Removable 2nd Level

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Removable 2nd Level

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:06 pm

I'm trying to put together a second level.

I've used nets, but I want something a little more stable. I've put together some platforms, and wanted to know if there's a way I can put them in and keep them up, but still be able to remove them for cleanings and stuff.

Could I just make little ledges with aquarium sealant, or what?

Disgruntled Crab

Post by Disgruntled Crab » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Well here ya go LOL I just helped a forum buddy out on my 2nd and 3rd levels.

Remember aquarium sealant is just a sealant. It will give especially with weight. I don't want any of my levels to fail on my guys and hurt any of them.

Ill just copy and paste the pm i sent:
Here is a picture of the cross brace. That bracket wasn't heated to make the 90°. I thought about the heat after i got into making them to save time and to have added strength.

You can use a butane torch to heat the plexi to bend it, something like this
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-59914/Detail

To cut it:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 510AAiTnGl

These people have a bunch of ideas.
I found it easier to score it with a utility razor knife a few times and it will just break right on off. I used 1/8 thick plexi. Its alot easier to work with than 1/4.

Either a dremel tool with a cutting wheel or razor knife done the trick for me.

I used something like this
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ac ... tml?ref=42

It is a propane torch. I bought it a while back to thaw some water pipes that got frozen, so i all ready had it it. If i didn't have a torch i would get something like a butane touch.

The 3m tape, is like this
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

BUT its wider and for outdoor use. I could not find it on their website or online for some reason. But its in the same section with the double coated tapes. All of the indoor double coated tapes are rated at 2lbs per 4 inches. Were the out door tape is rated at 5lbs per 4 inches. Should be able to find it at Lowes or home depot, maybe even Walmart.

Online draw back using the tape is you better have your line level and marked on the aquarium glass and get it right when you place it on the glass. Cause its super sticky and is a pain to get off. Just make sure both surfaces of the glass and plexi are clean and the tape will stick like a champ.

If you need to remove it you will need to use a razor blade to remove it from the glass.

I also used Velcro on the bottom of the levels and brackets to make sure they would not shift any.

Oh yeah about for got , cement.

If you want to you can order some of this:
http://www.ellsworth.com/display/produc ... ductid=804

Its the best thing for acrylic .I didnt have any locally and didnt want to wait for the shipping, so i done more research and found out PVC glue like this
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Either comes in a red or goldish label.
I found that most marine (acrylic ) tank builders use IPS or PVC glue to cement the acrylic and then use silicone to seal them.

I also used a small layer on silicone to cover the cemented areas, for that just in case for the hermies.

I hope I answered your questions, if you have any more feel free to ask Hope i didnt jump back and forth to much in the post

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:18 pm

oh wow...thats...complicated...what size tank was this for? I'm working with a 20 gal or a 10...if it would work in there, awesome though

Disgruntled Crab

Post by Disgruntled Crab » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 pm

55 Gal, i am going to redo my 10 gal tank once my 3 guys are up from molting.

You could try magnets like poncho
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=70519

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 am

I use dowel rods from wal-mart that I cut to the width of my tank, put little rubber stoppers on the ends and they act like tension rods to hold up anything. I actually found a seagrass basket at wal-mart in the bathroom section that I suspended between two rods using cable ties and that is my shell shop. I always have at least 6-7 crabs up there including mediums and it's never fallen. I've also used the dowel rod tension bars and set a piece of acrylic wrapped in fish net on top as a shell shop. That didn't work at well cuz the shells kept getting pushed off. But anything along those lines work great.

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:00 am

I use plastic over-the-door wreath hangers in order to be able to use the Magnaturals products I bought. The glass of my tank is too thick to support the magnets they are supposed to be attached with so I've had to get creative in order to use them. The planter ledge is right above my pools so I need to be able to easily remove and replace it. The Magnaturals are very light and made of foam so the wreath hangers attached with nylon screws and silicone sealant works well.

Last edited by sugarselections on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Bob & Souix's Mom

Post by Bob & Souix's Mom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:20 am

Sugar, thank goodness you posted that!!!
I've been anticipating ordering the Magnaturals ledges and planters and didn't give a thought to the thickness of the glass interfering with the magnets!!

What thickness do you have ? My new tank is going to have 1/4" glass..

*says a quick prayer that sugar will say his glass is thicker than 1/4".. I realllly want those planters*

Edited to say: I agree with seekheng, your 'tat is amazing !!
Last edited by Bob & Souix's Mom on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:25 am

sugarselections wrote:I use plastic over-the-door wreath hangers in order to be able to use the Magnaturals products I bought. The glass of my tank is to thick to support the magnets they are supposed to be attached with so I've had to get creative in order to use them. The planter ledge is right above my pools so I need to be able to easily remove and replace it. The Magnaturals are very light and made of foam so the wreath hangers attached with nylon screws and silicone sealant works well.

Impressive. :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:36 am

:shock: bah you guys are so much more creative than i am...

:D i appreciate the good response though, this gives me some good ideas, keep bringin' 'em in.

*nudges* maybe we could have a post with most of the successful removable 2nd levels?

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 am

Bob & Souix's Mom wrote:Sugar, thank goodness you posted that!!!
I've been anticipating ordering the Magnaturals ledges and planters and didn't give a thought to the thickness of the glass interfering with the magnets!!

What thickness do you have ? My new tank is going to have 1/4" glass..

*says a quick prayer that sugar will say his glass is thicker than 1/4".. I realllly want those planters*
1/4" glass is fine for the Magnaturals. My old 55 had 1/4" glass but I didn't realize when I got it that my 90 gallon has 1/2" glass. The 1/2" glass is too thick for the Magnaturals to be supported well (although the magnets can still lightly grasp one another through the 1/2" glass).

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm

seekheng wrote:Impressive. :D
Bob & Souix's Mom wrote:Edited to say: I agree with seekheng, your 'tat is amazing !!
Thank you muchly! I've really enjoyed creating and maintaining my 90 gallon crabitat.

theophaneia

Post by theophaneia » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 am

sugarselections wrote:Image

AMAZING!!!! SOOOO JEALOUS! :D
---**---8 PP's---**---2 E's---**
PP's-Hermies(5molts):Pirate(5molts):Manny(1molt):JimiHendrix(1molt):Violet(2molt):Rocky(2molt):Thor:Mr.Smee
E's-Curacao(5molts):Lemon(6molts):

35 MOLTS altogether
RIP Purple People Eater:Agent GH:Ellie:Sky:Dags

nora

Post by nora » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Beautiful.
I have been using adjustable locker shelves you can get at any large office supply store. They use tension to hold them against the walls of the tank. They haven't slipped yet.It has kept the shells clean(when they aren't using them as a toilet). I use different levels to place their food on so they have to hunt a little for chow.
The shelves were around $10.00.

Topic author
BlackWidow51

removeable 2nd level

Post by BlackWidow51 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:48 am

Mine is quite simple, i had a piece of good quality oak cut, about 1/2 " thick, the size I needed for my tank I then cut strips of 3/4" oak for the four legs, I attached the legs to the flat piece with aquarium glue, Then I took an regular wooden ruler, and put coconut fiber (which comes in flat squares, cut off what you need) to the ruler for a non skid ramp up to the second level. I now keep their food and water there, with some greenery I also keep extra shells under the 2nd level. Very simple, easy to make and my crabies love it.

Topic author

O__O

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Hahah all these ideas really helped me think of more ideas for second levels. I had a question about 90 gal tanks. what dimensions do they come in, if some one knows. I want to get one and I have to put the tank where the old one is and its not the biggest of shelf tops. The tanks live on top of my Cubical shelving things. oh and if someone knows where I could find decently priced tanks of any size that would be helpful as well.
Thanks
-O.M.