I must be doing something right! :)

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Nia

Re: I must be doing something right! :)

Post by Nia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Lol unless you want 0 fish opt out of getting sharks. I have no idea what type it was but it was a tiny baby n it ate ALL my fish including one that was pregnant that I had in the special net box (still trying to figure out how he did that). The guy at the pet store said what it was but I don't remember but man was I ticked n gave him an ear full lol. I think I was only 6 cause after that I was turned off fish tanks for awhile. Until I was given my sea horses that is lol. N yes oh do I know about wanting to strangle mates lol. Lol esp when they say WE have a hard time making up our minds when you ask them a simple question n they change theirs 8 times lmao. I am going to have IDK written on their tombstones -.- lol.

He is being a champ with it shockingly lol. Well he complained a lil today cause now that I see where it hit him I put the patch right over it n it did burn some. They work great on swelling and other than Neo it is all I had lol. He has a lil temp that comes and goes but over all its a lot better than this morning. Lol only thing he really cries about is shots everything else has to be major for him to care. He will run into a door face first n laugh lol mom's the one cringing. He once busted his chin open bad n deep didn't cry til he saw blood then panicked. Man inside I was a mess but I didn't want him to see that. I was shaking tho -.- I felt so bad as he was only 1 1/2. I treated it and butterflies on it and you don't even see any scar. Grandmom was a nurse so we all had excellent nurse training lol plus being an animal rehabilitation worker/vet helper lol came in handy. Boys they are always banging something n he is king brute lol. I am starting to think his life goal is to make my heart stop -.- lol. Yea he is the same with some things lol he loves to announce injuries for attention lol. The whole mommy kiss it n make it better thing too lol. I think I've kissed his eye 30 times in less than 2 days lmao. *sigh* kids lol they can be so over dramatic sometimes :P.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 am

Lol he sounds so cute. Ouch busting your chin open doesn't sound fun at all! Glad he had good care :) my nephew is the same way. He was learning to crawl and somehow he must've got past us and to the top of the stairs and he fell down the stairs :( luckily wasn't injured, just a couple bruises. Then when he was 3 i think my parents had their window open and there was no screen in it and this kid decides he is going to climb out (mind you it's a second story window) and he fell out of the window and onto the grass in the backyard. Oh my god talk about freak out. Luckily somehow he wasn't injured by thy either. He just has no sense of danger or fear of anything. Now he's 6 and he is much better. His ODD probably has a lot to do with it but idk.
Lol it was a literal shark they said you could put in the tank? Wow, definately didn't know what they were talking about lol indecisiveness is very annoying! That would drive me crazy lol
Some days I just have a little weirdness running through my blood :)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:24 am

Now I found Dragon dead :( I don't understand what is going on. He must've come up from his molt last night and he was over by the water dishes. He was out of his shell but he was right next to it and his shell was kind of wedged in by a water dish. He was all freshly molted too :( maybe Smog attacked him? Idk *sigh* no more crabs :(

Nia

Post by Nia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:29 pm

aw I am sorry to hear all of that and all of your losses. Sometimes they get to stressed during molts. Are they getting to warm/cold, humidity up enough? It can be so many things that could be going wrong :(. So sorry.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Yeah everything is all good in the tank. I was so looking forward to him molting too. I guess this is the part where you toughen up and move on? I'm down to three crabs :( so I moved Smog in with my last two PP's. He immediately went into the cave with Hurby and I've been keeping a close eye to make sure he doesn't bother them. He seems pretty civil for now. The kids are going to be disappointed, that's the part I'm not looking forward to cause I haven't even told them about the deaths of the last two crabs. I think I'll get one more E and keep it at 4 crabs. Seems way easier lol

Nia

Post by Nia » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Yea that is hard. Naw grieving before the moving on is best, it is always sad n hard. It is good that they are getting along, he was probably lonely. Hopefully things get better for you guys. N may the next crabby be a happy crabby lol.

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Lol yes a happy one would be nice! Maybe crab karma finally caught up to Dragon. How are your guys and gals doing?

Nia

Post by Nia » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Well Reese just finished another molt lol. It is molt craziness this month and I apparently missed the memo lol. I hope they get it all out of the way soon lol. They have cleaned me out of coral cal :o.They molted so much this month n last that I have no more coral cal lol. Waiting on their new bag still so hopefully all the stuff I have left will do. They still have their calci block so I hope that enough to hold em over til I get it *sigh* heifers lol. How are your new ones getting along with the rest of the crew?

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Lol wow that is a lot of molts! Good luck to ya! :) B.j is still down molting and Hurby decided one night that he was going to pull a surface molt (which explains why he has been so inactive). I thought someone had killed him but it was his exo hanging out of the shell. He's the one that Dragon had chopped three of his legs in half so I'm assuming he was too weak to dig down into the sand to molt. I'm so glad he's molting because that means that he will get his legs back :) so i dug him a nice little burrow and gently put some sand over him and he's still down there. They seem to be getting along fine. I have only seen the new E, Emily, once and now she is buried somewhere so I'm assuming she might be molting. KAL looks like he has molted recently and he is so active. Smog was being more active but now he's back in hiding so I'm not sure what's going on with him. I wish Smog could socialize with Emily but so far I don't think they have met.

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm

They maybe just de-stressing as well/molting. They bury for a lot of reasons (except mine lol) Fun, stress, molting, tunneling, etc you just never know lol. So even if they are down for a long period of time it may just to relax (right about now I wish I could bury myself to relax n unstress lol). I am probably going to photo bomb here but I am working on their travel tote. Its not much and it is not filled yet. After careful discussion we thought that it was best to keep the substrate low to make sure no cave collapses would happen while on the road. I am sure bumps and everything would do this. I am also going to put a dab of glue to keep their coco hut in place so that it won't fall. I put them in it to see what they thought and so far I am pleased to say that it is crabby approved lol. They love it! :cheer: Sorry pics had to be taken at odd angles lol its a clear tote but with the flash it turns it to foggy >< and without it its to dark *ugh* lol.
Their travel tat: (no crabs in it yet)
Crabies checking out their new tat:
Herc: Cinnamon roll looking shell, Reese:Banded turbo in the front, Bat Girl is in the dark green turbo, Hearts: Light green turbo and the smallest of the lot.
Of course Bat girl had to be the first to climb lol. Vines are to much fun to resist to her :P.
Reese did a fail and decided to check to see if anyone saw :hlol:. No idea what he was trying to do but he leaped into the air n flipped over lol. Him and Bat Girl are always jumping and I have no idea if this is normal but it is pretty funny.
This is Ms. Hearts. Looking great isn't she? I am so proud of her pulling herself up from her accident and healing so perfectly. It really did make her a stronger girl. Now she runs all over Herc. I have seen her crawl up on him and walk around on him lol. That big softy just lets her do what ever she wants to him lol.

I figure that even if they fall a lil everything will have a soft landing and as you see I did my best to prevent falls lol. They have so much room in there. Once I fill with sub the bottom will have a soft landing to. I put up rails but they will prob climb over them lol. So I tried to think of every thing that I could. I did my best to make it fun so they won't stress to much if at all. Only thing I worry about is do i have enough air holes :o. I have 2 rows all around the top of the tote but it is hard to test how much air is flowing in there :o. I hope that I have enough tho I might end up adding another row just to be safe.

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:52 am

Wow the travel tote is cool! You did a great job :) I'm glad they love it. Ms. Hearts is sooooooooooo cute! That's good thy your taking such good precautions for them on the road. Lol I know, I wish I could bury myself to destress too! Maybe i would find some buried treasure in my hole lol yeah if they fall I'm sure they will be okay if you have nice soft landings. I saw KAL hanging from the screen lid one night and all of a sudden we heard a loud thud and I was like oh great, he fell! Good thing they have shells or I don't think they would survive the falls lol he got me good a couple days ago. I kept forgetting that his shell is too small for him and he can't retract into it so when I pick him up he lashes out and grabs ahold of my fingers. Well he took a good chunk out of my thumb :( lol I deserved it but he is so super feisty. Hurby and B.j are still down, Emily has made herself a nice burrow, and who knows with the other two lol I'm assuming KAL has buried himself somewhere and Smog sits in the hut all day. I still thinks she's sad but I don't know what else to do for her until Emily is done with whatever she's doing lol
Are you guys moving soon?

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:03 am

Smog just made a liar out of me lol as soon as I got up and walked past the tank there she was sitting by the salt pool. It's nice seeing at least one of them out. I miss the days where they would all be climbing and walking around like yours are. I think Hurby and B.J will after tier molts.

Nia

Post by Nia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:02 am

Lol yea Herc and Bat Girl are famous for that fall, I swear they love it at times. That or they are persistent lil buggers cause they repeat it several times over the night and day lol. Also Bat Girls new way to give me a heart attack (like I need one more reason with all this stress lol) she will climb up to the top ot the bubbler tube which is the top of the tat and jump off. Its like she is trying to jump from one side to the other which she can't cause its to far lol. All you hear is a clank BOOOM! I jump every time lol I swear she hurt herself but she never seems to. I just put a piece of lavender coral in there that I found from an old fish tank lol. I cleaned it up and it was missing half of it so I took some canvas and made a lil platform for them to sit on lol. They have been all over it so far. I am not putting any of that in the travel tote tho to afraid of it falling on them mid road. Honestly Idk it was going to be within 2 weeks but now more crap has just come up ....MIL if they don't drive you crazy what are they there for right lol. So anyway the move is now up in the air til she calms her crazy butt down lol. We still want to do all of this (the move n all) so well see where it goes tomorrow. I don't sleep much anymore so I try and occupy myself by thinking of things I might have around the house for them to deco with or things I can do for them lol. I can't do anymore packing just to sick n to sore from the stress and having to walk to the store that I just can't ><. So I busy myself with that lol. I feel like that travel tote seems bare but I don't want to add "risks" lol. I appreciate that you think I did a good job on it tho ^.^ lol I am trying my best. Short of adding their shells, pools, food bowl I think that it is all I can really add to it. All of that I can't add until we are going tho. Thank you so much for saying that you like it it means a lot lol. Still so new to this. I am still wondering if I should add another row or two of holes for air tho :o. Idk they are small n I am worried for three reasons 1) Is that enough air holes that they will get enough oxygen? 2) If its hot n we need the AC on will they be to cold? 3) If there are fumes from the ride will it hurt them? :o I just dunno. I always try to think of everything n I mean everything that will/can happen so I have all my bases covered but some things in life ya just don't see coming (like atm -.-) lol. Think of the best prepare for the worst :/ that the saying but with my luck its more like think of all the worst that can/will happen and prepare the best that you can lol. Currently needed a cliff to scream off of daily :P. Becoming a crab/ostrich seems like a good idea lmao. Bury in the ground n forget about how much life sucks :P lol.

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:45 pm

You're welcome :) to be on the safe side I would add some more holes. I'm sorry to hear that you're so stressed and you don't sleep. Ugh it isn't any better here. I feel like everything in my life is against me and I can't do anything right. Even with the crabs, I feel like they are unhappy. I almost got some fiddler crabs today for my fish tank but decided I better put my money to better use. Ugh. Life is so hard :/
Lol I would love to see crabs jump like that but yes, I would probably have a heart attack too!

Nia

Post by Nia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Omg I know the feeling lol. Nice to know I am not alone yet sucks so bad to have to live it >.<! At this rate the move is now off so hey I have a travel tote just in case. Always better to have it n not need it than need it n not have it lol. Idk I guess we will see if it is possible or if we need to make other plans. Its all up in the air atm. I'll let you know what's up tho.
Crabbies are all good tho. Sleeping atm finally I didn't sleep all night so watching their antics on their new toy was funny. I need to rearrange their tat tho their shell shop is way to full so I need to add another shop. Lol I need a bigger set up cuz as I go sort in all of my craft supplies I keep finding more things to put in there lmao. They are like whoa new toy .....crap less room lol. They still have a lot of running room but loads of thing to climb on n I still have loads of ideas lol. Oh so can't wait to set up that 50-55gal. I forgot which it is I thought 50 but I was just told that they think its a 55 and I have 2 ^.^. So I very excited to figure out a huge set up for them lol. So hoping everything works out rather than being called off but who knows. I was looking forward to it all -,-. Guess its good I got all these craft bins from my Grandmother's friend lol.