LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Nate the great

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by Nate the great » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:46 am

orangemelodie wrote: Sorry but i cant bring myself to order from a place that encourages keeping crabs in KKs and painted shells as well as encouraging keeping many crabs in a small space.
I can understand how you feel, but you also just described the behavior of most pet stores as well as most of the online sellers of hermies - even the reputable ones.

If you set too high of a standard then you're not going to be able to buy from anyone. With craberriesusa.com at least we have a place that ships them properly, offers accurate temp and humidity info, and does not force hermies into painted shells.As much as you might not like them they still raite higher than my local Petsmart or LiveHermitCrabs.com.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

Crab Addict

Post by Crab Addict » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:48 am

Nate the great wrote: I can understand how you feel, but you also just described the behavior of most pet stores as well as most of the online sellers of hermies - even the reputable ones.

If you set too high of a standard then you're not going to be able to buy from anyone. With craberriesusa.com at least we have a place that ships them properly, offers accurate temp and humidity info, and does not force hermies into painted shells.As much as you might not like them they still raite higher than my local Petsmart or LiveHermitCrabs.com.

Agreed, plus LHC advocated for KK's also.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:51 am

I'm not sure anyone can trust the statement that they don't "force" crabs into painted shells. I would bet if you asked any shop on the boardwalk if they force crabs into painted shells, the answer would be no. I would imagine their supplier has a lot more to do with shell assortment than they do.
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 am

orangemelodie wrote: Sorry but i cant bring myself to order from a place that encourages keeping crabs in KKs and painted shells as well as encouraging keeping many crabs in a small space.

And all of those are the reasons why I haven't ordered exotics from any company, and may never will. The only time I actually buy crabs is when I'm stupid and pick them up. I have a problem with putting an animal back to (probably) die once I've looked into it's eyes. (Hubby tells me I need therapy. He's (probably) right. :lol: )
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crab Addict

Post by Crab Addict » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Careyenz wrote:I'm not sure anyone can trust the statement that they don't "force" crabs into painted shells. I would bet if you asked any shop on the boardwalk if they force crabs into painted shells, the answer would be no. I would imagine their supplier has a lot more to do with shell assortment than they do.
That's why I e-mailed asking if the hermits are in painted shells when they receive them or if they move them into painted shells after receiving the crabs and they told me there allow them to move into painted shells by themselves. Obviously you don't go around asking if they force them into painted shells.

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Keep us posted if you order tomorrow! :D
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.
Population: 30% Clypeatus, 25% Brevimanus, 25% Compressus, 20% Violascens.
http://s1265.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... i/library/

Headmistress of a half a dozen +1 breech-ling (human eggs)

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:13 am

My Indo's from LHC came in last week. I didn't get pictures but will soon. I ordered a 6-pack but got 7. They are a bit bigger than I expected so finding shells is going to be a problem. I've talked with Kirk at HCP and we're working together to get some. Never the less, they are quite active and only one went down while the others have spent most of their time swimming in the salt water pools (prepping for a molt I assume) and eating! 6 of them are VERY lilac colored while one is (I dare say) a PINK! yay! Most of them are either missing limbs, or the tips of their legs, but that's to be expected I suppose. I did bathe them, and only noticed dead adult mites. I have had two shell changes and there were NO mites in the empty shells. I treat my tank with predatory mites so if there are any I didn't see, I'm hoping those guys will get 'em.

Good luck to those still waiting :clap:

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:58 am

Glad you FINALLY got your Indos Parrothead! :D Can't wait to see pics! What size did you order? I should be getting mine this week.
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm

THANKS! :cloud9: I ordered medium, but they are in 1"+ opening :shock:

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Whoa!! :shock: Thanks for letting me know! I'm switching my 2 to smalls :(
Don't have room till I upgrade for that size!
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Did you all get a shipping notification beforehand?
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm

I got it two days before I got them. I was able to click on the link and following the shipping delivery information that way I knew I'd be home when they arrived.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 am

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: One of my new Indo's is streaking :shock: I did the usual, just crossing my fingers at this point :fingerscrossed: :worry:: I got up this morning and saw an empty shell in the fresh water pool and after 30min of poking around the tank :smt064 I found him under the rock cave in the corner all freaked out. I did a stress bath and soaked his shell and a comperable shell in salt water and put him in a tupperware back in the tank covered. Sigh... this is what I was worried about :cry:

*****UPDATE****** he's back in his shell :banana:

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:34 am

So happy he's back in his home!! Yikes!! You did great :D I would've been so worried :(
Keep us posted on this little guy.
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 am

yay, I hope he is ok