EE as planting soil?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
lexi1194

EE as planting soil?

Post by lexi1194 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 pm

So I bought some new seeds the other day and I wanted to plant them today. But I have no soil. And honestly, I'm too lazy to go get some today :) but a lot of then time when expanding EE, I wonder if you could grow something in it. Well now I would really like to know the answer, considering I would have a use for it! Lol. So, has anyone tried it before? Does anyone know any general information about it? Thanks! :)
Proud owner of 5 crabs
2 E's: Blondie and Meanie
4 PP's: Lulu, Lil Bit, and the two rescues Bashful and (no name)
RIP Kent, my Superman; "New Guy"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: EE as planting soil?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 pm

I done it! I only problem with ee is that theres no nutrients, so you have "make" up your own :D
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
lexi1194

Post by lexi1194 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Like what? Lol, I seriously lack the green thumb that I wish I had. Would the nutrients be like the little beads you find in soil?
Proud owner of 5 crabs

Eugooglizer

Post by Eugooglizer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 pm

EE is an excellent base for a planting medium, but like Aussie said, you need to add some things to it that will provide nutrients for the plants if you really want them to grow succesfully. Mixing in a generous amount of leaf litter and a little sphagnum moss should do the trick for most plants. You can also add some worm castings if you already happen to have some on hand for the crabs. What type of seeds did you buy?
How's this for muchness?

PPs, Es, Indos, Straws in a 220g habitat

wyldaeval

Post by wyldaeval » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:00 am

lexi1194 wrote:Like what? Lol, I seriously lack the green thumb that I wish I had. Would the nutrients be like the little beads you find in soil?
Egg shells! Add finely crushed egg shells to the EE. They're great for plants, full of nutrients. I quote, "Crushed egg shells add valuable nutrients to soil. Calcium is essential for cell growth in all plants. Calcium is especially important for fast growing plants because they quickly deplete the surrounding soil of calcium. Egg shells should be washed before you place them in a compose or into your garden.
Make sure you crush the egg shells before you add them to your garden. Egg shells that are not crushed will break down very slowly." I used them for my roses and they were big and beautiful! :)
Life is all about how you handle "plan B".
First introduced to hermit crabs while stationed on Guam back in the 70's.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 am

There are several brands of seed starters that are just cocofiber now. Those little pucks you hit with water to expand? Yep - cocofiber. :D A lot of companies are moving away from using peat moss to using cocofiber instead since it's renewable and has a better pH and more nutrients for seedlings. Even miracle grow has a new "expanding" potting soil that is fortified cocofiber.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:58 am

wodesorel wrote:There are several brands of seed starters that are just cocofiber now. Those little pucks you hit with water to expand? Yep - cocofiber. :D A lot of companies are moving away from using peat moss to using cocofiber instead since it's renewable and has a better pH and more nutrients for seedlings. Even miracle grow has a new "expanding" potting soil that is fortified cocofiber.
Really? I though EE had nothing in it at all - except coconut :D
Thanks wod for that info :D
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
lexi1194

Post by lexi1194 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Awesome! Thanks, Wode :)
Proud owner of 5 crabs