C R E E P Y....sounds from the tank!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
bikepartjewelry

C R E E P Y....sounds from the tank!

Post by bikepartjewelry » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 am

In my large tank, I have 4 PPs down...I'm assuming they are molting as they've all been down for a couple weeks.

Last night I heard this weird scraping noise coming from somewhere...and I finally figured out it was coming from the large tank. Mega-Claw had come up yesterday for a few minutes, got food and water, then dug back down, so I thought maybe I was hearing him. NOPE. I walked around to the other side of the tank and saw a "window" in the sand right against the glass and Lemon was in there!

I'm hearing the scraping sound again now. What in the world is going on in there? Party under the sand?
Jodey
12 PPs: Mega-Claw, Claw, Orzo, Lemon, Eugene, Speedy, Mo-Mo, Titan, Bob-Blueberry, Kirby, Meta-Knight...and one unnamed
3 E's: not yet named
my website: http://www.bikepartjewelry.com

haley.jean

Re: C R E E P Y....sounds from the tank!

Post by haley.jean » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:22 am

Whenever Vincent goes down he does the exact same thing. :roll: Makes a window and crawls right to the very bottom of the tank for optimum noise-making.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Topic author
bikepartjewelry

Post by bikepartjewelry » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:00 pm

This is getting crazy! I sooo want to know what they are doing down there. Are these normal molting sounds?
Jodey
12 PPs: Mega-Claw, Claw, Orzo, Lemon, Eugene, Speedy, Mo-Mo, Titan, Bob-Blueberry, Kirby, Meta-Knight...and one unnamed
3 E's: not yet named
my website: http://www.bikepartjewelry.com

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:07 pm

my crabs do that to, and especially new crabs. its their claws and feet as they try to dig even further into the glass.. but they cant really so theyre claws just sorta scrape against it, what i do is put a (no longer used by humans) towel at the very bottom under all the substrate, it seems to work but it gets pretty mangled
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:08 pm

OR if theyre molting then theyre moving around to push off their skin..
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Krabby.Lily

Post by Krabby.Lily » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:45 pm

My crabs always climb against the side and bump their shells against it! Always confuses me in the middle of the night!

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:11 pm

The last time one of them did that, I was sleeping about 9ft from the tank and Termite was underground wrestling with a rock, doing his best to evict it through the glass. He was at it for *hours*. Did not get a lot of sleep lol. Noisy little things.

Krabby.Lily

Post by Krabby.Lily » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:38 am

My two new guys are in my smaller iso tank right now, in the iso tank I have sand, and the noise that the sand makes when the crabs move is something I'm still not used to; these to are crazy hyper crabs!

Pepe4Life

Post by Pepe4Life » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 am

My small PP used to do the same thing as well. Ha, he would make a window and literally stare at me...

It was strange...
I've got crabs...
3 E's