Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:16 pm

BobbyyzWorld wrote:wow are you serious?! what size is your tank?
75 Gallons. There little things and there's always dead ones in the pools and live ones been hunted down so....The population kinda stays where it is....
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:13 pm

peach wrote:can you even find them in Alberta? if you can't can someone send me some?
Well no, you can order online......And besides, I am an hours drive from the rockies, and the rest is history...
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 am

thread bump for someone looking for pill bug info
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:35 pm

here is an article about rollies in your 'tat on naturally crabby.

http://naturallycrabby.com/home///blog1 ... gs-to-your

And here is all things crabby

http://www.allthingscrabby.com/blog/ind ... bug?blog=3

SebbyCrab

Post by SebbyCrab » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Started with 8. 4 of them drowned. Now about 6 months later I have close to 100. (X_X) I'm going out to the yard soon to gather up some fresh genes. :hlol: Considering the tank size upgrade and the number of crabs I'm guessing 5:1 bug to crab to be pretty good numbers. It'll account for age, drowning, and becoming crab food deaths.
PP's, E's, Straws, Violas

meganterre

Post by meganterre » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:35 pm

wow, thanks for the bump. I hadn't heard this before and am now wicked excited to go find some! awesome thread!! i am actually gonna go hunt some the minute I post this reply (although, we just had snow here last week, it may be a tad bit chilly for them still!!)

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for the bump!! What a great idea. I have them in my yard all the time, I'm gonna go get a few and try putting them in my tank.

I know the article said they need "organic material" but what can I put in for the bugs to eat that's also safe for my crabs?
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:02 pm

hlhiggs87 wrote:Thanks for the bump!! What a great idea. I have them in my yard all the time, I'm gonna go get a few and try putting them in my tank.

I know the article said they need "organic material" but what can I put in for the bugs to eat that's also safe for my crabs?
You don't really need to add anything else that you are not feeding the crabs already - being crustaceans like land hermit crabs, whatever you are (or should be) feeding the land hermits will also be eaten by, and be a sufficient enough for the pill bugs.

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Okay thanks!
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:56 pm

:smt102 Well, here goes nothing! I just found some of these guys under the railroad ties in my yard.... I've tossed them into the tank.... Hope this works out alright!! [smilie=fingerscrossed.jpg]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:14 pm

so has anyone had any luck with these guys in sand only?

HydeAndRescue

Post by HydeAndRescue » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm

I am still also curious as to how much success people have had with these and only sand. I have a basket of moss, suspended from the top area of my tat, and I would rather they stay along the bottom of the tank. I feed my babes organic foods, so that should suffice as food for them, aside from cage grub.

Lemme know please.

Thanks!
Where it's GOOD to be Crabby!! It's not enough that we keep Land Hermit Crabs alive, let's help them THRIVE!
www.HydeAndRescue.com

corvas

Post by corvas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:10 pm

im doing a deep tank clean tomorrow and im gonna try this idea....im very excited since i live near woods and to top it off i get to go bug hunting

HydeAndRescue

Post by HydeAndRescue » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 pm

I already see a difference. We got about 60 of them. We are an all sand tank. The only oddity is that they like to hide IN the shells, so I've watched a couple of my babes switch and all of a sudden a rollie scampers out! Lol! But they are out of sight otherwise. I have enjoyed not cleaning up so much poo! I think all sand sort of forced them to eat more scraps than an EE tank because they can actually munch on the EE substrate itself. In anycase, very worth it and my daughter and I had a blast gathering them. We had one pregger one, but my daughter didn't want her eaten! Lol!
Where it's GOOD to be Crabby!! It's not enough that we keep Land Hermit Crabs alive, let's help them THRIVE!
www.HydeAndRescue.com

corvas

Post by corvas » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:02 pm

I have an all sand substrate and caught close to 20 pill bugs. Everyone is getting along, and my hermies seem more active now. I have had a few rollies climb up to the top of the tank and a few fell in the water dish and had to be rescued. Those are the only issues right now...that and they like to hide. :hlol: I will keep updating for everyone.