White Rice

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
corvas

White Rice

Post by corvas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 am

My hermies love white rice. I have had dug in crabs come up when I put a small dish of rice in the tank. They all circle the dish and pack it away! I have never seen hermies eat so much the first time I gave them rice.

Aetyrno

Post by Aetyrno » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Cooked or dry?

Topic author
corvas

Post by corvas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50 am

Aetyrno wrote:Cooked or dry?

Cooked plain white rice.

Aetyrno

Post by Aetyrno » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:59 am

I'll have to try that :D I've tried dry but they just ignored it.

SebbyCrab

Post by SebbyCrab » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 pm

You should try brown rice instead of white. I think the nutrition content in white rice might be inadequate for the crabs to really survive off of it.

ETA: White rice is not on the safe food list, which is not only a list of hermit safe foods, but a list of foods that offers feeding benefits.
PP's, E's, Straws, Violas

Freedomwolf

Post by Freedomwolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:17 pm

does white rice kill?

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 pm

white rice wont kill the crabs but candy wont kill them either..it just doesnt have anything to offer the crabs healthy wise. If the crabs fill up on things that dont have anything to offer them health wise then we end up with not so healthy crabs, and then not so healthy molts, and maybe then not so many molts or not so many crabs..
I agree if you want to offer rice or noodles offer some brown or wild rice and now they have whole grain noodles or veggie noodles. Again a good variety in foods is best mix it up.. its not good to offer the same food over and over.. they dont eat much so they need a good variety to get all they need in nutrition.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Freedomwolf

Post by Freedomwolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 pm

ty so much suebee!!! I was worried there. I just gave it to them with sesame seeds and almonds with a carnation petal today, and an egg yolk (cooked, and given yesterday). I hope that is not to bad of a meal.

Aetyrno

Post by Aetyrno » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:37 pm

I use brown basmati myself, I've always preferred the flavor over plain white rice =)

I'll give the crabs some tonight, and post back how it goes over!

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 pm

adding things that are good for them to the rice is a great way to make the rice better! Good job..
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Mike120

Post by Mike120 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:57 pm

My mom used to mix raisins with her rice. Maybe you could try that?

Aetyrno

Post by Aetyrno » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:38 am

One of them has been back and forth between the food bowls for an hour... he can't seem to decide whether to go for the oak leaves or the brown basmati rice :D

Aetyrno

Post by Aetyrno » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 pm

I gave them the rice, oak leaves, cuttlebone, and a date

The date was nibbled, cuttlebone wasn't touched, one of the oak leaves is at the complete opposite side of the tank, another oak leaf is completely missing, and there is rice EVERYWHERE

Topic author
corvas

Post by corvas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:17 pm

I do switch out the food daily. Rice is one of those occasional things I give them.