What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2009~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

crabbymommie

Making my own dry staple food

Post by crabbymommie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:43 pm

I want to start making my own dried staple food. I have got everything else down but I have no idea where to start with this one.

Thanks,
crabbymommie

Xena

Re: Making my own dry staple food

Post by Xena » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:37 pm

crabbymommie wrote:I want to start making my own dried staple food. I have got everything else down but I have no idea where to start with this one.

Thanks,
crabbymommie
What ambition! I believe someone on here started doing their own as well after buying a food dehydrator...

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Dish #1:
Cucumber, carrots, and green bell pepper

Dish #2:
Clams (first time ever for my gang!)

Dish #3:
Oatmeal, made with collard greens, strawberries, and honey

They're digging it.
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 pm

Mixed Greens Salad of Fresh Dandelion leaves, red clover and dried bladderwrack dressed with a little fish oil

Sliced persimmon with millet puffs.

:flower:

Topic author

What’s on today’s menu & recipe sharing 2/09-8/09

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:43 am

This thread is for sharing your crab’s favorite recipes and meals, and getting great ideas from other crabbers.

This information will be archived every about every 6 months, so be sure to check the Food and Water archives for more great ideas.

Bon appetit!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Creole Gumbo: I mixed a little dehydrated red bellpepper with The Crabbage Patch 'Surf & Turf'. Then I added some freezedried chicken and mysis shrimp, plus a sprinkle of kelp granules. Added a little dechlor water, and microwaved for about 7 seconds.

Boy does it stink! My crew will probably love it!

For dessert I spread out a disk of worm castings in a small shell, and sprinkled ground cuttlebone on top and patted it down like a crust. Then I added some diced green apples drizzled with honey. It looks like a little apple tart!

Xena

Post by Xena » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:44 am

Last night was one shell with can-o-shrimp (river) and can-o-cricket, which was another smash success for some! Another shell had krill, and I watched as one of the crabs literally snatched one of them up and dragged it off and was devouring it...and the main shell had freeze-dried banana and apricot sprinkled with spirulina...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Seafarer's Supper: I mixed dried purple and green seaweed with Bladderwrack, Rooibos, Spirulina powder, Kelp granules and little snips from a sea sponge. I garnished with a 'sea cookie' from The Crabbage Patch (it's a tiny sand dollar!)

For a midnight snack I put in a small shell of 'mixed nuts': pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, safflower seeds, sesame seeds, millet, walnuts, sunflower seeds and dusted it with psyllium powder.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:13 pm

Walnut/Shrimp unStir Fry: Baby Shrimps on a bed of celery leaves, diced celery, brocolli and shredded carrot sprinkled with walnuts.

For dessert: A bowl of 'pudding': cuttlebone powder mixed with buckwheat honey and a couple of apple/beet flatbread cookies from THHC!

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Coconut, Scrambled eggs (White, yolk and shell!) and, Bananas, Grapes, Cuttlebone and of course....Apple ''pudding'' mixed with Baby food and Lettuce.

They LOOOOOVE It!
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:10 am

So my husband was out of town, and my live-at-my-house niece was out and about so I was kinda bored - so I made sushi for my crabs!

When my niece got home and saw me fixing a little tiny bowl of rice, she just rolled her eyes and said "That's for the hermies, isn't it??" and laughed.

My recipe for Wa-mu sushi

Spread a layer of sushi rice on a piece of saran wrap
add a layer of purple seaweed
add a row of freezedried meal worms
add some grated carrot

Roll the sushi and coat with sesame seeds - slice and serve!
I only put one slice in the crabitat tonight, so froze the others - I don't know if it'll defrost well - but we'll see!

Here's a picture of how it turned out:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6831/023n.jpg

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:04 am

Hankie wrote:...Here's a picture of how it turned out:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6831/023n.jpg

Wow. That looks really nice. 8)

As for me, just a couple of pieces of shattered coconut (shells, meat and fibers) sprinkled with the Colorado Care Co. Crab Kibble.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Fresh Pineapple, NarNar's PBJ Kibble, and some freeze dried bloodworm and shrimp medley.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 pm

Hermie Omelet: Break one egg into a plastic cup and crush the shell into it. With a plastic fork, stir up the yolk, white and shell really good. Microwave for 20 seconds - stir again - microwave for 20 more seconds - stir again. Spoon out a portion into your food dish and sprinkle with freezedried krill and bee pollen!

Serve with Fresh Apple Crisp: Slice green apple in small hermit bite sized chunks. Sprinkle with rolled oats and drizzle with honey.

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:31 pm

Dead crickets and meal worms sautayed in honey, Oyster shells and Cuttle bone. And some mango and grape on the side.
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)