Dominant Crabbies

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Lasuna

Dominant Crabbies

Post by Lasuna » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

So, after observing my hermits for a while I've noticed that Horus seems to be the dominant one in my tank. Any time some of my hermits have a little fight he's the one who comes and settles it. Same with any time I added a new crab, he was the one who asserts his dominance. Now I'm sure most of you are going to say you can't really tell who's the dominant one, but after watching Horus put Set in his place when Set was first introduced to the tank (he tried shell fights with everyone in the tank until Horus whacked him. Which I think is funny considering in Egyptian Mythology Horus beat Set after Set killed his father) I'm absolutely positive that he's the dominant one in this tank. Now my thing I'm trying to figure out is, why the heck is my second smallest crab the dominant one in the tank? I mean he's tiny... smaller than everyone except Amun-ra, and thats only by probably a few millimeters. Has anyone else ever noticed that the small crab is the dominant one?
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una

gdcornell

Re: Dominant Crabbies

Post by gdcornell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 pm

My E, Drexel, is slightly smaller than his "brother", Gatsby, and he has a tendency to punch Gatsby in the face about 3 or 4 times a day for no apparent reason. I've decided that he's just rude.
2 medium Ecuadorians Drexel, and Gatsby =)

Topic author
Lasuna

Post by Lasuna » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Horus isn't really rude, just obviously dominant. He only gets rough when the others decide to pick a fight. haha
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 pm

My Es can be like that, especially with each other. I have 2 small Es that whenever they see each other in the tank one will run to the other, smack him, then walk away. It's not always the same one doing the smacking, so I think it's just the way they are.
Owner of 4 PPs

kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:10 pm

My crabs are sneaky, they will wait for the other one to turn away then jump on their shell. For "fighting" for dominance, my PP's just shove with their big claw, where E's do this double punch boxing thing with each other.