Groovy Jacuzzis

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author

Groovy Jacuzzis

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Just wanted to leave a review for Fluker's Groovy Jacuzzis. When I first saw these, I thought they seemed useless. I preferred using tupperware. And then I got a tiny and jumbo and came upon a problem. So I ordered two of these recently from Drs. Foster and Smith and am very impressed. Since my jumbo is a PP and my Es are medium and tiny, I ordered a large for freshwater and a medium for saltwater. So far so good! They look great and have a wonderful ramp that makes it easy for the crabs to get in and out. I highly recommend them.

suebee

Post by suebee » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:47 pm

ive been thinking about them too they have a great price on them here.
http://www.petdiscounters.com/c856/c648 ... p8757.html
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Cool! Same price at Drs. Foster and Smith, too. The large size is great. If I had a bit larger tank than a 20gal long I would've gotten two larges, but a large and a medium works great. I like how they are designed so you basically bury them. They look nice in the tank.

suebee

Post by suebee » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:12 pm

i think they take up less ground space deepness wise then some of the Tupperware dishes i have had. Deep without having to bury them to the bottom of the tank. I want to go see if i can see some in person before i decide but they do look nice.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:59 pm

A store near me has just one large left (along with a few smalls and mediums) and I am soooooooo tempted to snatch it up. But alas, I need to buy a lid for the tank before I go spending my money on things I can do without.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:00 pm

I love my groovy jacuzzi. I have 1 tiny, 1 jumbo, and 6 smalls, and they all love it. The lip doesn't keep out substrate as easily as they say it does, but it's certainly better than most to keep substrate out.

framptonbmx

Post by framptonbmx » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:54 pm

I've got two of these things (one for fresh and one for salt) and they are amazing. Not only do they have stairs that allow your crabs to easily climb in and out, but the surface of the bowl is slightly rough, so there is even more grip. I saw my tiny E climb right out the side of a large Groovy Jacuzzi skipping the ramp all together. This give me peace of mind and I think that's what's important.
Crabbing since 2004,

7 PP's: Rufus, Cornelius, Belle & Sebastian, Socrates Johnson, Bob Genghis Khan, & Bill S. Preston Esquire
4 E's: Snoop Crabby Crab II, Eazy-E II, Ghost Face Killah, & Nicodemus
4 Violas: Musashi Miyamoto, Makoto Nagano, Akira, & Shredder

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Sounds like several of you have both jumbo and small crabs using them, are they really deep enough for the big guys?

My DIY pyrex pools with the gravel aquarium-cemented on are bugging me as far as cleaning is concerned (I have a couple of crabbies who like to sit in the peanut butter dish and then take a swim :hlol: ).

I was just looking at these groovy jacuzzis yesterday in Petco and the large looked great, I loved the size and shape, steps and the lip, and the colors are nice. But I was wondering if a jumbo could submerge in it :?: They are 2" deep according to the specs. I've seen both my Straws and Violas at the bottom of my 3 1/2" pools walking around down there so I think they like to be all the way under, completely submerged. :shock:

I'm very tempted by these and will probably get a couple if they will be deep enough...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:33 am

Crabola-

It seems that my humongous jumbo is the most active at 4 in the morning, so I don't see him in action very often. Only when I can't sleep. But it seems he can submerge himself. Next time I'm up pulling an all nighter for college and he goes in the large groovy jacuzzi, I'll let you know! You can always measure your jumbo from top to bottom. That should work.

Rosepetalbed

my two cents....

Post by Rosepetalbed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Well from the link with my Jacuzzi I am sure everyone saw I had issues with my Jacuzzi.....I had bought it at petco for $10.00 it was a clearance item and I believe I got my moneys worth...... :hlol: While cleaning it out one day and placing it back in the tank....I noticed an hour later the water was gone....I picked it up with water in it and found the hole however I didn't try to reseal it.....that was not the only issue for me...I noticed more often then not there was "Algae" growing on the pretend steps....Granted I did have the Jacuzzi right under a heat lamp.....it was still annoying to me....I threw the Jacuzzi out and replaced it with the "Exo-Terra water dish" and I have not had the "Algae" issue since....I think it had a lot to do with the material the Jacuzzi was made out of......just wanted to share

http://www.petmountain.com/show_product ... erm=500168

:D
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

suebee

Post by suebee » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm

i heard that someone else boiled them to clean them and they melted! I decided to go with the zoomed large bowls. I like them. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752586
they were 19.99 each but so far i really like them, they hold 1 quart of water each and my biggest crab can go all the way under water.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Hmmm, the Exo-Terra XL is 3 inches deep which is a nice depth... but it's HUGE! Even in a 55g it would take up a ton of floor space to have a couple of those :? The large is 2.25 inches... Both the Groovy jacuzzi and the Zoomed bowls are 2" deep according to the specs.

Well, I already have a matching food dish from Exo-Terra... decisions, decisions! I was lamenting my DIY bowls again today as I stood there over the sink scrubbing and scrubbing them :roll:

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:57 pm

when you fill the ones i have to the top its more like 2.5 inches. I will measure the water for sure and let you know. Not pool swim-able but deep enough for my biggest guys to get in and put their head under and most of their shell. I actually find that now i have a bit smaller pools more crabs seem to hang out in them. My little guys can go all the way under but usually only do it by accidental slipping. Lots of the little guys like to dig under them too..lol.

Rosepetalbed

Post by Rosepetalbed » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:22 pm

I have the large size of the Exo-Terra...and its not to big for me, I also have a 75 gallon....I do have a 55 too and I know they don't have the floor space the 75 has!!! I can fit all three dishes on one end of the tank....so if you have limited space go with the one that will fit better...especially if they are similar in size :D

Luckily you don't need the crabs seal of approval....they could care less!!

:hlol:
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 pm

Im disappointed, i measured my zoomed large bowls today full and though I was sure they were deeper they are only 1.5 inches deep. 40.00 worth of big bowls and thats it. My biggest crab can use them but now im back on a search for different natural looking deep bowls that do not take up a bunch of ground room for my 40 breeder. aka my 49.09 gal tank..lol..