Leg didn't regrow?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Leg didn't regrow?

Post by Zoeythelost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Bug is up!!! My successful ruggie molt. But he is still missing the leg he was missing when he went down. He definitely molted. Sharp claws and his shield leg is entirely gray now.
Is it common for a missing leg to not regrow? He even had a gel limb going down.
4 PPs: Hermie, Struder 2 Es: Ebert, E-wee, Edee, Ego
3 Violas: Monster, Charcoal, Devil. 2 Blueberries: Purples, Blues
5 Ruggies: Bug, Tug, Lug, Mud, Kirby. 1 Indo: Solo
4 Fish, 2 dogs, Woodlice, and 1 human child.

CrabAddict99

Re: Leg didn't regrow?

Post by CrabAddict99 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:56 pm

One reason I don't currently own ruggies is they molt funny for me. I declined when lhc asked to replace my blues with them. Losing legs during a molt was one thing I remember clearly when I owned them. Not all my druggies had bad milts but a good majority did.

This is an old pic of Mr. Freeze after a bad molt:
'Hermit crabs are like potato chips, you can't have just one'
brevimanus•clypeatus•compressus•perlatus•purpureus•violascens
microfauna (Porcellio scaber,Oniscus asellus, Porcellio "dalmatians")
~ crabby since October 1999
I <3 my @:<

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Congrats on Bugs molt! Sorry I forgot to add this to the above post.

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks, all other legs are accounted for so no huge deal. Other than the climbing issues sigh. Just found it a little weird it did not regrow. and the likelihood is my other ruggie will also being coming up without that leg, due to the current one is broken. my poor little legless ruggies. I put out a huge selection of food for him tonight and put some new shells in the middle of the tank in hopes he will change. Too many green turbo wearing crabs in that tank!

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Zoeythelost wrote:Thanks, all other legs are accounted for so no huge deal.
Mr. Freeze was my worst bad molt case since he lost a bp too. My point was, for me atleast, rugs have lost a leg or multiple legs during a molt. I hope your other rug molts well for you.

fate4003

Re: Re: Leg didn't regrow?

Post by fate4003 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Zoeythelost wrote:Bug is up!!! My successful ruggie molt. But he is still missing the leg he was missing when he went down. He definitely molted. Sharp claws and his shield leg is entirely gray now.
Is it common for a missing leg to not regrow? He even had a gel limb going down.
Awwwww. I'm super excited for you!
It also gives me hope for meep.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
18 crabs! PP'S (sammy, ignats, puffeley, doofenshmirtz, phineas, ferb, perry and squirmy) E'S (herman, lady bug, zo) RUGGIES (meep, major monogram and carl) BLUES (beauford and baljeet) INDOS (candace and isabella)
5 fish, 3 cats and a human kid.

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm

CrabAddict99 wrote: Mr. Freeze was my worst bad molt case since he lost a bp too. My point was, for me atleast, rugs have lost a leg or multiple legs during a molt. I hope your other rug molts well for you.
That's horrible. Poor crabbie. I didn't know ruggies had trouble molting. Do you think its comprable to the trouble e's have?

My surviving ruggie from LHC was so sick! I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make his first molt.

18 crabs! PP'S (sammy, ignats, puffeley, doofenshmirtz, phineas, ferb, perry and squirmy) E'S (herman, lady bug, zo) RUGGIES (meep, major monogram and carl) BLUES (beauford and baljeet) INDOS (candace and isabella)

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:31 pm

fate4003, I'd say about 65% of the ruggies I ever owned had molt issues. Some died from pps, while others lived with me for a few years.
I have heard others having trouble with e molts. I guess it's comparable but I don't find e's difficult molters.

I really hope your ruggie makes it through his molt with you.

NeviNuNu

Post by NeviNuNu » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Congrats on the ruggie molt sorry to hear about his leg maybe during the next couple molts he will get it right!!! :::fingers crossed:::
Proud Mama to: 1 Human Son- Nevan
Furkids: 2 dogs- Arden, & Ella
Shell babies: 16 PPs, 5 Es, 2 Violas, 2 Indos, 3 Straws & 2 Blues

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 pm

CrabAddict99 wrote:fate4003, I'd say about 65% of the ruggies I ever owned had molt issues. Some died from pps, while others lived with me for a few years.
I have heard others having trouble with e molts. I guess it's comparable but I don't find e's difficult molters.

I really hope your ruggie makes it through his molt with you.
Very interesting. I haven't had trouble with 6 e motls to far. *knock on wood* Thanks! I really hope he makes it too.

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Crabaddict99...do you find an easier time with your straws molting? Also, what about indos. Sorry for all the questions. I'm picking your molt brain.

I'm gonna try giving my meep more calcium. Maybe treat him like an e. Maybe that will help you too zoey?

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm

haven't had trouble with E molts. *knock on wood* I wouldn't call his molt a bad molt. He went down missing a leg and broke leg tips. He came up healthy and in better shape than when he went down. I just say it was not as successful as it could have been. He did molt in a bad spot in the tank. Coldest part of the tank, constant digging right by him, plus i bothered him quite a bit. As long as he's healthy and can function normally that's all that is important. but it would be nice for him to have all of his legs

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Zoeythelost wrote:haven't had trouble with E molts. *knock on wood* I wouldn't call his molt a bad molt. He went down missing a leg and broke leg tips. He came up healthy and in better shape than when he went down. I just say it was not as successful as it could have been. He did molt in a bad spot in the tank. Coldest part of the tank, constant digging right by him, plus i bothered him quite a bit. As long as he's healthy and can function normally that's all that is important. but it would be nice for him to have all of his legs
Any sign of a gel limb?

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 pm

fate4003 wrote:I'm gonna try giving my meep more calcium. Maybe treat him like an e. Maybe that will help you too zoey?
I treat all my crabs the same. since they all live together. Always calcium available in some form. trying to remember when he went down. i think he had a few weeks prior to bulk up but maybe he was still recovering some from shipping when he went down. I know he destroyed the food bowl. Can always tell when a molter comes up by looking at the food bowl.

And yes he had a leg limb back when I first got him. I noticed it when I was checking him for mites. It was just the start of one.

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Zoeythelost wrote: I treat all my crabs the same. since they all live together. Always calcium available in some form. trying to remember when he went down. i think he had a few weeks prior to bulk up but maybe he was still recovering some from shipping when he went down. I know he destroyed the food bowl. Can always tell when a molter comes up by looking at the food bowl.

And yes he had a leg limb back when I first got him. I noticed it when I was checking him for mites. It was just the start of one.
But no gel limb now? Was it the same little leggie?