Is my crab a hyper active molter

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
hexhero

Is my crab a hyper active molter

Post by hexhero » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

My crab spidy went into molt last thanks giving just before the big sow storm hit eastern Washington and came out mid January and he is starting to dig in his sand again and has become very active starting Sunday. My mom thinks he can detect hyperbolic presser in his shell and will dig when he senses a storm coming. But he seems to molt 2-3 times a year and i have had him since he was a small 5-6 year ago, now he is a med-large crab. I do not begrudge him molting so often but he usually is molting during the holidays when i want to show him visiting family. what do you think causes him to molt so fast.
Two small PP

Unknown10101

Post by Unknown10101 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 pm

There are rumors about hyperbolic pressure, and that could be it. WAit and see if a big storm comes up. If so, it might be part of the reason. Also, if he molts 2-3 times a year, he's not that far off the schedule. Only by a month or so. Also, what kind of crab is he? Is he a species that naturally likes to dig, or does he normally stay above subsrate?
5 PPs

Topic author
hexhero

Post by hexhero » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 am

He is purple pincher who is about the size of golf ball including his shell and he usually stays above the sand.
Two small PP

Topic author
hexhero

Post by hexhero » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:39 am

Last night large front came in from the west at 6 or 7 pm (lots of rain maybe a little thunder). when i woke up this morning my crab was up and walking around but he had moved his coconut bowl dug a hole nearly down to the bottom of the tank.
Two small PP

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Two to three molts per year sounds pretty normal for a crab that size.