What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2009~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

crabbymommie

Post by crabbymommie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Fresh clover honey, dried staple from narnar, popcorn with sprinula and a pineapple fruit chilly's from the hermit crab addiction (there was none left this morning)
visit me at http://hermitcrabcolony.blogspot.com/

37 crabs and counting. 75 gallon and a 40 breeder.
Mother to an anazing 4 year old boy. My husband thinks I am obsessed with hermies but I love them. Who can say no to those cute little eyes staring up at you? No, really, `cuz I can't.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 am

A thawed Mysis shrimp cube, and a mixed salad of fresh wild blackberry leaves, wild rose petals and clover on the side.

Topic author

Re: Menu

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:51 am

Jynx wrote:So, I've been reading the menus from y'all... and thinking to myself "You've got to be kidding!"... "Those Hermie's eat better than I do!"

So this morning I made myself some french toast and thought... why not! I'll give them a little treat and see what happens... They loved it, and I saw four of them munching away on the piece as the day progressed.

OK... I'm not going to make sushi for them (I don't even eat it)... but you've won me over and I'll be making a special treat for them from time to time!

I am now a believer!
LOL..check out some of the old recipe threads in the archives... You'll see realllly exotic stuff... Although Hankie... I'm not sure who wins on the gourmet status...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 am

Hermielover: I DO love to cook for my crabbies!

Last night they had a little chicken omelet with beepollen, bladderwrack and dulse seaweed in one dish - and a fresh green salad of grape leaves and blackberry leaves sprinkled with sunflower petals and dressed with raw buckwheat honey in the other.

Lots and lots of crab-tracks all over each dish! I think they liked it!![/quote]

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 pm

First time I'm giving hibiscus flowers. They like 'em. 8)

Xena

Post by Xena » Fri May 01, 2009 9:52 am

MudCrabDude wrote:First time I'm giving hibiscus flowers. They like 'em. 8)
I tried them recently as well and mine totally loved them too...

Currently, they are mostly obsessed with rotten apples and fortune cookies...

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 am

Grapes, tuna and coconut....with a side of oyster shells and worm castings and strawberries.
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Mon May 04, 2009 11:39 am

Mine are getting fresh mango, apple, baby carrots, and krill. Out to be a pig out tonight. :)

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Tue May 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Yesterday (haven't fed 'em yet today) was mango, krill, coconut, and a mixed veggies kibble I made a while ago. In another shell is a bit of molasses.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri May 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Chicken, mushroom, black olives, and a cherry tomato

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri May 15, 2009 10:23 pm

Live crickets - incapacitated for ease of feeding. Being gobbled eagerly up as I typed this :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 16, 2009 8:12 am

My crabs were fed chopped up carrots and romaine lettuce yesterday with a little bit of banana. :)

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 pm

They will have freshly caught and broiled Maine lobster exo and meat ( minus the butter of course ;) ). My neighbors are from Maine and brought some home from a vacation ( The wife's father has a lobster boat ). Thank goodness I wasn't the one to have to broil them live, I am sensitive about that type of thing. :(
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Mmmmm.... tonight my crabbies dine on grilled chicken breast on tender romaine and dandelion greens - with diced fresh cucumuber. For dessert -crushed fresh cherries with oats and molasses on top!!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat May 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Xena wrote: I tried them recently as well and mine totally loved them too...

Currently, they are mostly obsessed with rotten apples and fortune cookies...
I have some on the way and I will be trying them for the first time, too! :D