E's are crazy!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

kuza

Re: E's are crazy!

Post by kuza » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm

If I had a 120 I would want to put it in the middle of the room or there would be no way to reach in to the back or corners when you need too. the 90 is seriously huge and hard enough to get in to change stuff around.

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:22 pm

I fell in love with the 120g at Petsmart........figure when the $1 sale at PSP happens again I want to buy the biggest possible!!!!! Think I will do some measuring today and figure out a place for it :P (months away and already planning hahaha)

This morning was interesting. The "No Skinny Dipping" sign was turned over and half buried, 2 of the oyster shell dishes were half buried, another was turned on it's side and stuck down in the sand (HOW DID THEY DO THAT!!!!) Other than that it was just sand piles EVERYWHERE! I LOVE IT :crabbigsmile: :clap:
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

Topic author
MilkingMooMoo's

Post by MilkingMooMoo's » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 am

I believe the 1$ a gallon sale doesn't apply to tanks over 55(?) gallons. Don't quote me on that though! I just somehow remember that being said a few times here.

I just put the 1st E that was ready into the 75 :) I know it was early, actually super early! I had to though, he was killing the 20 and I was afraid he would run into the other two (both molting). He got a bath and no mites from what I can see. (Second bath.) I set him down right in front of a very awesome HUGE hide that just so happens to be right next to the pools. The second I set him down he went in a terror-blind-run away from my hand and straight into the salt water bowl. After a few minutes of watching him back up and run into the side of the kk(the kk is not the tank, it is the water bowl.) There are sloped rocks into the pools, and fake plants in the pools, this was the first occurrence I have seen of a crab not able to get out of my pools. It is so funny to watch them un-stick their eyes from each other, and separate their feelers! The colors on that crab are SO amazing! I was so wishing I had my phone on hand to take a picture during the bath. I love this crab!
Live dead!
11 PP's
3 E's

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 am

You have some wild Es! Mine are neat freaks. Maybe they just need more Es. I can't wait to hear more about your little guys, they sound so adorable!
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 am

I hope to luck up and find a used tank.......but won't hold my breath. They seem few and far between.

My guys were well behaved neat freaks last night apparently. There's some food around and that's it other than a sponge is now on top of one of the fake plants (HOW??????). I think they actually slept last night. My PP is out today and they are all 3 together in the moss pit getting to know each other. Hope it's this smooth when George comes up from his molt (if he ever does sheesh he's killing me!)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:52 pm

MilkingMooMoo's wrote:I believe the 1$ a gallon sale doesn't apply to tanks over 55(?) gallons. Don't quote me on that though! I just somehow remember that being said a few times here.
To 55 and no larger, and some of the sales have only been to the 40 breeders. Good luck finding a 55 though! Go the first day of the sale and keep calling in to find out when they get deliveries. I had to drive an hour to buy mine as my local store only got one 55 gallon during the whole thing!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
MilkingMooMoo's

Post by MilkingMooMoo's » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm

My only E that's up is never sleeping! I love this crab! A few times he has hung out right up against the glass, he isn't scared of me at all! Normally when I walk by half the tank of crabs vanishes. I have smashed my face against the glass, so close my eyes cross! He doesn't even flinch, he just has a feeler party up against the glass. Aren't E's supposed to be skittish?
Live dead!
11 PP's
3 E's

kuza

Post by kuza » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:53 pm

only after a molt or when they are in a new environment, but my E's only jump if I enter the room through a well lit door and that would startle any of my crabs, they just all react different to it. None of my crabs are scared of me at this point, even my most recent molter is warming back up to me in 2 days. Maybe it's because I don't have the room well lit compared tot he tank so I cause less of a shadow.

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:51 pm

wodesorel wrote:
To 55 and no larger, and some of the sales have only been to the 40 breeders. Good luck finding a 55 though! Go the first day of the sale and keep calling in to find out when they get deliveries. I had to drive an hour to buy mine as my local store only got one 55 gallon during the whole thing!

Well poo :( Do they ever have the larger ones on a special sale during that time? I will have to just keep a watchful eye out on all places/tanks. I am a hour and half away from the nearest pet shop so gonna be rough getting lucky either way. I saw a ad for a place in Kentucky Al's maybe or something, up near Lexington (still a hour and half) but a small mom and pop shop, think our luck would be better at a place like that?

HaydenHermie

Post by HaydenHermie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:33 pm

The tank trashing does tend to grow along with the crabs! But it's all in good sport, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself everytime I have to re-fix up their tank. My crabbies tend to knock things off of the wall and topple ontop of them. Last night I heard a pretty loud drop of something falling apart in the crabitat, turned on the light, and saw the crabs just sitting ontop of this pile of what used to be a beautiful climbing station. >.< Oy. Hehe.

They certainly can be naughty. But they're incredibly cute and it's really only for their amusment. So as long as they're amused and happy, so am I.

=)
Congrats on the E's. I definitely agree that bigger is better in any aspect of having pets. =)

Topic author
MilkingMooMoo's

Post by MilkingMooMoo's » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Craigslist! If you want a cheap tank, defiantly use Craigslist! It will probably take a while for one you want to come up, I was looking for about a month before I got my 75 g. It came with two heating lamps, I got it for $80.
Live dead!
11 PP's
3 E's

hulyan

Post by hulyan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:50 pm

I wish I could find E's in the NYC area. Everywhere I've gone have been PPs. I'd really like an E especially since I recently upgraded to an 55g tank.

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 am

Wow great find Moo!!! I had been watching craigslist just gotta keep watchin and waitin

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 pm

I have to agree e's are so fun to watch. I was in petco the other day they had just received a hermit crab order the day before all e's beautiful colors and running around the tank. A friend gave a 29gal so got some of the e's set up the new tat and they are happily trashing it. I have had them for just about a week now they are very active out most of the day seem to have a little down time midday until around 5 or 6pm then get really active again. I put in their dinner around that time and they come out and munch for hours. Funny I love my pps have only had them a bit over a month and was going to say they are really laying low and I don't see them much at all and here I am typing this message and my big guy is right here next to me in the tank by my computer all out and about tonight.

Here are some quick pics of the E's hard to take photos as they kind of roll into a ball and roll away when I come close to the tank.

I love these guys and it's ok with me if they have some fun and rearrange the tank the way they like it.

Topic author
MilkingMooMoo's

Post by MilkingMooMoo's » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 pm

One of my E's came up from a molt today.. with bright orange eyeballs!
Live dead!
11 PP's
3 E's