Prepping for Babies! (In the food dish this time. Sigh.)

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Prepping for Babies! (They're here... sort of...)

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 pm

kuza wrote:you mean a brothel :)
Hey hey now, I'm way too young to be called Madam. :hlol:

I'm on pins and needles waiting here, so thank you all for the laughs! I've got a red flashlight and I'm trying not to peek in on them too much but for how the ladies are circling the dish it's gotta be tonight, right?

I was probably going to be up most of the night anyway, so I'll just keep checking as little as I can. :)

(They started fracking a well practically in my back yard this afternoon, so for the next three weeks it'll be 24 hours a day of drilling and trucks and stupid gas people. yay. We're right on the township border so while our city hasn't allowed drilling yet, the township doesn't care so they're starting there, going under the town, and ending up in the township again. Grr... I didn't think it would be this gosh darned loud though. :( )
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 pm

The set-up for them, by the way. :) (IF they're viable. I've yet to have viable babies that lived more than a few hours. :? )

Tank:
It's cloudy as I've already seeded it with phytoplankton. :)

Speaking of phytoplankton:
The green stuff is nano phytoplankton. The bottles in the black bases to either side are brine shrimp. (I highly recommend the specialty hatcheries and also O.S.I brand eggs - much better hatch rate!) The empty bottle is where the new phytoplankton culture will go as I had a full 2 liter have a sudden fail this morning. That worries me as I don't know why it did and I only have those other three as back-ups. :?

And this is my rotifer bin. :) These will be first food for the hermit zoea as it's very tiny and very nutritious. If it fails I have dry cysts to start another batch. (I should have gotten another phytoplankton disk to be safe, but you live and learn. :) )

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 am

This is not the current females (they're both in orange tapestries), but this is the mom from the other day who was leaving them all over the tank. None of the babies made it more than 24 hours and I cleaned everything well and reset the tank this morning which is what you see above. I had forgotten I had taken these.

She hung onto a lot of them and would not allow them to hatch, preferring to dump them in the tank instead. :?

My camera is going to suck for this. :( It's been having a harder and harder time focusing even on things far away, and lately the micro function has been jamming completely. I'm going to call the only camera place left in the area and see if it's possible to have a cleaning and tune-up done on a point and shoot. (The thing turned 5 in May and has taken 20,713 photographs, so I'm sure it is very tired and dirty and is on it's last legs. I wish I could replace it, and we were supposed to this summer, but then Ned, and Clio, and Elda, and babies... yeah. :) )

Blurry photos of unhatched eggs:

And there are three free-swimmers in this one, but they're hard to spot. :(

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:50 am

Hi there,

congrats to your "eegs" :)

the water tank seems to be very big. It will be hard to get enougt food concentration in there. And the sand will hide many bacteria / germs. It will get hard to clean up the tank. Food and dying larvae will fall onto the sand and causes more germs.
As discussed with marine animals breeder I have tried it with a aseptic barrel tank. It is easy to clean, easy to getthe needed food concentration. And it works!
I just worte a note in Shadoes thread for more detials.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:12 am

Next summer we'll switch over to a Kreisel tank. After watching wolf's and my own who were alive for a short period of time, I realized they needed to stay aloft in the water column and be moved around constantly.

For now, I'm going with my fish keeping background and am making sure the aquarium is fully cycled. I also read a study involving fiddler crabs where they matured faster and healthier with substrate in the tank. I don't know if it will make a difference, but I thought it was worth trying once. I agree it may be tough to keep clean, but as long as the good bacteria are in place the water quality should stay healthy.

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 am

In the other breeding thread you will find the links to my documentation. May it will help you!

to get and hold a stable (?) water quality with all the food, poo and germs, we made a water change every day. 50% up to 60%.

Maybe you get a new change earlier. My females (I still know only two of them. A reggie and a viola) hatch eggs continiuesly nearly every month, with little breaks between.

Since I add a bigger salt water pool into my terrarium in the end of August, I have got eggs hatched in water at the following times:

August 2011 (at the moss| reggie)
October 11 , 2011 (Saltwater| unknown)
November 11, 2011 (Saltwater| unknown)
November 25, 2011 (Saltwater| unknown)

Januarary 12, 2012 (Saltwater| viola)
May 23, 2012 (Saltwater| unknown)
June 08, 2012 (Saltwater| unknown)
July 04, 2012 (water dish | could be viola)
August 03, 2012 (Saltwater| could be reggie)
August 06, 2012 (Saltwater| could be viola)

about your shell problem: If you can't find a shop seeling very small shells. Try to find "ocean live sand". There is one sort with shells in it.
Or start a thread for all members living near an ocean to collect very small shells. The first one the larvae used were up to 0,05 inches long. Shell opening 0,04 inches.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:48 pm

How many crabs do you have total? I'm wondering what could be triggering yours to go continuously. It really is amazing that they're reproducing so much! You have extremely happy hermits. :)

I'm not sure I would have known that I had so many females with eggs if it hadn't been for wolf's pictures and that got me to check mine. I think most of the females would have dumped them on the substrate and I would never have seen them. I've also added several female rescues this year that are the right size, so I might get lucky and have them develop eggs later this year. So far though, the few of us who have found eggs and zoea are only finding them during the summer. How warm are you keeping your tank? I think I might have let it get too cool in winter. (27C. This year I plan on aiming for around 32C instead.)

I want to have a bigger tank, but for right now I'm limited to the 510 Liter tank (135 US gallons) for them - it's 1.2 meters long, 1 meter high, and 0.5 meter deep. Not a lot of room for big pools that would be easy to access and clean. The only access to the enclosure is small sliding doors on the back, and it's really hard (and it hurts) to do a lot in there. Not the best design once I started using it! http://www.photobucket.com/wodesorelDC

If any of the babies make it more than a few days (and for whatever reason I'm not getting fully formed zoea - mine look NOTHING like the photos from you and wolf), then I
will be ordering this substrate and will hope it has small enough shells! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16765

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Before I forget, I made a blog post showing how the room is set up for them. I'm actually really happy with it considering it's only 5 feet by 8 feet (1.5 by 2.5 meters) wide. :lol: blog/wodesorel/a_tour_of_my_inverteroac ... b-358.html

Somehow I managed to get everything back into that room, which was great, because the cats broke our computer monitor in the one day we had the hissing cockroach tank on top of the TV in the living room. (They saw the cage and thought our old hamster was back. It was kind of heartbreaking.)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 am

:banghead:

There were a dozen or so babies in the water dish tonight, most of them dead. I have no idea where the rest of the eggs are. Sigh.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:35 am

Oh no :( If you find the female who's laying, could you spawn her eggs yourself? (dip her in a cup of saltwater) and then just transport the babies to the tank?
I'm starting to wonder if it's the bubbler that's making the difference :? You mentioned not having one earlier.. might be worth a shot if you have a spare airstone and pump kicking around.
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:58 am

I put a bubbler in last night for just that reason. Sigh.

And I don't think I want to try the force spawning again as all the babies that came from the one I did that with were already dead.

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:12 am

oh no :(

in which water dish? With salt water or normal water? (in normal water they can't live very long)

the problem is: they hatch the eggs in the early morning (between 3 till 5 a.m) and the larvae come out of the eggs very fast .. If they won't be catched directly and put into a salt water tank with enough oxygen and stuff, they will die very fast. In a water dish is not enough oxygen for all of them.
Or do I understand it wrongly: there was a bubbler in the water dish where she has hatched the eggs?

My hermits hatch eggs since the salt water pool has been installed.

Temperature
Daytime 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
min 26°- max 28°C ( 78.8° F - 82.4° F)

Nighttime 9 p.m to 9 a.m.
min 21° - max 22°C (69.8° F - 71.6° F)

Light
Salt water pool from 8 a.m till 9 p.m. With 1 hour break.
Other daylight lamps are on from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Humidity
Day: between 70% and 82% (> because of the salt water pool)
Night: up to 87%
Depends on the temperature in my livingroom.

It seems to depend on the weather. When there is a high-pressure weather the chance to get eggs is very high. In Germany we don't have constant weather. Even in summertime we have to heat the tanks.
Some times it can be very hot im summer and in my livingroom (for example) the temperature can climb up to 30°C (86 ° F). But normally it is between 26° and 28° C ( 78.8° F - 98.4° F) in the tanks.

last winter (the successfull breeding were hatched in december) was a high-pressure weather, too. But not as appreciable as in summer. (Sorry can't explain it).
there are some people in our bulletin board who told me that their hermits are being the same way (same behavior) in this "high-pressure weather" time.

But this is only my theory!

unfortunately I can't tell you more about their reproducing behavior
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:32 pm

It makes sense - in the wild they are hatching during the start of hurricane and typhoon season so they would want to avoid the bad weather and lay on calm days. I'm sure the weather would have some effect. :) I got my last three batches during high pressure systems as well, now that you mention it!

There was a bubbler in the pool and I've been changing out the water (700ml) two to three times a day to make sure it's staying fresh and clean. (When there's no one around it I'll go in the tank so as not to disturb the ladies.) I caught these last eggs within an hour of them being laid and they should not have died. Either there is something wrong with the eggs themselves and it's not a viable pairing between male and female or these are first-time mothers. (With other species, first broods usually don't survive.) There could also be something inherently wrong with my water and it's not going to be possible for larvae to survive in it, though I think that is unlikely as I had ghost shrimp reproduce once in my freshwater tank.

I spotted one very active and strong swimming zoea in the tank today. :) It's one, but it's something!!!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 pm

kuza wrote:would be pretty funny if that one lives :)
Would be pretty fitting, actually.

My first hissing cockroaches gave birth to a mass of dead babies (about 50 of them). A few days later there was one running around the tank.

Meet Junior:
(Junior, Dad, and Mom)

The ghost shrimp that had babies in my tank a few years ago also gave me just one little one. Seems to be a theme with arthropods in this house. :D

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:38 pm

thank you for this information about hurricanes and thypoons. And as you say, the weather preasure seems to play a role in the complicated process.

:( @ eggs. Hermit only knows why all died. Expect one ;)
Noe the Zoae! :)
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers