LHC Straw Arrival- 2014- Finally!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Avery

Re: LHC Straw Arrival- 2014- Finally!

Post by Avery » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:39 pm

go_skiboard wrote:I ordered 2 straws on Sunday from reptilecity.com and I was able to call and speak with someone over the phone yesterday and they let me request m/f and sizes, so hopefully i too will soon be getting straws!!! :fingerscrossed: Does anyone here have any recent experience with reptilecity.com? I searched HCA but only saw it mentioned a couple times. They were more expensive than LHC but the fact that I can actually get someone on the phone who says they have them in stock makes it worth it to me. Hopefully I'll have a bunch of pics of my new strawbabies to post in a few days!!! :)
Ahhhh! So jealous! You got to pick m/f!!! (almost had a cheesy girl moment there, I wanted to do pink and blue...down cheeseball, down!) SO far, I know for sure, that I have 2 boys and one girl. The 4th one decided to take a vacation from the world and molt.

As far as reptilecity... I know that I've seen them online. I know that I have grazed through their website before. But,I have never purchased anything from them. Looking at their web site again, I was a little concerned about those ugly painted shells, but when you click on it, there are only natural shells there (and some really cute photos as well!!)

I hope someone knows more than I do, and can chime in on that.
AND! I hope to hear more about your experience with them, as well as see your pictures!!!
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

Topic author
Avery

Post by Avery » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:08 pm

So, I'll admit, I've been super busy. My dog has been going through chemo (he's doing AWESOME) My son... well, he's 16 and that equates to high school, driving, first REAL girlfriend, my job(s) is concurrently sucking even my spare time away from me, and let's not forget general head of the household responsibilities. And, I recently gained this bundle of cuteness as well.
Her two human mama's were my friends. One earlier this year passed away from ovarian cancer, her partner and my friend, passed away 4 months later from "health complications", leaving behind this sweet pup. In their infinite wisdom, bless their hearts... They willed her to me. Surprise!
So time is a hot commodity in my world right now.
My photo op's with the new crabs has also been effected..... while they don't even realize I'm not oogling them all day long anymore, I'm sure this actually pleases them greatly, I do know I'm missing some great stuff.

I am that person who see's amazing things all the time and never has her camera/phone/tablet on her when it happens.
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Look at this tiny baby I got yesterday. He is so cute I don't even have words.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

go_skiboard

Post by go_skiboard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:43 pm

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!! where did you get such an adorable little straw?!?!

go_skiboard

Post by go_skiboard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Avery wrote: Ahhhh! So jealous! You got to pick m/f!!! (almost had a cheesy girl moment there, I wanted to do pink and blue...down cheeseball, down!) SO far, I know for sure, that I have 2 boys and one girl. The 4th one decided to take a vacation from the world and molt.

As far as reptilecity... I know that I've seen them online. I know that I have grazed through their website before. But,I have never purchased anything from them. Looking at their web site again, I was a little concerned about those ugly painted shells, but when you click on it, there are only natural shells there (and some really cute photos as well!!)

I hope someone knows more than I do, and can chime in on that.
AND! I hope to hear more about your experience with them, as well as see your pictures!!!
My fiance just told me that my order arrived but I'm at work so I had him open the box and there was only 1 crab inside and I ordered two!! I immediately emailed the company and got this response 10 min later:

"From: Reptile City Inc. [mailto:sales@reptilecity.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:34 PM
Subject: RE: MISSING CRAB!

We only have one left – WILL ISSUE A REFUND 29.99 You sounded as you couldn’t or wouldn’t wait until our next shipment therefore informed my staff too ship what we had Thanks,
Felton Willis"

...I "sounded as I couldn't or wouldn't wait until the next shipment"?? what?!? I was never informed that they only had one left. In fact, when I called and spoke to someone I asked if I could have 1 large crab and 1 smaller crab and that they be different sexes and was told that wouldn't be a problem so long as I sent them email, which I promptly did. I would have waited for the next shipment because they need a species buddy, plus I cannot afford to pay another $25 dollars to ship another crab. I emailed back asking why they didn't send me an email to let me know that they only had 1 available and asked them to refund the shipping cost as well. We'll see what they say. I'll post pics of my new straw later tonight (I'm at work). I'm SOOOO happy to finally have a straw, but I paid to ship them together, plus I have no idea how long it will be until they have them in stock again. My poor lonely straw... :smt009

Topic author
Avery

Post by Avery » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:21 pm

mom23 wrote:Image
There. Are. No. Words. Seriously. Why are all small things so precious?
SO tiny! And so red! like he/she just said "**blank! my baby stripes! I'm going to straight adulthood!"

Topic author
Avery

Post by Avery » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:35 pm

go_skiboard wrote: My fiance just told me that my order arrived but I'm at work so I had him open the box and there was only 1 crab inside and I ordered two!! I immediately emailed the company and got this response 10 min later:

"From: Reptile City Inc. [mailto:sales@reptilecity.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:34 PM
Subject: RE: MISSING CRAB!

We only have one left – WILL ISSUE A REFUND 29.99 You sounded as you couldn’t or wouldn’t wait until our next shipment therefore informed my staff too ship what we had Thanks,
Felton Willis"

...I "sounded as I couldn't or wouldn't wait until the next shipment"?? what?!? I was never informed that they only had one left. In fact, when I called and spoke to someone I asked if I could have 1 large crab and 1 smaller crab and that they be different sexes and was told that wouldn't be a problem so long as I sent them email, which I promptly did. I would have waited for the next shipment because they need a species buddy, plus I cannot afford to pay another $25 dollars to ship another crab. I emailed back asking why they didn't send me an email to let me know that they only had 1 available and asked them to refund the shipping cost as well. We'll see what they say. I'll post pics of my new straw later tonight (I'm at work). I'm SOOOO happy to finally have a straw, but I paid to ship them together, plus I have no idea how long it will be until they have them in stock again. My poor lonely straw... :smt009
Okay: Damage Control:
We have his name :Felton WIllis.
More importantly: hes refunded $30 back in your account. Yes?
Even more importantly:
The straw will be fine in the mean time. Until you find another one. Make sure you do right by him. Food/Molting time/waters/shell options. Let him de-stress.
I've had these solos come into my world periodically. I make sure they are fed, rested, and comfortable before I introduce them to general population.

Also: straws seem to have a propensity towards hijacking mites across the borders. This is good opportunity to take care of this as well.

Topic author
Avery

Post by Avery » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:53 pm

I found myself oogling this again! So TINY! I want to call him/her Pickle.
Annnd, I totally have to get off the computer! Duty calls. Gah. The day never ends, and still there isn't enough time in a day.

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Straws are so GORGEOUS, I'm living vicariously through you, trust me!! :love: You guys are so lucky!!
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:35 pm

I just got mine from LHC. You should email her and see if she has straws left. That way your new guy won't be lonely.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

go_skiboard

Post by go_skiboard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:52 pm

I tried emailing her several times about the order I had to cancel but no response. I guess it won't hurt to try though!

crabbienewb

Post by crabbienewb » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:34 pm

OMG so cute

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:11 am

He just changed into this teeny tiny fusi that I thought no one would ever wear. I'll get a picture tomorrow, it was too dark to get a good shot tonight.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:47 am

OMG, that is one red straw!! Totally jealous.
I gotta admit when I first saw him I thought of Barry/Bawwy off "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2".
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:23 am

go_skiboard wrote: I was able to call and speak with someone over the phone yesterday and they let me request m/f and sizes
If you have your heart set on a certain gender, you should double check HOW they are sexing them. Their business is reptiles, which are easy to sex and which pretty much do need to be sold as male or female due to the price and the likelihood of them being used in breeding projects. Sexing hermits crabs is much harder because it takes so much time and some crabs refuse to cooperate, and many places are still clueless on the real way to go about doing it. They may be using size, or claw shape, or color, or even the shell choice to make the determination on gender, or they may just arbitrarily choose crabs thinking no one will be the wiser. I've heard some crazy ways to tell the gender of crabs - none of which were true - over the years!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram