LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

SachOfSCP

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by SachOfSCP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:25 am

How interesting it is that I say I am considering a refund and get an answer within hours.

Livehermitcrabs via yahoo.com
12:50 AM (28 minutes ago)

to me
I'd be more than happy to issue a refund. However, I am getting the Aussies.. Infact, the airline has contacted me and has asked me to contact fish and wildlife to see if there is anything in particular they need to send for clearance. I haven't received the export date yet. There were delays due to issues on their end with the strict laws. If you wish to cancel, let me know.

Thank you,
LiveHermitCrabs.com

I am going to wait until morning to respond because aside from having emotional family stuff going on that keeps me from thinking clearly I genuinely don't know how to respond as it is more lies.

As we all know, F&W doesn't give a crab's shell about hermit crabs.
There were no delays on the Australian end "due to their strict laws" and I will tell you how I know. For one thing they care WAY less about stuff leaving Australia than coming in. For 2, MC has had permission to export this time around since late 2012 and for 3, I contacted him directly and he said he is exporting to the US and did not mention any issues or delays. There is also still no answer from her on whether or not she even has the straws anyway.
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

Ammolite

LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by Ammolite » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:22 am

Sadly, I've learned from personal experience that she responds fastest when the customer threatens to ask for a refund. That's why I got so many responses last year - I kept telling her that if she didn't provide concrete information by a certain date, I'd be forced to cancel my order.

I may have to cancel my order this time around for different reasons - The fiancé and I recently had to do two surprise/emergency rescues for a total of four PP's. While we are very glad we did them, the rescues now take-up the space originally reserved for the new crabs. We're not sure how many of the rescues will make it (two were in exceedingly rough shape when we received them), but we still don't want to overcrowd. Hopefully we're able to do a better head count by the time LHC has her act together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 PP's and 1 Indo:
PP's - Lordy, Lady, Squire, Khaleesi, Ko, Pirate, Scurvy Dog, Hamburg, Berks, and Franklin
Indo - Biscuit

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 am

I'm feeling really conflicted because of course I don't wanna lose a potential shot at Aussies I have waited over 4 years for but I barely have a better shot at getting them now than I did then (when Bob was supposed to have a pair for me) but I don't know whether I should cancel or not, cancel just the Aussies (or even just the straws since I can at least find them now & then at a store here in town), whether I should call her out on the fact I know she is lying, etc. UGH.

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:25 pm

SachOfSCP wrote:I'm feeling really conflicted because of course I don't wanna lose a potential shot at Aussies I have waited over 4 years for but I barely have a better shot at getting them now than I did then (when Bob was supposed to have a pair for me) but I don't know whether I should cancel or not, cancel just the Aussies (or even just the straws since I can at least find them now & then at a store here in town), whether I should call her out on the fact I know she is lying, etc. UGH.
I think you should wait it out a bit longer. You've waited so long already and I think you'll be bummed if you don't get your aussies

Ammolite

Post by Ammolite » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:18 pm

For those thinking of canceling, I'd recommend not. If you regret your decision, you'll probably end-up reordering in the summer/fall and receiving them in November. I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that getting the crabs later in the year does not go as well.

I ordered last August, hoping to receive the crabs by early October. Much like this year LHC jerked everyone around, promising that the crabs would be arriving "soon" and that they would be shipped "soon." Soon was actually November - I did not receive my Indos until a week before Thanksgiving. By then it was much too cold to be shipping crabs, and I should have canceled for the crabs' sake. But LHC kept promising heating packs, and I just wanted my darn order! The crabs arrived a bit chilled, but seemed to perk-up once they were put in the tank. They clung-on lethargically for about 3-4 months, at which point they started dropping like flies. I ordered three Indos, received five, and currently have one surviving. (Granted, my survivor is doing quite well - He's active now that he molted and summer rolled around.)

I ordered earlier in the year this time around hoping that the crabs would acclimate during the warmer months, prepping them for the icy depths of winter. I think receiving the crabs in July is a much better bet than November.
10 PP's and 1 Indo:
PP's - Lordy, Lady, Squire, Khaleesi, Ko, Pirate, Scurvy Dog, Hamburg, Berks, and Franklin
Indo - Biscuit

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 pm

When you order multiple species, do they each come in separate bags? I ordered four different species, and I am probably going to have a tough time telling them apart lol. Ive seen some viola's that look like blues

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Ammolite wrote:For those thinking of canceling, I'd recommend not. If you regret your decision, you'll probably end-up reordering in the summer/fall and receiving them in November. I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that getting the crabs later in the year does not go as well.

I ordered last August, hoping to receive the crabs by early October. Much like this year LHC jerked everyone around, promising that the crabs would be arriving "soon" and that they would be shipped "soon." Soon was actually November - I did not receive my Indos until a week before Thanksgiving. By then it was much too cold to be shipping crabs, and I should have canceled for the crabs' sake. But LHC kept promising heating packs, and I just wanted my darn order! The crabs arrived a bit chilled, but seemed to perk-up once they were put in the tank. They clung-on lethargically for about 3-4 months, at which point they started dropping like flies. I ordered three Indos, received five, and currently have one surviving. (Granted, my survivor is doing quite well - He's active now that he molted and summer rolled around.)

I ordered earlier in the year this time around hoping that the crabs would acclimate during the warmer months, prepping them for the icy depths of winter. I think receiving the crabs in July is a much better bet than November.
I can only speak for myself but if I cancel I will be done with ever dealing with her. I will just not have Aussies & I will stalk my local pet store for more straws.

Also, from what I understand shipping in colder weather is actually safer than super hot weather (here the temps are at 90+) but either way it doesn't look like she WILL be shipping in July; at least not my order.

@jk87 I honestly don't know as I have only ever ordered one species at a time & they were crammed into a burlap bag to the point of not being able to move. She SAYS she houses them separately but who knows.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:26 pm

My first 2 orders of multiple species came in one bag, but I could tell them apart. This time I was concerned because I ordered cavipes and a viola which I've heard are similar. I told her I was concerned about telling them apart and she said she'd separate them. I plan to remind her of that when it gets time to ship.

It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am

mom23 wrote:My first 2 orders of multiple species came in one bag, but I could tell them apart. This time I was concerned because I ordered cavipes and a viola which I've heard are similar. I told her I was concerned about telling them apart and she said she'd separate them. I plan to remind her of that when it gets time to ship.

I can't wait to see pictures! ahhh! I received an email from LHC, but it didnt say anything about shipment dates. I didnt order any cavipes or aussies, so I wonder if that will shorten the wait. I ordered 2 medium blues, 3 small ruggies, 2 small indos, and 2 medium violas.

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I ordered beginning of march and have not heard anything about shipping next week, and did not order aussies

Axiluvia

Post by Axiluvia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:41 pm

SachOfSCP wrote: That's not a bad idea though all in all it all still supports wild harvests. The only reason I was getting more was so I could study the Aussies and so my 2 straws would have more friends. After this, I'm not getting any more crabs unless they are re-homes; I don't wanna support the harvesting anymore.
True, but there are some breeders on here, or at least people attempting to breed them... I don't like the idea of wild harvesting either, I'd much rather support someone who was making a buisness of breeding and selling them.

Right now, I'm going to stick with my PPs. The others sound neat, but this just seems like too much of a hassle. And the local store near me I know can get straws in every once in a while.
"Every man has a right to be wrong in his opinions. But no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." ~ Bernard Baruch

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:47 pm

I'd rather support breeders too (if there were more than 2 of them in the world to succeed, lmso) but it takes years for the babies to even be big enough to sell so if LHC falls through I just won't get any more exotics and will only get re-homed PPs (if I ever need any more than those I have now). In it's own way this makes me very sad.

Axiluvia

Post by Axiluvia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:43 pm

SachOfSCP wrote:I'd rather support breeders too (if there were more than 2 of them in the world to succeed, lmso) but it takes years for the babies to even be big enough to sell so if LHC falls through I just won't get any more exotics and will only get re-homed PPs (if I ever need any more than those I have now). In it's own way this makes me very sad.
True, but we shouldn't let desire for exotics over run our desire to have a good, sustainable, and most importantly, healthy for them way to get/see them (don't get me started on tiger cub stuff).

Personally, I'd probably suggest kuza and/or wolfnipplechips getting a patreeon page for their breeding efforts. People go where money is, and if we as crabbers show breeding is a viable and worthwhile (money wise) venture, maybe others will start doing so as well.
"Every man has a right to be wrong in his opinions. But no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." ~ Bernard Baruch

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Axiluvia wrote:
True, but we shouldn't let desire for exotics over run our desire to have a good, sustainable, and most importantly, healthy for them way to get/see them (don't get me started on tiger cub stuff).
I agree and this is a part of why I think more of us should stand up to LHC.
Personally, I'd probably suggest kuza and/or wolfnipplechips getting a patreeon page for their breeding efforts. People go where money is, and if we as crabbers show breeding is a viable and worthwhile (money wise) venture, maybe others will start doing so as well.
I'm not sure what you mean by this (assuming patreeon is like a Kickstarter?), especially considering neither of the people you mentioned have succeeded yet (I was referring to Curlz & Nat) & I don't think money was a factor in why not.

Axiluvia

Post by Axiluvia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:18 pm

Patreon is similar, but instead of having a project that needs funding, you fund the person themselves, if that makes any sense. I've seen a lot of webcomic artists, regular artists, webcast people, and lots of others do this, basically you can donate X amount, or X a month, to help with bills, or whatnot, and they give incentives for doing so (a weekly newsletter, Q&A sessions, free sketches, and so on)

Couple of examples
http://www.patreon.com/tealnewcomb
http://www.patreon.com/Widdershins

I chose those two (kuza and wolfnipples) because they had threads under the health and breeding talking about their crabs having eggs and such. And and if people helped with bills and stuff at the very least, it might incentize other people to try as well.