Zoea *successful captive breeding & rearing of C. variabilis

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Re: Zoea

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:17 am

You guys rock! Awesome ideas!
Eeeek theyre looking at shells!
Natalie van Amstel

Life isn't about how you survived the storm...
it's about how you danced in the rain!

Australia's Online Land Hermit Crab Food,Treats and Accessories Store
CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY
http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:23 am

OMG, you have to get pic of them! :D :shock:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:32 am

Im trying!
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 am

Whee! So exciting! :D
When you get down to really small numbers, maybe tweezer feed? Just to get those little things wigglin', because I think they might float.
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 am

:cheer: go lil babies go!!! this is incredible!
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:07 am

Still rooting them on! Good luck :)
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:39 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:So sorry to hear about the dead guys...
Poor things... Hope you also ok.
Thanks AussieJJDude I'm ok, bit sad to see the numbers drop so quick, I have been telling myself though at any moment it all could go wrong so I'm prepared for the worst.
After the megalopae have eaten they go through a resting period where they lay on their backs (I initially thought this was a hunting technique but now am not convinced) when they are like this they are very vulnerable, the soft underside is exposed, the dead have all had this area eaten out first :|
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:42 pm

RockyGurly wrote:Whee! So exciting! :D
When you get down to really small numbers, maybe tweezer feed? Just to get those little things wigglin', because I think they might float.
so faar there is no real preference to alive or dead, its pretty much anything they can pinch onto. I have put some pupae meal worms in that I freeze for my crabs, they are eating these too. hardest thing is water quality.......... ah the never ending amount of salt water I am going through.
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:54 pm

RockyGurly wrote:70 stage six babies is still so many, you can do this! (and hey, if anything, dead extra babies=dinner :oops: ) maybe try dividers like for betta tanks? And for the hose, if you use a big tupperware container instead of a mini tank for the transition pool, you can poke a hole in it and secure the hose with a zip tie? Or, maybe try putting in a really big rock or something big, solid, heavy and that has a way to zip tie the hose on. I really think that the big difference for the captive bred crabs (and the big challenge) is space, in the wild they have sooo much space, once they get old enough to eat eachother they can get away from eachother. We'd need massive tanks to come close to that.. can you imagine a 55 gallon regular water change? :faint:
Strictly speaking CV megalopa are stage 3 as we have only 2 molts :o
Container chopped, drilled and hose secure RockyGurly :wink:
I've used a resin log for the megalopae to climb up on (if that happens).
Im down to about 20 now :| I have some isolated so there will be no dying for them (fingers arms and legs crossed!), 1 a jar, selection of food and about 9 shells each.
Last edited by Nat_addicted to HC's on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 pm

wodesorel wrote: Wouldn't need to change the water as often or as much. ;) Maybe half, two or three times a week.

The only way you could separate them inside of the tank is to use micron screening, which you can buy for various salt-water tank related hobbies. Otherwise you'd need to put them all in tiny cups or something. :?
I went to the op shop with the idea to buy all the drinking glasses I could..... I thought then I would need air stones so I went to the pet/dead shop and they want $5 each and the crazy lady wouldn't even do a deal if I bought the whole lot, oh and then Id need valves and t pieces........................ I will be ready next time!!!!!
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:11 pm

sandra03 wrote:wow the fact that you still have 70+ at this stage. that's really amazing. i'm sure you'll figure something out but yes i'd get those shells in there soon. yikes! what if you do end up with that many making it to land, what to do with them all lol :shock:
i'm sure it must be frustrating that there's not a lot of info out there about this, but like others have said you're learning as you go and teaching the rest of us at the same time. very interesting reading through this thread.

oh yeah and I would totally pay more for a captive bred. as much as i don't agree with breeding for things like dogs and cats, in this case it could be really good for the wild populations and hopefully cut down on how many are wild caught for sale as pets.

thank goodness you found the babies in time to save them, what luck, and good on you for putting in the time and effort (and money i'm sure) to give them a fighting chance. i don't know if i could do it :oops:
Yes I wasn't supposed to be spending much :oops: I've always wanted to give it a decent shot, next time I will be more confident and hopefully more successful!
I would love to know that my efforts in time will help the wild crabs :crabbigsmile: and all of you crabbers out there that want to give it a go. hopefully when enough of us are having consistent success there will be no need to take them from the wild! Plus I don't want to be one of these people who say Oh I've bred hermit crabs and not show any proof or try and keep it to myself like some top secret operation then charge big bucks, I'm not motivated by money!
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:30 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Cool!
Maybe you have to do something like a betta condo on a small scale :D
Congrats on your hubby giving you some extra shells plus your mum for giving you supplies as well! :D
Can't wait to see pics! :D Can't wait to see some of them in some shells and I can't wait to see them when they are going onto land for there first moult into a land hermie! Its so exciting!
(Yes I am pretty evil! :P)
Yes betta condo exactly!
Shane arrived home late last night with my crab care package direct form Ceduna! complete with some fresh seaweed for my crabbies!!!!!
My girl with eggs has been having so much fun in the seaweed :D
My eyes hurt from straining for hours picking out shells, I bought a bag of shell grit the other day and had been sifting through that previously before going through Shane's collection......
As for mum giving me supplies this is not the case, I have rang her when she's been out chrissie shopping in the city and has been happy to go out of her way to pick up things, I pay her back for everything she picks up for me, she texts and asks how they are going daily :D
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:37 pm

hope I haven't missed anyone or anything, If I have remind me please
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

HermieLuv<3

Post by HermieLuv<3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Oh my gosh! This is all fascinating! Thanks for keeping us all posted on all this major hard work you are doing! So you have the shells available to them now? And they are interested in them? I was confused about that... So they will be shelled and possibly making it onto land that soon!? Wow. So Cool! Go You! =)
I have 13 cutie PP's. :-P
& 4 funny & adorable E's!

HermieLuv<3

Post by HermieLuv<3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Nat_addicted to HC's wrote: Yes betta condo exactly!
Shane arrived home late last night with my crab care package direct form Ceduna! complete with some fresh seaweed for my crabbies!!!!!
My girl with eggs has been having so much fun in the seaweed :D
My eyes hurt from straining for hours picking out shells, I bought a bag of shell grit the other day and had been sifting through that previously before going through Shane's collection......
As for mum giving me supplies this is not the case, I have rang her when she's been out chrissie shopping in the city and has been happy to go out of her way to pick up things, I pay her back for everything she picks up for me, she texts and asks how they are going daily :D

Ok. I see you just got the shells... They are so tiny! I'm sure your eyes are killing! You need a good magnifying glass! LOL.
I have 13 cutie PP's. :-P
& 4 funny & adorable E's!