Do your crabs watch crabs in other tanks?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
CrabbyMom33

Do your crabs watch crabs in other tanks?

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:43 pm

For those of you with multiple tanks in the same room, do you find your crabs watching the crabs in the other tanks? I had the end insulation flipped up on my 90 gallon today to give them some extra daylight. It was still up tonight when I found Larry, one of my large Es, sitting on the top of the cholla and she (yes, Larry is a girl) sure looked like she was watching the straws in their tank.

Owner of 4 PPs

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Do your crabs watch crabs in other tanks?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 pm

I swear that my Es sit and watch the hissing roaches in the next tank over. It's a little unsettling at times....
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

annopia

Post by annopia » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:13 pm

how cute! i've never really seen them show any interest in looking at other tanks (and several of the tanks are pretty close), but i once had my two biggest tanks connected via an external tunnel, and they would go back and forth. but now that its not there, i'm pretty sure they've forgotten the other tank exists :? .

but....they do watch me...just park at the front of the glass and stare out in my direction. i guess i'm there for their entertainment :D .

annopia
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

my second E was doing this, looking into and empty tank. Probably thinking, "how the heck do I climb over there for fun".

MommaChristina

Post by MommaChristina » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 pm

my smallest PP will come out of the hut when I pull up the curtain to watch the snow falling(if its snowing). And the other night I got up(yes to check on the crabs) And one of my kittens was laying on top of the glass top sleeping(which they are NOT allowed to do!), well I heard a clinking noise, freaked me out a bit(thinking the top was starting to crack from the weight of Jax the kitten, so I looked in and right where the his tail was resting there was Rac trying to get it on top of the cholla wood thru the glass, when I moved Jax, Rac seemed very upset with me getting down and going striaght into the cave in the middle whereas he usually stays on the cholla all night even if I go in the tank to do cleanup or whatnot. So I think Jax has been visitin alot more than I thought and Rac was just trying to be friendly :)
Full time Wife & Momma of 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 4 hermit crabs

ceo1282

Post by ceo1282 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:31 am

I don't have my tanks that close yet, 1 is upstairs & the other downstairs. I have noticed how they will observe each others behavior within the tank...like watch & learn! I just got 4 e's (couldn't be more excited :clap:) & i've been watching then since, especially when compare to pp's, they're SO active! While watching them i've noticed they often sit back & seemingly stare at one another, watch the behavior of the others, learn from one another, & then quite often, try to emulate their behavior. I don't notice it as much w/my pp's as they are very nocturnal. The e's, on the other hand, are much more active during the day, making observing them a whole lot easier.
Yes, I own hermit crabs. Am I crazy? Yes, but not because I own hermit crabs :p
PP's:*Midge*Monkey*Jewel*Peanut*Shellie
*Kirby&*Mumble

E's:*Spot*Valory &*Squiggles
Ruggies:*Luna,*Scarlet, &*Mack

AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:37 pm

MommaChristina wrote:my smallest PP will come out of the hut when I pull up the curtain to watch the snow falling(if its snowing). And the other night I got up(yes to check on the crabs) And one of my kittens was laying on top of the glass top sleeping(which they are NOT allowed to do!), well I heard a clinking noise, freaked me out a bit(thinking the top was starting to crack from the weight of Jax the kitten, so I looked in and right where the his tail was resting there was Rac trying to get it on top of the cholla wood thru the glass, when I moved Jax, Rac seemed very upset with me getting down and going striaght into the cave in the middle whereas he usually stays on the cholla all night even if I go in the tank to do cleanup or whatnot. So I think Jax has been visitin alot more than I thought and Rac was just trying to be friendly :)
My cat sleeps on top of the tank too the brat! And she and one of my crabs had a stare off once... until Russle the crab fell over.