Blackish Red joints

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
hermitcrabs604

Blackish Red joints

Post by hermitcrabs604 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Okay, over the last 2 weeks or so my pp named Raspberry, molted and he seemed to have been doing just fine. I checked on him a couple days after he molted under this big hut that he was molting underneath and I found him fine but instead he has had a much darker color than when he was molting. His color was pale when he molted and now it is normal but he resembles the color of my other crab named Bluberry. I can't tell who is who but one of them (which I think is Raspberry) has blackish red around his joints. It scares me because they almost look bloody. Yesterday i held him in my hand and he was doing just fine and he is active and likes to eat day and night. He especially loves barbecue Pringles. Anyway when you touch his legs they seem to be a little weak and the tips of his legs are very sharp. I'm going to try to post pictures of him to tell whats wrong.
Hermitcrabs604
5 PP's and 2 E's and RIP to my first crabbies.
Also 3 Cockatiels: Tweety, Sweety, and Skye
2 Finches: Pollo, and Geek
2 Yorkies: Angel, and Teddy
1 Britney Spaniel: Sam
And 13 Kois, 1 gigantic Pacu, and 2 Parrotfish

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:19 pm

I don't know what could be causing the colouration on his joints, but I just wanted to let you know that it isn't a good idea to feed them processed food such as Pringles. Preservatives and artificial ingredients can make them sick or even kill them. There are many fresh fruits, veges, meats and other items that you can feed them which are affordable, nutritious and very yummy to hermit crabs.

There is a full list of safe foods here:http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=64004

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:59 pm

It may just be a color-change from the molt. The first time Hannibal molted he came up with brilliant yellow joints, and over the course a few months they faded to match the rest of his body.

Photos will definitely help in figuring out if it's unusual, but it doesn't sound that odd. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram