How do I clean an empty tank?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

How do I clean an empty tank?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

A fellow crabber gave me her empty 10g tank and I'd like to get it ready for a new clan. :wink: Her colony died from mites :( , so I want to make sure that it's clean. I think it's been awhile, but I want to be careful. Thanks for your advice! :)

Topic author
Chompman

Post by Chompman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 pm

I know a lot of people will use a water downed solution with vinegar in it.

If you can survive the smell and let it soak for a few hours this will work for the best.

Xena

Post by Xena » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Yikes! Yeah I would definitely make sure it gets a good scrubbing and soaking if she had the bad mites that kill crabs.

Do a vinegar and water solution and if you can, spray the walls and base and corners with it and let it soak over night and then rinse it with warm water. You can do it in your bathtub. Don't fret if there is a bit of the vinegar smell left over as it won't bother them.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 pm

I would use a vinegar solution. :wink: It's crab safe and a good way to go. You can use a little lemon, too, but I wouldn't use too much. :)

Definitely stray away from any harsh chemical cleaners. :glasses1:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll definitely start cleaning it tomorrow! Good idea to soak it overnight, xena. :idea: :wink: I cant put ti in the bathtub, though, it has a uth on the side :? But I can rinse with wet paper towels. Excellent advice thank you!

And nope, absolutely no harsh chemicals, kili! 8)

I'm hoping to get some pp's at the end of this week. I wrote in another thread that a student of mine is going to Marquette this week and the pet store she goes to has pp's. :shock: It's unexpected, so I have to get the tat up and going asap! :wink:

CrabbyKev

Post by CrabbyKev » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm

lizinlanse wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll definitely start cleaning it tomorrow! Good idea to soak it overnight, xena. :idea: :wink: I cant put ti in the bathtub, though, it has a uth on the side :? But I can rinse with wet paper towels. Excellent advice thank you!

And nope, absolutely no harsh chemicals, kili! 8)

I'm hoping to get some pp's at the end of this week. I wrote in another thread that a student of mine is going to Marquette this week and the pet store she goes to has pp's. :shock: It's unexpected, so I have to get the tat up and going asap! :wink:

Can't wait to See the new PPs! 8)

:worthless:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:30 pm

thanks, kevinoh33! Keep your fingers crossed they're still there on Friday! :roll: