How to remove paint from a shell

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Rocky

How to remove paint from a shell

Post by Rocky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:27 am

Hey guys 8) I've noticed more people are showing more interest in reusing painted shells, I thought I'd give you a hand!
I highly recommend doing this to all of your painted shells, why throw out and waste a perfectly good shell if you can save it? :) It's really easy, and it's really exciting finding out what kind of shell is underneath!
You can even do this with shells that have a clear sealant on them. However, if a shell looks like the paint goes all the way into the spiral, unless you can pull it out in one piece, toss the shell. Sometimes there is paint pooled in the spiral, still wet, and a crab will get stuck in it! I lost Fred this way, and I don't want anyone to put painted shells into their tank only to later find out there was still some in there. And unless you break the shell, you can't remove paint that's deep in the spiral. And if there's a stain left over that you can't remove, also be cautious, since shells are porous and I'm unsure of whether or not the chemicals in paint leeching into the crabs shell water can be dangerous or not.

You can use salt or fresh water to boil with, and if you can stand it, a bit of vinegar. You'll also need a hand towl (preferrably an old one that you won't miss) some newspapers to keep the mess level down, and an exacto knife, or butter knife, or sometimes even your fingernails.
Place your newspapers on a table so you don't get the paint chips all over, and boil your shell for awhile (this softens and loosens the paint)
Take the shell out and hold it in your hand with the towel so you don't burn or stab yourself and make an 'entry hole' with your knife to start scraping outwards from the entry hole (don't worry about damaging the shell. If it cracks as soon as you apply pressure to it, you don't want your crabs to use it anyways) scrape slowly and try to peel the paint, this will usually take off large chunks of paint at once.
If you take a break, or go to bed without finishing, just drop your shell into a cup of water to soak while you're away, this will keep the paint looser off the shell. You dont have to re boil it every time you start scraping, but it sure helps! yYou should push the shell against the table (or any hard surface) while you scrape to stabilize your hand. And always move the knife away from your hands as you scrape, never towards them.
:compress: Do NOT soak your shell in nail polish remover, paint thinner, etc. Shells are porous like our skin and absorb the chemicals. If you wish to soak your shell, soak it in water, dechlor or salt will both work. And don't soak it in just vinegar! Too much vinegar will dissolve the shell. Use vinegar sparingly, since the acidity can eat away at your shell :compress:
you never know what cool shell is underneath the paint! :luck::
Just a side note, this is if you already have shells with paint on them. I'm not encouraging buying crabs in painted shells or the shells themselves! It just feeds the trade, and the less we buy, the less they get :twisted: Plus painted shells are ridiculously more expensive than natural ones. And it's hard, if not impossible sometimes, to tell what kind of shell you're buying
Last edited by Rocky on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

eloise13

Re: How to de-paint a shell

Post by eloise13 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:39 am

I tried to sand a shell that had a clear sealant over them, but it just scratched the sealant, but didn't really work.

Another thing that might help is a hairdryer or heat gun. ( I think there are owns out there specially designed to remove paint)
I own 11 Aussies! my photography
Micro: Baby
Teenies: Friday, Jeffery, Molly, Nero, Louis
Smalls: Edward, Andromeda
Mediums: Beetle, Bug
Large: Big boy.

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:43 am

i dont know how to get clear sealant off of a natural shell :s how would a heat gun or hairdryer work? more ideas the better! i really want to encourage people to re use shells instead of just buying more
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.

eloise13

Post by eloise13 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 am

Paint loosens and peels when heat is applied. People use them to remove paint when renovating. You might want to wear heat proof gloves or just stick a hair dryer, because I'd assume the shell would get very hot.
I own 11 Aussies! my photography
Micro: Baby
Teenies: Friday, Jeffery, Molly, Nero, Louis
Smalls: Edward, Andromeda
Mediums: Beetle, Bug
Large: Big boy.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:25 am

Soaking in vinegar works as well, but you often have to leave it overnight. I've done this for a few shells. (And for all the brass outlet and light covers that previous owners had painted over!)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Invert Mom

Post by Invert Mom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Do you just soak in venegar and start scraping, or does the vinegar make it so you can just scrub the paint off? The stupid painted shell my big E came to me in was good because it is a lighter weight shell, but obviously I won't put it in because it's painted.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 pm

It'll soften it enough to make it loosen from the surface and peel off with a little bit of work, but it won't melt it off.

Invert Mom

Post by Invert Mom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Thank you. So would I still use the exacto on it then, after it started peeling, or would a rough brush or something work? I'm afraid of stabbing myself trying to peel the paint as I've never done something like this before.
"Mom" of 7 rescued Hermit Crabs, 5 PP's, 2 E's

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:30 pm

I used a butter knife to get the paint started and it mainly came off in a big smelly chunk, and a yarn needle (blunt tip) to get into the harder spots on the spiral.

Invert Mom

Post by Invert Mom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Thank you, that's good to know. I think I'll try to de-paint my first Ecuadorian's shell, since it is nice and light and good sized. I almost wonder if it is a rice snail shell; it kind of looks like a turbo, but it seems lighter than all of the other turbo shells I've put in tanks.
"Mom" of 7 rescued Hermit Crabs, 5 PP's, 2 E's

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:28 am

It probably is. The painted ones tend to be landsnails (rice snail or possibly bridgesi apple snails), moon shells (shark and whale), and babylonia.

Hermit-Crab-Cottage

Post by Hermit-Crab-Cottage » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Thank you SO much for posting this! I have been in dier need of a how-to de-paint shells. Can't wait to see what's undernieth. It's like a surprise gift for me and my crabs!
Mommy of:
4 Purple Pinchers (Ocean, Hawaii, Lei, Aloe) 2 Equadorians (Maui, Kona) 2 Ruggies (Kapialoni, Aloha) 2 Indos (Oahu, Honolulu) 1 Viola (One)
http://hermitcrabcottage.blogspot.com

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:05 pm

I know, right? :D Let us know what goodies you find under there! Your welcome :) (although I'm sure others have done it.. mines just more recent)
Oooh, I don't know if it says it on there, but don't soak it in vinegar! It will dissolve the shell! I gotta add that in..

Anorable

Post by Anorable » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:26 pm

this is perfect! i've got a painted shell that one of my crabs was wearing for a bit (he switched from his natural shell and the painted was an emergency buy) but he switched out again. i always felt iffy about leaving it in there but at the same time i didn't have many shells.

sontron

Post by sontron » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Thank yuo soooo much for posting this :hail:
I got two new Es, both in matching painted shells. The larger ones shell is a good size for the other, but I wouldnt want to leave it in because of the paint. Now, I can reuse them!
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus