ummmm.....my crab tried to eat me?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Skymall007

Re: ummmm.....my crab tried to eat me?

Post by Skymall007 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:40 pm

ahahhaha they've got so much food, Friendlyfeat was just seeing what I taste like I think. (Pretty well assuming he kept eating). I only have brought home small ones. I learned what a real pinch feels like the hard way lolz
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

ceo1282

Post by ceo1282 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Skymall007 wrote:My hermit started to pick at the skin in my palm and then put it in its mouth lolz. It seems really gross, but it's so funny. It doesn't hurt or anything.
Shellie does the same thing to me! At first I thought she had become nasty after her 52 day long molt but as I looked closer she wasn't pinching me out of fear or w/her bp, she was just picking at me & bringing it up to her mouth! I was actually quite relieved it wasn't her just being nasty. It doesn't really hurt but it sure scared/surprised me the first time!
Yes, I own hermit crabs. Am I crazy? Yes, but not because I own hermit crabs :p
PP's:*Midge*Monkey*Jewel*Peanut*Shellie
*Kirby&*Mumble

E's:*Spot*Valory &*Squiggles
Ruggies:*Luna,*Scarlet, &*Mack

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:57 pm

That is so cute! I will miss my crabs when they molt, 52 days is so long!
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Skymall007 wrote:That is so cute! I will miss my crabs when they molt, 52 days is so long!
My straw went down on january 5 and came up about march 26 I believe, the big guys take a long time!
The upside to big guys: They will have longer periods between molts :D
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:35 pm

That makes sense =) I just can't imagine so long! I will miss them. Hopefully they won't all go at once. But I worry that since two of mine are such good friends, they will get upset when the other is molting.

ceo1282

Post by ceo1282 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Skymall007 wrote:That makes sense =) I just can't imagine so long! I will miss them. Hopefully they won't all go at once. But I worry that since two of mine are such good friends, they will get upset when the other is molting.
Not to burst your bubble, but I had a time when 1 had finally come up & in the subsequent month the other 5 went down :cry: Talk about bummed out :smt086 Luckily one of the 5 was only down 19 days. Not too bad :D
Yes, I own hermit crabs. Am I crazy? Yes, but not because I own hermit crabs :p
PP's:*Midge*Monkey*Jewel*Peanut*Shellie
*Kirby&*Mumble

E's:*Spot*Valory &*Squiggles
Ruggies:*Luna,*Scarlet, &*Mack

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Oh my! I suppose I must prepare! It's funny, I just got hermit crabs and now the thought of not seeing them for more than a few hours is awful. The hermits could care less about me lolz. I could go molt for years and they wouldn't care. But I love them anyway. =) Maybe someday they will love me too (with enough peanut butter).

whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 am

My tiniest one has been down for... I'd say it's going on a month now. :/ And he's so tiny. Hopefully he will come up soon. I've read stories of people's crabs buring and then dying of PPS and I'm terrified that'll happen to one of mine. >.>
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

Anorable

Post by Anorable » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:30 am

^ when it comes to smalls and teenies, the most molting stories i've heard are that they'll go down for a long time to molt possibly more than once ad come up very noticeably larger.

whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Oh really? :o That's cool. :D I sometimes get worried because he is the only one that has buried for more than a day so far. I feel like mine should be molting right about now. Bleh.
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Anorable wrote:^ when it comes to smalls and teenies, the most molting stories i've heard are that they'll go down for a long time to molt possibly more than once ad come up very noticeably larger.
I think they would have to be really really small and possibly injured to need a double molt, molting twice in a row would probably drain the crab of all it's energy, and they wouldn't do it unless they really needed to :?
They also destress for awhile :) Sometimes a long while. Then molt! Or not, they might destress, resurface, then disappear again to molt :P With hermies unfortunately, they won't hold up big signs telling us what they're doing. We just have to trust them :D
Don't worry, little guys are usually alot hardier then the big guys. And your other ones might just not need to molt yet :P Unless they need to, they won't, because of all the energy it takes out of them.
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 pm

RockyGurly wrote: I think they would have to be really really small and possibly injured to need a double molt, molting twice in a row would probably drain the crab of all it's energy, and they wouldn't do it unless they really needed to :?
It's more like micros and teenies spend nearly every moment molting so they can get larger as soon as possible. Their recharge time between molts is only a few days of food and water, and because they're small and vulnerable they will usually only come out in the dead of night. Trying to be awake to spot them in a window of a few hours for a few days once a month makes them so very mysterious. :lol: In the span of nearly two years I could count on one hand how many times I had spotted Firefly (my first teeny) out and moving around on his own!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

That makes sense :D thanks wode :)

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 pm

My smallest (who is missing a claw and is named Spatula) has been buried for a few days. I accidentally disturbed him but he's back down again. He didn't leave a trace! He is so mysterious.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:53 am

LOL crabs have a way of being mysterious, sometimes it is a good thing other times you just want to find out.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies