Eco Earth V's Sand

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Rosepetalbed

Eco Earth V's Sand

Post by Rosepetalbed » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:51 am

I have ALWAYS used play sand for my tat but I know alot of people do Half EE/Half Sand....So I was wondering what peoples thoughts were about EE....Humidity? Bug Issues? Pro's? Con's? I am due for a deep clean and would like to know if I should change what I have always done or Keep things the same! :D
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 am

The use seems to run the gambit, from Sand to Pure Coir. Which is best? Hard to say - there has been no real comparison aside from how people feel about how their personal animals do with whatever they have chosen. Human nature being what it is, people tend to re-enforce their own choices, so it can be hard to tell from the info you might see scattered about. Bob at ELHC has maintained some animals for decades and swears by a 5:1 mix of Sand:Coir. It seems logical since these animals often come from sandy areas where a small to moderate amount of organic material is incorporated in the sand. I have also read references where species like brevimanus are often found in piles of rotting coconut debris, thought they may be there for the food not the substrate.

I would consider the 5:1, only because it has been used successfully for long term management by one source I consider very trustworthy. But that is me. If that doesn't keep things humid enough, add more coir, if it is too humid for your area, cut it back, though I doubt you would need do do that if everything else is optimized.

Keith

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:32 am

My next deep clean I am moving to the 5 to 1.....I use half and half now. After visiting the HCP I believe the 5 to 1 is the way to go. Good luck and I will be watching this post!

Topic author
Rosepetalbed

Post by Rosepetalbed » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:34 am

I think I am out of the loop :? What exactly is the 5 to 1? I need GPS to get me out of rotaries :hlol:
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

Kathy Freer

Post by Kathy Freer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I am using the 5/1 playsand and coconut fibre, my only problem is I can't tell which is the poop and which is coco fibre to clean the tank.Does anyone have a solution for this one?

Kathy Freer

Post by Kathy Freer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I am using the 5/1 playsand and coconut fibre, my only problem is I can't tell which is the poop and which is coco fibre to clean the tank.Does anyone have a solution for this one?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:43 pm

All you can do is scrap the top layer off on a regular basis. It's why I went from EE/sand to straight sand this last deep clean!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:10 pm

The 5 to 1 I am talking about is 5 parts white sand (quickrete brand) and 1 part EE. Mix together with crushed oyster shell. I am moving to this next deep clean and maybe new tank??? I have half of my guys molting so when they come up I need to be ready to start the process.

SebbyCrab

Post by SebbyCrab » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:56 pm

My crabs, and bugs [roly poly or sow bugs] seem to really like the 5:1 mix. Humidity is optimal pretty much constantly, does drop a bit when I have the top off to fix something though.
PP's, E's, Straws, Violas

aquav

Post by aquav » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:32 pm

How do you guys keep the humidity up with the 5:1 mix?

cass2399

Post by cass2399 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:19 pm

I am waiting for some of mine to come up but I want to switch to a 5:1 mix. I have a 55g. Roughly how much of each will I need? I know It depends on how deep I need it but can anyone give me a general idea? Thanks

curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 pm

oo, i had 55g set up with 50/50 sand and coco mix, for 8" deep, I used two 50lb bag of sand with half of giant t-rex coco brick. but i went overboard.. i think 8" is a bit much!
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 pm

I also use the 5 parts sand to one part Coco fiber. Ive been asked to make a remark in this thread, please forgive my laziness her is a copy and past from another thread i posted this info in:
to be basic, sand is what is in the natural environment. Coco fiber is great at biodegrading and would be perfect to start a mulch pile. The biodegrading is good to help get rid of waist and food bits. The coco fiber also holds moisture. I had problems in the past with coco fiber biodegrading my molting crabs. Ive talked to Tammy and Kirk from the hermit crab patch
http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/default.asp
as well as Bob and Lori from ELHC http://www.exoticlandhermitcrabs.com/Default.asp
They both have studies of many mixes of substrate and feel that the 5 part sand to one part coconut fiber is safest.
Coco nut fiber can have sharp pieces or get stuck in a crabs shell, (they do tend to get substrate in the shell while molting) This will lead the crab to the salt water dish to try to get it out of the body. It can give a little splinter that can be the death of the crab.
Also crabs secret a liquid that they put on the feet to push sand, this liquid helps stick the sand in place to make proper tunnels, the coconut fiber tends to dry with the liquid on it and doesnt hold as well.
I also do not suggest a pit of EE. Crabs will like it due to the biodegrading and giving off heat. Warm moist places is where a crab wants to be. They do not have the option of this much EE (coco fiber) in the wild.
Again this is my opinion after talking with professional crab keepers that have been doing research for many years.
Personally I chose to go with the trial, error, and research of those who have been doing this for much longer then I have.
After talking to them , to me it just makes sense.

I also wanted to add that when i asked about arrogate sand I was told that is is actually to fine of a grain and can inter fear with the modified gills of the crab. So even though it comes in pretty white or black, I would forgo the pretty sand for safer more beach like sand.

Thanks, Suebee
Last edited by suebee on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Also, the humidity should stay pretty steady with a 5/1 mix. I have just sand and a moss pit and my humidity has been perfect for weeks now with no work. Anything that holds moisture and releases it over time (EE), coupled with a mostly sealed tank to hold the moisture in, will keep the humidity steady.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 pm

I agree EE helps with the moisture as well as the extra moisture. To much will however break down and can go bad in the bottom of a tank causing a nasty smell and rotting.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey