Woohooo! Two females with eggs! Update P.6! BABIES! (PPs)

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

rane4102

Re: Woohooo!! Two females with eggs!! Update P.6! BABIES!!

Post by rane4102 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Gosh, this is just amazing. I find myself checking this forum four or five times a day to see if there is any new baby news. Thank you so much for constantly keeping us all updated. What an amazing experience we're all getting to witness!
And oh my god they are the cutest things ever. I don't think you could ever post too many pictures!
Started crabbing in November 2010

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 pm

OMG!!!! Congrats but OH SO SCARY :shock: !!! I wouldn't want to have to deal with that, I am only 2 weeks into the hermie life (give me a couple years I will prob change my tune! )
I really hope some of them make it to land stage. I have read and read about crabs and everything said they can't/won't lay eggs in captivity. You showed them hun! Can't wait to see more pics :D
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Keep up the pictures, we love them! Also, it's good you are documenting things like the ammonia levels, water change frequency, etc. in here. Given that so little has been done in trying to raise them anything you can do to document the process is wonderful.
Owner of 4 PPs

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 am

More pictures and videos and updates the better! I think we are all loving it! It helps us be a part of it. If any of these guys survive I think I shall want to know how their whole life goes. =) It would be so cool to see them progress throughout their lives from eggs. I must note that they all look like they have very large noses. :crabbigsmile: They look nerdy (in a cute way). :hlol:
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 am

dude! bump the post as much as you want! I think I speak for everyone when I say the more info/pics the better :D So exciting! I feel like I'm pacing the delivery room floor like a nervous parent waiting for a baby to be delivered :lol:

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm

^parrothead: ROTFL!!! I was thinking the same thing!!!

I gotta hand it to Cat and Big Mamma; could you imagine having THOUSABDS of babies all at one time?!?!? And carrying them ALL around on your hip for 3 months?!?!?!
I have 8 crabs available for adoption, please PM me if interested.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:06 pm

If I could release my babies in the ocean and be done with it, I would totally take carrying them on my hips for a month. Better than 9 months of pregnancy and then 18 or more years of programming just one human! Or so I gathered... ;) I don't like kids.

The babies don't seem to be dying as fast as I expected. There looks like just as many as yesterday, and I can only see like three dead ones on the bottom (knock on wood). But here is something...when the light is on, the babies go up, but the brine shrimp go down. Their food doesn't like light! What do I do about that?! :? I was thinking I was going to starve them because I started seeing no brine shrimp, but when the lights go off, I see TONS. Do I make the light...dim? I just don't know.

@skymall They do look nerdy!! Aaha! :lol:
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 pm

That's so weird :shock: but they were getting them before right? Do they swim down to get them? I would try dimming the light and seeing if you get a cosy medium :|
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Parrot is spot on!

That is so odd about the light....I will see if I can contact my marine bio professor. She raises crabs in the "Crab lab" none from eggs that I know of, but she might have some input on this light business. Worry not! :banana:
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:36 pm

I think some of them have figured out food is at the bottom. And I do see an occasional brine shrimp swimming in the middle. I'm not sure how to dim the hood light or if it's possible. I think since they have been fine so far, they will continue to be fine. I hope. Maybe I can get a filter like they use for spot lights that I can just put between the light and the glass to make it dimmer.

Oh, and I had another observation this morning. When their light first comes on, they don't eat right away. They ignore food for like 10-15 minutes (not sure how long I was watching). Maybe adjusting and getting their bearings.
Crabby since May 2009

Nnnnnnnn

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Wow... That is AWESOME... more bumps every five seconds please.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:47 pm

I have another question for you marine people. Do I need to add calcium? I don't have a substrate in there because I want to be able to vacuum the bottom scum to decrease ammonia as much as possible since Ive been experimenting with foods. No substrate means no extra minerals and stuff. My salt mix doesn't say what's in it, it basically just says. "it has everything, don't worry!" but does it? I know they make liquid calcium, but does that do anything and do I need it? My brand of salt is Instant Ocean. I want my babies to be able to grow skeletons. Kinda important. Do I need to add anything else to the water besides dechlor and salt?
Crabby since May 2009

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:32 pm

You could try adding an oyster shell or a chunk of cuttlebone maybe :? That way you can remove them when you're cleaning the water
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Happy Crabber

Post by Happy Crabber » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Can you plug the hood into a dimmer?

Love the updates. Thanks!
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

HaydenHermie

Post by HaydenHermie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:21 pm

They'll probably get the calcium from the brine shrimp.

The light thing is interesting. i wonder if they need UV light to grow. It could easily be a part of their diet, with them being as small and living how they are at the surface. All I know is animals that go towards light normally are sun-dependent animals. Or use it in some way to process, let's say, calcium and vitamin D.