LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

patchouliii

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by patchouliii » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 pm

I cancelled my order of straws with her since I don't think I will be able to accommodate them and since I've heard that they are most susceptible to mites :?: I got a lightening response from her right away. That's a good thing right :roll:
I am expecting violas, indos and E's :D so, I'm a teeny bit excited BUT creeped out from possible mites. I'm praying they are mite free :worry:: when I get them since I ordered in August and they would have been bathing for a while (I know she bathes them). Here's hoping...
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.
Population: 30% Clypeatus, 25% Brevimanus, 25% Compressus, 20% Violascens.
http://s1265.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... i/library/

Headmistress of a half a dozen +1 breech-ling (human eggs)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Es normally don't come with mites, so no worries there unless they were infected by the others. She just got all the other species in 4 days ago, as no one has received any exotic species yet, so they would just be starting baths now. I know that there have been shipments over the past few years where all the crabs in the order were affected, not just the straws, since the mites will spread quickly.

I just can't understand how she's going to be able to bathe that many crabs as many times as needed to treat for mites if she didn't even have the time to email a few people back throughout this whole wait. She has to have gotten hundreds of crabs in. :? That's not going to be an easy thing do to.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 pm

you sure she does baths?

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 pm

kuza wrote:you sure she does baths?
She says she does treat for mites with baths. I just don't know if she is going to this time go round since she is overwhelmed with orders dating back to July!
And since it's official on her website that she can not guarantee crabs to be mite free, she might pass :( . In the past, she gave no warnings and members had no idea what was coming their way. At one time, a member added the LHC "mite infested" crabs into her tank since she had bathed them and all was clear, and in a matter of weeks the crab mites infested the tank, sickened the LHC crabs and unfortunately killed her original crabs as well that she had had for years.
LHC did eventually replace all of the crabs, but the member says it took SIX MONTHS of back and forth e-mails and actually MEETING her in person to deal with it. The order was over $300.
I know in my heart that I can not deal with this type of stress in the future, so this will never happen again. I'll just have to find another way or not :)
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:57 pm

wodesorel wrote:. She has to have gotten hundreds of crabs in. :? That's not going to be an easy thing do to.
I've been reading through the old forums and they are saying over 1000 crabs not 100 :shock:. She says it's very lucrative :evil: and that's why she does it :(
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 am

patchouliii wrote:She says it's very lucrative :evil: and that's why she does it :(
As long as you can move them on before they die, yeah, extremely lucrative:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/105 ... _Crab.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/108 ... _crab.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/104 ... _Crab.html
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:11 am

What is that site you posted there Wode? Is that like ebay or craigslist type thing?

Pat I hate that you cancelled your straws :/ and that everyone is deal with all this.

I have tried to do some research online today but with a migraine it's too hard lol plus weeding out the crap pages with the real ones, it's just too confusing for my brain. There just isn't any reputable people out there that I've been able to find crab wise. Crazy Crab can only deal with ruggies correct? That is if he get's his permit. But how did LHC get/find her suppliers to get so many different breeds of crabs?
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:41 am

She does do mite baths. My last order was mite free. They are treated at harvest and then again in her place. The problem is that with so many crabs in close proximity, it's nearly impossible to get every one. From what I understand, she's changed her practices a lot since Kili lost many of his crabs. It's important that they go into iso for at least 5 days from getting them at home. This gives any eggs stuck to the crabs a chance to hatch before you put them in with your general population. It's also important that double strength salt water baths get done daily. This is the easiest way to check for mites. You might not see them on the crab, but its easier to see them swimming in the water. I put them upside down in the water, and the act of flipping over forces water into the shell, and makes removal easier. She does send directions to treating mites with her order. Honestly, I don't know how she could do it differently. My plan is to evaluate how bad it is, start treatment, and then order predatory mites if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:23 am

Wode, I have seen that site before. For those of you asking, it's a site where buyers can buy hermit crabs in lots of thousands at meare pennies on the dollar and turn them for basically pure profit. So yeah.. she's making $$$$$... Ironically she told me this in an email yesterday :roll:

"this isn't just money"... "I sell these crabs knowing they will be going to a good home"... "...it's a hobby"

As far as mites, I recommend EVERYONE use predatory mites in their tanks. I know it's a bit pricey but worth every penny. Some of you know me and my tank, and some don't but I have a 75g with built in pools and upper level and with H.miles and isopods, I have NEVER treated a crab for mites.

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:07 am

Careyenz wrote: My plan is to evaluate how bad it is, start treatment, and then order predatory mites if necessary.
Could you please link a website? :)
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:13 am

patchouliii wrote: Could you please link a website? :)

This is where I ordered my liter. http://store.evergreengrowers.com/prost ... s+scimitus

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am

parrothead wrote:
This is where I ordered my liter. http://store.evergreengrowers.com/prost ... s+scimitus

I've never had mites, (or any other crawlies in my tank or on crabs) so would it be a good idea to have these predatory mites anyway? Do you see them crawling around?
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 am

Careyenz and Kuza, how long do H. Miles last in your tat? How often, do you replenish the pred. mites. I know this has been answered before but I never really paid attention since I never considered it.
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 am

I added a liter of mites to my 75 gallon. They only come in 1 liter or 2 liter bottles at the site I ordered from. I simply sprinkled the contents directly onto my substrate and they took care of my 'wood mite' infestation in a week or so. I noticed them for about 3 months, but don't think they are there anymore (not sure why, lack of critters to eat I suppose). I will be adding more when and IF my shipment comes in from LHC

kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am

patchouliii wrote:Careyenz and Kuza, how long do H. Miles last in your tat? How often, do you replenish the pred. mites. I know this has been answered before but I never really paid attention since I never considered it.
I've done them 3 times now so I have lots of cool information on them. In my tank they seem to last 3 to 5 weeks as far as i can tell. in the numbers required to really clean up the crab mites anyway.

The females are large and you can clearly see them waving around some feeler type legs in front of their heads and they are more of an opaque tan color. You can clearly see them by the nakid eye, you don't need a magnifying glass. The males are really tiny and white and you can barely see their legs but you can still see them without a magnifying glass against the black rim of the tank but in the sand or moss they are tough to find. They are more the size of the tiny white mites I had on my crabs.

The females don't seem to go outside the tank much, but I do see them crawling around under the top glass in the moist areas. The Males I find on the rim of the tank all the time. I just open the lid and blow them back in or let them be. They don't bug me because I put them in there and I know they are good for the crabs. the ones that do get out I hope clean up my house mites a bit, we all have them :)

What I do know is they seem to work 100% for any crabs on the surface as long as they are up and about for a week. I had a real mite infestation on a few crabs 2 months ago and now I can't see a single crab mite. BUT... and this is a huge but... The reason I've done 3 cycles is because a molter always goes down right before the preds arrive or just right after but too soon, and then come up 4-5 weeks later and re infect the whole tank.

So this second time I did 2 cycles a month apart to try to get them all. I may even have a new order ready for when Rudy and Ruby come up because I'm not sure if they have mites since they stay down for so long.

So if you buy new crabs, and have an ISO where they can't fully bury themselves, then having them for a couple weeks with a liter of predatory mites should clear up any wild mites you have. You can also use half in the ISO and put half in your main tank and when you transfer them in 2 weeks there will still be some super hungry pred mites in the main tank for a just in case.

In fact, if I spend a lot of money from crabs from LHC.com I would get preds ordered ready for when they arrive. Then iso the crabs with the preds for 3 weeks then put them in the main tank. Then if any molters go down right away, wait 2-3 weeks and order another round of preds to use in your main tank for when those first molters come up. They could have had mites hiding under the gills, etc..