Is my hermie Exersizing?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
SploogeTheFish

Is my hermie Exersizing?

Post by SploogeTheFish » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 am

Since last week, my two e's have been running around in my glass food bowl. I know they aren't stuck, because i saw one running around in it, and turning around and walking away. It's a pretty funny sight, i would just like to know why they might be doing this. I do feed them, also.

Rocky

Re: Is my hermie Exersizing?

Post by Rocky » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:22 am

If they are exercising, it isn't much of a workout :P crabs will walk miles as miles every night in the wild, often people will see their crabs running around the perimeter of the tank over and over to try to simulate it. But they could always be burning off excess energy :) maybe a new climbing branch would help them do that? If you have any maple or oak trees around, you could always just cut off a branch for a free climbing toy :) (as long as its pesticide free! :D )
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

My guys LOVE the maple branch I have in the tank. Up and down up and down constantly! They also have a piece of Choya wood in there to climb and a vine and bend a branch around the top rim of the tank to use and I see Toby going around and around it sometimes. Very comical just as I'm sure your dish runners have been lol
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 am

It's funny you post this, last night one of my E's came up from a molt and she did a dance int he food bowl, almost like she was trying to rub the molting smell off herself using the food smell. She only did it for a few minutes and hasn't done it since, and is acting perfectly normal aside from the food dance.