kept his eye on me the whole time to make sure I didn't do anything crazy, but...).

So they're getting a bit better :)