I must be doing something right! :)

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Rose7314

Re: I must be doing something right! :)

Post by Rose7314 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 am

Lol awww poor girl. I would be scared too! Where did you get your vines? Someone ate the oter half of the grape or they buried it. God I hate it when thy bury their food! Lol. Maybe Herc is going to be a future jumbo. It's funny cause I was kinda scared when I got Rocky because he was so big and I was afraid he was going to pinch me, but he truly is a gentle giant. I can't wait to see how big he gets. Little McKenna was hanging out with Hermie last night by the pool. I think she is really taking a liking to the bigger crabs. She's not scared of me either. I put my finger down by her and touched her leg and she didn't even flinch. B.j doesn't even care when I pick him up anymore, he just hangs out of his shell all relaxed. Lol I love the progress try are making with me :)
Some days I just have a little weirdness running through my blood :)

Nia

Post by Nia » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Yea it is great when they bond. It just takes time for some, some more than others. I found mine at a craft store (AC Moore's). If you are lucky to have a walmart with a craft section you can sometimes find them there too. Make sure that they don't have metal in them tho. Sometimes you can just cut off that part or take the metal out. I cut that part off if it has it just to be safe and glue it together to make a vine or rope the flowers. They usually don't cost much either vines were 1.99 and the flowers were .99 so it was a great deal on it :). Our walmart sucks lol. We don't have a real craft section anymore, about 4 years ago they revamped the store and took a lot of stuff out Naturally these were the areas I frequented lol. We don't have a fabric section anymore or real craft area. Thank goodness a AC Moore was put in lol. It is a high craft area too so they're changes baffled everyone. When I didn't need this kind of stuff it was everywhere, now that I need it I can't find it anywhere lol. My luck lol.
I am so glad that mine never bury their food, well at least not yet lol. They just gobble it on the spot :hlol:. One might drag a bit into a corner and devourer it there but so far no burying. Ugh need to fill those bowls again lol. I gave them worms for breakfast and the second the dish hit the EE Reese was in it lol. Need to switch them to the freeze dried for the car rise tho, ew so not dealing with those worms on the ride lol. Don't want to hit a bump, or something, get kicked by the baby, etc and wear them lol. Hope that they like them enough to eat them tho lol.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:55 am

Yeah our craft section in walmart doesn't exist very much either. Luckily we have a great big Michaels craft store so I will have to check that out :) that's where I get my shells. Lol yeah I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with that on the ride. I really dislike moving pets. I think it's cute how McKenna seems to look up to the older crabs lol do you ever baby talk your crabs? I catch myself doing it way too often lol

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 am

lol I call them baby a lot n tell them they are cute. This grosses the hubby out lmao. That is about the extent of baby talk lol idk just never have. Of course when people talk of baby talk all I can think of is the grandmother in Look who talking standing over the baby babbling lol. Herc loves to be called a cutie lol he tilts his head and everything :P.
We have put the move in fast forward thanks to some things that have come up >< but no one is answering my tote questions *sigh*. Idk what to do I am thinking of moving the post to some place more frequented. So need to know this stuff but not seeming to get the help. I may have posted in the wrong section lol who knows.
Oh and Bat Girl discovered the vines last night lol. She was all over the place lol. She went crazy going up and down them and in between the leaves it was so funny. A kid with a new toy lol. She was there all night long and still isn't up lol. Long night in the life of a party girl I guess lol.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Lol Batgirl definately sounds like a party girl! :) yeah I wish I could help you on that one but unfortunately I'm not on that level of knowledge yet lol

Nia

Post by Nia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 am

Lol well I had a scare today ><. It has been the week of H*** omgosh. Yep if I ever find murphy I am so slapping him lol. So everything that can go wrong has gone wrong this week lol. Now today even with the hermies, they almost gave me a heart attack. I went in to fill their bowl and saw legs everywhere. My heart just stopped and I said oh no oh no oh no -.-. So I went on a crazy crab search started looking at the back n no one (not digging just looking) to see them all snuggled together under the vines by their salt water. I started picking each one up and they popped out like whoa what's going on lol. Checked each one, one by one and they have all their legs and claws so Im like wth lol. Here I am guessing that someone hadn't finished their exo when they molted >.>. When I looked closer at the limbs I removed and cleaned off the EE I saw that they were empty limbs n claws *sigh*. I really though someone got hurt lol n they all looked at me being frantic like I was crazy lol. Herc just sat their rubbing my hand with his claw as if to say its ok mommy we are fine lol. I swear this move is making me lose my mind lol. Really in need of a nights sleep too :P. So glad they are all ok but man did they give me a scare lol.
Yea I never did the party scene either lol but I have friends who did :P I always said no thank you lol. Give me a good book n I am just fine sitting at home lol. Hubby shocked me today lol. All concerned about if they would make it and do I know how I am going to set them up yet lol. He really does not do things that crawl lol. I was glad to see him concerned tho lol it means he is better with them, well so long as they are caged lmao. It is rather funny to see a 6'4" guy afraid of a quarter size crab rofl. I will never forget the first time he saw a horseshoe crab either rofl. 2 washed up at the beach during breeding season and got caught upside down in the water. Good thing he saw them tho cause I ran out to right them, they drown that way cause they don't break apart. We had a big problem with that one year during a storm a bunch got washed up n drowned :(. Lol at his reaction tho of a omg what in the world is that thing lmao. His face was priceless :P MI don't have beaches so no horseshoe crabs apparently. Like I said he is bad with any type of crab lol. He says they just are odd, funny looking, and creepy lol. Men :hlol:. They find the oddest things to be afraid of lol.

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:46 am

Phew! I'm glad they're all okay! :) I wish mine would pop out of their shell when I picked then up. Only B.J does sometimes. Do you think they had dug up their old exoskeletons to eat them? I actually saved B.js for awhile in a plate on the counter until I got sick of looking at it lol now I know I should've just left it in the tank for him. I actually got scared at first when I saw crab legs in the dirt because I thought someone was losing limbs. Then I was like wait a minute, someone's molting lol but it is worrisome because don't crabs lose limbs when they are stressed? I'm sore you've had a rough week :( mine aren't the best either but I try to manage. A couple weeks ago I thought I was pregnant (yikes!) and yesterday my boyfriend spent all day in the ER because he was having chest pains. Tried telling him he just has a pulled muscle but he wouldn't listen to me and low and behold, he has a pulled muscle. Men *sigh* I don't sleep well either. Who's Murphy? Lol. Awwww that's nice of him to be concerned:) once in awhile my boyfriend will be concerned but not often lol he won't even let me put a crab on him to crawl. Awwww I love horseshoe crabs! That was really nice of you to upright them :) are they endangered or just rare to see? I know there is something special about them, I just can't remember what lol

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:36 pm

I got bored today and decided to make my own vines lol I have a couple spider plants that have grown these long vines with babies at the end. I also have this plant that grows these very long vines and it has leaves that grow off of the vines so I clipped some of those off too and duct tapes them to the roof of their tank so thy dangle down. Now let's just see if they notice them and try to swing on them lol it actually looks pretty cool. Kinda like a jungle now :) sadly Rocky is already trying to eat them lol

Nia

Post by Nia » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Lol yea thats the thing with putting in real ones lol they eat em. Mine have discovered being Tarzan now *sigh* lol one more thing I have to move back. Now instead of a slide Reese swings from the bubblier. This boy lol.
Yea I know men lol mine is the same way. He don't even like a crab crawling near him forget on him lol. They aren't endangered but numbers were low for awhile. He had just never seen them before and freaked out lol.
I meant murphy like murphy's law reference lol "if it can go wrong it will". Swear I wanna slap that guy lol. Crap always got to hit the fan when you don't need it to :o. That scare was just one more thing to stress me lol. They are all perfect tho so I am happy lol. They have been crazy all day today. On everything, into everything, and acting like a group of crazy kids lol. Yea they drop limbs when stressed and I was worried with all the extra noise n craziness that maybe they had gotten stressed or had a fight or something. I am guessing the just dug them up or when they were digging they got brought up. They have been digging and making a mess lately lol. They really are reminding me of E's from how everyone says how destructive E's are lol. Cause they are wrecking everything in there lol. They are extra hyper lately an idk why playing more, destructing more, and just looney in there. Hope things get better for you guys soon. Stress plays a lot on your health so be careful, one of the reasons mine is so bad lol. How are the others liking the vines?

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Ooh now I get it, Murphy's law! Yeah I'd like to help you slap that guy! Yeah my health isn't great but it could be a lot worse. At least I'm getting my taxes tomorrow *phew* and I can spend some of it on improving the crabs tank. Haven't hot to do much with the kids so I'm going to put some aside to have a fun day with them. Poor kids are always asking to do something an we always have to tell them no, we don't have money to go somewhere. Sad really. Your poor crabs must miss their vines. Mine get destructive too an just when I get their tank just right thy have to go and mess it up *shakes fist* Kids and their rooms lol I wa very surprised at Hermie today. She actually got out and explored in the daylight and didn't even flinch when my boyfriend took a closer look at her in the tank. She just kinda sat there as if to say "what are you looking at?". Lol. I actually caught Hurby in an awkward position on top of B.J, I'll have to show you the picture for a little adult humor lol they haven't noticed the point of the vines yet, I'm waiting to see what happens later in the night when they all come out and become more active. I'm hoping yet don't rip them down lol Reese definately sounds like B.J. I once caught B.J. climbing, swinging, and hanging from their old heater lol at least he's having fun :) Yeah I knew there was something special about the horse shoe crabs. Thank you, I hope things get better for you too :)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:26 pm

I told them it wasn't Valentines Day yet but they didn't want to listen lol

I also enjoyed seeing my step daughter continuously put the crabs in time outs today because they weren't listening to her lol she marched into the kitchen and said "Roooooose, Hurby isn't listening to me!" Haha love kids

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 am

Lesson learned this morning: Don't feed B.j honey off of your finger. It's like crack to him and he will try to frantically rip your skin off he wants it so bad lol

Nia

Post by Nia » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:17 pm

Lol omgosh ouch. Mine lap it up fast but never hurt/pinch lol. He sounds like a violent eater :P. Mine still have the vines I won't take them out til I transfer them to their bin lol Reeese would kill me. He almost gave my boy a heart attack the other night lol. He was just being Reese and swinging n my boy was having a melt down and crying cause he thought he'd get hurt lol. Oy if anything ever happens to this crab -.- I do not look forward to explaining that one. It was hard enough when Hermie died :(.
Mine do that to lol. Tho usually it is one climbing on the girl n her running away lol. Hubby is always saying he hopes they are not doing what it looks like they are lol. I always say naw they are just babies yet lol tho I couldn't tell you if it was lol. Who knows if there is a set age when that starts or not. But I made him feel better when I said not only is it very hard to almost impossible to have a breeding pair let alone get babies in captivity. Lol again with my luck if I have a boy n girl it finds a way to breed even if kept separate :P. Got to feed my piglets yet again lol the girls are tapping on the bowl while staring at me (they are out of something lol). They just eat it way to fast :lol:.

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 am

Awww you had one named Hermie too? Poor kid :( When I had to put my dog down and I told my step son he was very upset with me for "killing" her and I had to explain to him that she was suffering and I had to ease her pain and he still doesn't think it's right that I did that to her :/ He's 12 so he has a better concept of death than his little sister. My step daughter was easy to tell, I just told her my dog went to doggy heaven and she was okay with that. Yeah I think he is a violent eater lol I will have to try it with the others. I have a small stick that is leaning against the wall of their tank and I found B.J. perched all the way at the top of it on the end. I was like "Wow that's cool!" Lol. It's really cool how they hold on to things, B.J. has his legs wrapped around it. I haven't seen the others lately, I hope they're okay. I still don't think they have even noticed what the vines are for. I guess I'm going to have to show them lol Yeah I bet Reese would be very upset with you lol That's awesome, did she really tap on the food dish? Yeah I don't think they were really trying to mate, probably just climbing over eachother to make the other one mad lol That's what I heard too is that it's really hard to breed them in captivity, which is nice because then you don't really have to worry about babies, but at the same time I would love to see little tiny baby hermit crabs in snail shells :shock: :lol:

Nia

Post by Nia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Yea Hermie was one of the best Reese reminds me a lot of her. N then there was Hermie crab lol He was such a sweetie. We miss them a lot :(.
Lol Yea they tap on the dish if I don't fill it fast enough for them which I never do lol. I could move as fast as speedy gonzales or road runner and still not feed them fast enough for their liking lol. Reese and Herc attacked their apples last night and have moved up on eating it is now a slice per crab (4 slices) lol. Soon it will be a whole apple :shock:. I might as well buy a half a coconut n just shove it in there soon.
Id be dead meat if I took the vines now lol they all love them. They are just crazy all over everything anymore lol. They go all over the shell shop poking in all of the shells. Upside down runs on the canvas ramps lol.
That is a good value for them to Plastic canvas. It is about a dollar for 4 good size pieces here and you can make so much with it. Mine seem to be doing good with it and have fun climbing on it. Until I can get the money to get them better stuff it was all I have to work with and it is safe for them, Bonus :).
Reese loves being at the top lol Hearts not so much. Is it possible to have a crab afraid of heights? I think she just might be. She went to the top once n froze I had to get her down. Never has she even tried to go up again until last night. We saw her climb the tube just under half way before getting scared again. She just locks up, she locked up so tight that she slid down the tube into the water n didn't unlock for a good 2 minutes. Any of yours act like that?