my crabitat build photo journal!!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:38 am

aquav wrote:Wow, I can't even tell you how excited I am for you! This is absolutely fantastic, I can't wait to see more pics!

thank you!!! remember we talked about the misting system?? I hope this works out.. otherwise, id have to turn to using a humidifier. if ventilation fan is too much I might have to supplement the humidity using that.. so we will see. Misting nozzles will be installed this weekend!
tlivs wrote:are the things that look like terra cotta pots not going to be hideys?or are they there temporarily just for structure or something? :?:
ooo
:hlol: :hlol: :hlol: those are small pots where my ferns and other plants will be placed in- I got two large caves on the right hand side for them so that's where they will be lol. so all those little pot looking pieces are going to be plants~
Last edited by curious_kitty on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:29 am

ok, quick photos I took this morning :) Most of the cocofibre paste has dried up and feels pretty hard/plastic-like. I am very very happy. The color of it also darkened. I put up few bromilad up*( those are miniature Neo. broms, and I ordered few of larger ones as well) using a bamboo skewers. too small I can't even see!

[/img]
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Just wow! It's looking spectacular already! Thank you for the pictures!!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:40 pm

wodesorel wrote:Just wow! It's looking spectacular already! Thank you for the pictures!!
'r welcome~! my body is really soar from this weekend though...ugh *taking more tylenol*

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Beautiful. I really needa job so I can do something like this!
Two things.....

1. Will you be able to see the tank from that window? That will be so cool! Natural mmonlight and everything! Some say that crabs can breed if they receive moon light, so eho knows what happens!
2. Rollie Pollies! They'll help the cleaning process big time! Really though, get some, they eat mold and such
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:16 pm

curious_kitty wrote: ooo
:hlol: :hlol: :hlol: those are small pots where my ferns and other plants will be placed in- I got two large caves on the right hand side for them so that's where they will be lol. so all those little pot looking pieces are going to be plants~
oooooohohhhhhhh ok!
i was thinking those were all going to be hideys i was like good luck ever seeing your crabs! hahaha

i am so excited for you!
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Dog Lips wrote:Beautiful. I really needa job so I can do something like this!
Two things.....

1. Will you be able to see the tank from that window? That will be so cool! Natural mmonlight and everything! Some say that crabs can breed if they receive moon light, so eho knows what happens!
2. Rollie Pollies! They'll help the cleaning process big time! Really though, get some, they eat mold and such
lol I am afraid we probably cannot see hermies from that small window- we are on top floor.. but i am sure hermies will definately be able to see the moon~so that's good, right?
oooo i thought about rollie pollies1 I should look into placing them into the tank. I wonder if they will be ablto live in salty substrate?

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:29 pm

ok, so i jst finished doing some 'carving' ledges so it looks less bubbly from spray foams. I also made a cover for the fan using cocobark(with lots of holes drilled in), and put it in. carving was very difficult, and I had to use a really sharp exacto knife(about 3' long) and cut my hands three times :( ouch

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 pm

curious_kitty wrote: lol I am afraid we probably cannot see hermies from that small window- we are on top floor.. but i am sure hermies will definately be able to see the moon~so that's good, right?
oooo i thought about rollie pollies1 I should look into placing them into the tank. I wonder if they will be ablto live in salty substrate?
Rollie Pollies are crustaceans, so yeah they can. Just make the pools/dishes impossible for them to get into.

And yep, them seeing the moon is great. I'm sure it helps them feel more at home.
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

littleraindrop87

Post by littleraindrop87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 pm

i have not been here for awhile and when i saw this i was like WOAH!!!! *pats* u're doing a great job especially in such a short amt of time! :) and when i saw your fan. I LOVEEE the cover.. i've been wanting to put a tiny fan in my tank for ventilation (only a 30 gal) but i never knew how to prevent the crabs from getting sliced off by the blades. so your cover is a fantastic idea!! :)
Rugs: Ribbs, Raiko, Racer, Ramica,
Indos: Rum, Reizin, Reffalump
Violas: Ritsuke, Risako, Rekka
Straws: Rumbo, Rhivas, Rice, BFG

Call me Fallow

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:03 am

littleraindrop87 wrote:i have not been here for awhile and when i saw this i was like WOAH!!!! *pats* u're doing a great job especially in such a short amt of time! :) and when i saw your fan. I LOVEEE the cover.. i've been wanting to put a tiny fan in my tank for ventilation (only a 30 gal) but i never knew how to prevent the crabs from getting sliced off by the blades. so your cover is a fantastic idea!! :)
OOoooo Fallow~ i was wondering where you went off to!! lol
I got new branches in today, I will try to take few pictures for you tomorrow! LOL see? while you were gone for little bit, I went BOOBOOo(my husband calls it) and made a MESS out of my dining room, and now the whole place is a bomb site bc i've been doing this project, and nothing else...! I gotta really do some serious cleaning-up this weekend....

littleraindrop87

Post by littleraindrop87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:13 am

i know! i should come here more often :P my tank is getting trashed by my crabs everyday and since its only a 30 gal and i dont see an upgrade for years, i'm running out of ideas for the tank :S

so i thought i'll take a look here again :) and i'm glad i checked it out or i'd have missed your tank!! :P
Rugs: Ribbs, Raiko, Racer, Ramica,
Indos: Rum, Reizin, Reffalump
Violas: Ritsuke, Risako, Rekka
Straws: Rumbo, Rhivas, Rice, BFG

Call me Fallow

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

OK,, my branches arrived yesterday, and I took pictures of them this morning. I think I will put pieces of smaller branches onto a larger piece to make a tree!

I ordered three more gallons of TiteBondIII jugs, and should be here by end of this weekend.. I am guessing I won't be able to update my crabitat progress till sunday, but of course, I will try to hurry it up !!

*update* my cocofibre paste mix(with TiteBondII glue) has dried really really nicely! I must say, it dried ROCK hard, I had hard time trying to scrape off any pieces, but I coulnd't! I've placed a heater infront of the tat, so it can facilitate drying time. I will work on ledges(the mushroom looking shelves on my tat) and my tree over the weekend :)

framptonbmx

Post by framptonbmx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:50 pm

This is an insane project. I cannot wait to see more progress. I am so amazed by the work and care you are putting into this tank. Most Impressive.
Crabbing since 2004,

7 PP's: Rufus, Cornelius, Belle & Sebastian, Socrates Johnson, Bob Genghis Khan, & Bill S. Preston Esquire
4 E's: Snoop Crabby Crab II, Eazy-E II, Ghost Face Killah, & Nicodemus
4 Violas: Musashi Miyamoto, Makoto Nagano, Akira, & Shredder

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Nice tat!
What lights are you using on that tank?
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson