Review of Zoo Med Hygrotherm

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
EnginerdLisa

Post by EnginerdLisa » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 am

I'm thinking about getting one of these. Since I am at work at least 8 hrs a day, it would give me a little peace of mind to know that things could adjust if needed. Here is my question. I assume there is some kind of electronic sensor that goes in the tank to read the temp and humidity, and to get as accurate readings as possible you would want it near the substrate. Is there any concern that this could be dangerous if the crabs try to climb on it or if they try to eat it?

powerlift

Post by powerlift » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 pm

I just ordered the Hygrotherm from PETCO.com last night! $67.99 with free shipping.

I use the Repti Fogger already, and it is great along with a timer but the humidity ranges are way too wide with this method.

Last weekend, I bought a cigar humidifier that could sense when it needed to add more water to the tank but unfortunately, it was LOUD and vibrated the glass. Other than that, it worked. It annoyed me and could only imagine how the crabs felt about the noise. The cigar shop gave a full refund on it. Their hygrometers are great, though, and the one I use comes from this place.

So, I'll be back to report how mine works once it arrives! Thanks for starting this thread. Great timing for me.

Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:21 pm

I use the hygrotherm (in concert with the reptifogger) and I've really liked it. I decided to hang the sensor in the exact middle of the tank, floating above the substrate and where no crabs can really get to it. I don't think the crabs would eat it but the little slits in the sensor are big enough that I could see a small crab's leg slipping in there and was worried about them getting their leg stuck or damaging the sensor.
Current critters: Cat, Corn Snake, Plated Lizard, two Bettas, 12 PPs, 10 Es, 6 Ruggies, 2 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 foster guinea pigs

powerlift

Post by powerlift » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm

The Hygrotherm just arrived - woo! I will have to wait until after work and after my daughter's school fundraiser. What a way to go into the weekend :toothy7:

powerlift

Post by powerlift » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 am

I have been running it since last night, and there is a 10 percent difference in what my calibrated hygrometer reads and what my hygrotherm reads.

They are close by one another, and because the wall hygrometer is calibrated, I tend to think that it is the accurate reading. The temperatures match.

The problem is that the Reptifogger kicks on as soon as it gets below 78, as this is what I have set the humidity to. Meanwhile the wall hygrometer is already reading at high 80's and that only elevates it further.

Should I set the hygrotherm a whole 10 degrees lower to trick it, thus setting it at 70 percent RH?

Mama Crabs

Post by Mama Crabs » Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Anyone have problems with the hygrotherm? I've had mine a year and just discovered that the humidity is off by almost 20 degrees too high! It must have gotten off over the year since it was fine when I bought it and tested it. So should I just set my hygrotherm humidity to 100, knowing that the actual is at 80?

Also, I have my water dishes with bubblers on one side of the tank, should I set my humidifier on the opposite side of the tank, with the hygrotherm in the center?

powerlift

Post by powerlift » Wed May 11, 2011 1:19 am

That's pretty much what I have to do. I did the salt test on it and will do it regularly for both the hygrotherm and my hygrometer so I'll understand how to adjust the setting.