LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

parrothead

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by parrothead » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:03 pm

cjmiller wrote:For those of you who have ordered violas before - when she says small is that pretty true to a small size - or if I order small am I going to get tiny tiny crabs?
I got small Violas just last month, they were a perfect size small :D

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 pm

I had ordered small violas from her a couple years ago. They came small (normal small), now are happy, beefy mediums! :D
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

cjmiller

Post by cjmiller » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 am

Ok so now I need an opinion - I really want violas - BUT - I really don't want to have another tank set up. I have empty tanks - I just don't want to deal with two tanks on a regular basis. Is it ok to mix the PP's, E's, and violas? Or should I maybe just not get the violas until I am ready for another tank? I keep going back and forth on it and I just can't make up my darn mind. At least if I order them I will have some time to prepare....since the shipping is going to be delayed for a while.

I want em - just don't think it is bad enough for two tanks yet ;) maybe in the future....but not right now.
Christina
8 PP's and 10 E's in a 170gal tank / 3 Straws, 4 Ruggies, 3 Violas in ISO right now after shipment
Also have two dogs, Jax and Bailey, and one cat, Nina

kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 pm

I believe most people mix them up together, only Rockygirl had a separate viola tank as far as I'm aware.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 pm

cjmiller wrote:Ok so now I need an opinion - I really want violas - BUT - I really don't want to have another tank set up. I have empty tanks - I just don't want to deal with two tanks on a regular basis. Is it ok to mix the PP's, E's, and violas? Or should I maybe just not get the violas until I am ready for another tank? I keep going back and forth on it and I just can't make up my darn mind. At least if I order them I will have some time to prepare....since the shipping is going to be delayed for a while.

I want em - just don't think it is bad enough for two tanks yet ;) maybe in the future....but not right now.
I keep all my crabs (including Violas) in the same tank with out incident.

lefty

Post by lefty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:52 pm

i had to adjust my temps a little higher before i got mine but they're in main tank and have found them to fit in very well. i really love having the different kinds, so happy in their silly shells you can always spot them. :lol:
10 pp.'s ,5 E's, 2Violas, 4 strawshttp://s1330.photobucket.com/user/aliso ... y/library/
i respect all choices, even the ones that are not mine!( that is to remind ME)

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:29 pm

I have 6 species mixed. I do have a separate E tank for troublemakers, but haveno issues otherwise.
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

cjmiller

Post by cjmiller » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Awesome! Thank you everyone.

Last question (for now lol) What does she normally charge for the overnight shipping? If I am remembering it correctly isn't it around $35?
Christina
8 PP's and 10 E's in a 170gal tank / 3 Straws, 4 Ruggies, 3 Violas in ISO right now after shipment
Also have two dogs, Jax and Bailey, and one cat, Nina

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:31 pm

cjmiller wrote:Awesome! Thank you everyone.

Last question (for now lol) What does she normally charge for the overnight shipping? If I am remembering it correctly isn't it around $35?
Yup $35

Mattygun

Post by Mattygun » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 pm

This is very helpful information. I am considering ordering some exotics from this site. I sent her an inquiry about the shipping and she replied within 12 hours. Of course, I haven't placed the order yet. I am going to check with my local exotic pet guy but I fear he may only be able to get the PP'S. As for the exotics, I am considering 3 straws, 3 violas, and a couple of E's. I currently have 4 smalls (3 pps and I believe an E) and a jumbo pp named Thor, all in a 20 gallon tank. Happy to say after losing my first jumbo in only 3 weeks all my crabs seem very healthy. My tank conditions are textbook best I can figure. (2 have been down buried for 8 days...my first molting crabs?! No fishy smell yet so fingers crossed.). I'd like to get my new crabs in a large size for a total of 13 crabs. If I upgrade to a 40 gallon tank with elevated live moss pits, drift wood and a hemp hammock, would you all think that size would be sufficient?

Just want to add as a new 'crabber' ow much I appreciate this site. I owe my daughter for reintroducing me to keeping exotic animals as pets. I love these fascinating creatures! Thanks all!

LittleCrabby12712

Post by LittleCrabby12712 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Straws won't be a good choice, since you're a new crabber. They require alot of care and expierence.
Proud owner of 6 PPs and the new addition of 2 E's!

Mattygun

Post by Mattygun » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Yea, I've been thinking of that as I have continued researched further. In your experience, what are the special needs that Straws require? Are their required conditions different enough that they require to be kept separately? I read many places where folks keep them with other species but I would appreciate your feedback on the matter.
Thanks!

kittyluvcrabby2113

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm not an straw owner but I do know some of there requirements... (fixed my answers)
They need a lot of substrate about 4-8 inches deep (depending on the biggest crab size)
There temp must range from 80-85 & humidity 80 * it must stay like this at all times it cant drop below
They require a large saltwater pool
A large crabitat at least a 40 gallon tank or bigger
And a wide variety of foods, and certain foods to maintain there color.....
Last edited by kittyluvcrabby2113 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours Truly Kitty / Mother of 2 Beautiful Girls & Crab Mommy To 10 PURPLE PINCHERS ******* Minnie & Mickey, Tiny tot, BIG Homie, Woody, Fresh, Pacc, Ray, Creeper, & Grip ****
RIP_ Handy & Star mommy will always miss you :(
********* Yaaay I just Got Engaged 07/25/2013

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Where did you get that info on straws? Pretty much none of it is true.

Are straws more delicate and harder to keep alive in captivity in the long term? Absolutely yes. Do they really have any special requirements that we can pinpoint at this time? No. The problem is that we don't know what it is that we're missing in their care that causes them to rarely live more than a few years in captivity.

Any well set up crabitat with the standard resources is all that's required for straws. They need 3X their height in substrate depth for molting, around 80/80 for temp/humidity with rises and falls for day and night, marine saltwater in a dish deep enough to allow them to fully submerge, an amount of space in the crabitat corresponding to their size as measured here: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/sizing.htm.

Also, I believe Indos are the largest species of hermit crab followed by the purple pincher. Straws can get to jumbo size but I've never heard of one bigger than that. Somebody correct me on that one if I'm wrong.

boxcat

Post by boxcat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I agree 100% with everything Sugarselections said. Regarding hermit crab size, I think PPs grow to the largest mass but indos have the largest size? Something like that-- they both can get very large though.
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR