LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

FloridaSun

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by FloridaSun » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:13 pm

He's adorable!!!
4 PP, 4 Ruggies

“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:01 pm

I know! Cuteness overload! He's very active. My others grew so fast I'd almost forgotten how cute it was to watch the tiny ones climb all over everything. We are enjoying him and the others very much.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

stewartx4

Post by stewartx4 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:48 pm

I love them when they are that tiny!!!!!!! So adorable!
3 pps, 7 straws, 3 ruggies and 1 e

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:27 am

mom23, I am so super jelly - both because you actually got your crabs, and because your lil' straw is so adorables :D

When it comes to animal care, I can tell you that most people don't know how to properly care for most pets. People let cats wander outside, shortening their lifespans by nearly a decade and leaving them vulnerable to attack by other animals, by disease, and of course the potential to be hit by cars. People buy their children a cute little bunny rabbit for easter, and that bunny rabbit ends up in a shelter in a few months when the child loses interest, as rabbits are the third most commonly abandoned animal, or the rabbit is stuffed in a too small hutch in the back yard with a wire floor that hurts its feet, where it gets too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Oh, and many years could be added to its life if it were spayed or neutered, but like that would ever happen! And do not even get me started on guinea pigs, social creatures that are often sold alone and in much too small cages...

My point is that this is not just a hermit crab thing, it happens to all pets. People are lazy and stupid and do not research before bringing a pet home, especially small pets that they think of more like toys for children rather than live animals. All you can do is try to educate, but I am a cynic and I generally believe most people are idiots and there isnt much we can do about it but pick up the pieces and give good homes to as many animals as we can.

kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 am

Does anyone know any good websites to look for suppliers at? I checked Alibaba soo far and I found a couple but I wanted to find some more. I just wanted to get a estimate on how much everything would cost to start selling exotics.. I would have my tanks builded for them and I have a large empty room that can be used. I just wonder the start up cost because my budget is around $1000 anyone? :crabblush:
8PPs 6 E's in a 75gallon tank
2 Beautiful girls 3 Guinea Pigs
Loveableexotics.com (coming soon) hermies & bearded dragons will be available

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:04 am

I'm not sure. Alibaba is the only one I can think of. I'll try to do some research later tonight for you. I'd probably start by planning of budget of what you would need to start up any new tank (heat, humidity, food iso tanks etc) and then multiply it by about 500+ crabs. ;) I think time is a big factor in the business. Do you have the time to properly care for that many crabs and tanks while providing good customer service etc. Marketing wouldn't be too hard with forums and a website (also cost for that). You'd have to have the capital for the licenses needed and shipping costs. Just a few thoughts right off the top of my head.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

crabbienewb

Post by crabbienewb » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

One of my blues has molted, the one I was worrried about since I first got him. Have had them almost 8 weeks, he spent 2 weeks down and came up to eat and another 3.5 weeks down and he's back up. He changed colors quite a bit, he was very ashy before, and had extremely dull tips.
He's much much less purple than my other larger blues, he's a medium size. He's more blue than the pictures show though.

kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:53 am

mom23 wrote:I'm not sure. Alibaba is the only one I can think of. I'll try to do some research later tonight for you. I'd probably start by planning of budget of what you would need to start up any new tank (heat, humidity, food iso tanks etc) and then multiply it by about 500+ crabs. ;) I think time is a big factor in the business. Do you have the time to properly care for that many crabs and tanks while providing good customer service etc. Marketing wouldn't be too hard with forums and a website (also cost for that). You'd have to have the capital for the licenses needed and shipping costs. Just a few thoughts right off the top of my head.
Okay thanks alot! I know the main focus would be housing 500+ crabs, and for a temporary home for them I wonder how much space would be enough? I have a 40 gallon, & (2) 29 gallons that are collecting dust so they can be used as Iso also my fiance is very good with building and fixing so I was going to have him built a tank that was 80"L x 30"W x 38 H" . With the substrate being 16 inches deep.
Ordering 500 is the minimum but I wonder after shipping how many would actually make it? 300-400 maybe less. I am not sure if i'm actually going to do this but I just wanted to get a idea about everything. I know I would need a seller's permit, not sure if I need a business license since I would not be paying employees. I do have extra time on my hands since I work from home and it's not full time. But is there any permitsI would need since they are Live Animals?

go_skiboard

Post by go_skiboard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 am

@kitkathermiesworld - i am so excited that you are considering doing this, both because it would be so wonderful to have an HCA member who knows what they are doing and really cares about the crabs start their own crab business, and it would be great to have a dependable place to get exotics! :clap:

stewartx4

Post by stewartx4 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am

crabbienewb wrote:One of my blues has molted, the one I was worrried about since I first got him.
Yay! I think he/she looks adorable and I love the nails!
3 pps, 7 straws, 3 ruggies and 1 e

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 am

kitkathermiesworld wrote: Okay thanks alot! I know the main focus would be housing 500+ crabs, and for a temporary home for them I wonder how much space would be enough? I have a 40 gallon, & (2) 29 gallons that are collecting dust so they can be used as Iso also my fiance is very good with building and fixing so I was going to have him built a tank that was 80"L x 30"W x 38 H" . With the substrate being 16 inches deep.
Ordering 500 is the minimum but I wonder after shipping how many would actually make it? 300-400 maybe less. I am not sure if i'm actually going to do this but I just wanted to get a idea about everything. I know I would need a seller's permit, not sure if I need a business license since I would not be paying employees. I do have extra time on my hands since I work from home and it's not full time. But is there any permitsI would need since they are Live Animals?

I'd said I was gonna walk away from this thread but it's been pinching the back of my brain. ;)

Remember too that a wholesale order of 500 crabs (even if only 300-400 survive) would still be only one species you'd have to offer for sale and personally....I think those dimensions you gave would still be too small as it would equal less than 1 gallon of space per crab for crabs that have been harvested & shipped halfway around the world & are already stressed. These are all considerations that have kept me from trying it myself.
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:32 am

SachOfSCP wrote:
I'd said I was gonna walk away from this thread but it's been pinching the back of my brain. ;)

Remember too that a wholesale order of 500 crabs (even if only 300-400 survive) would still be only one species you'd have to offer for sale and personally....I think those dimensions you gave would still be too small as it would equal less than 1 gallon of space per crab for crabs that have been harvested & shipped halfway around the world & are already stressed. These are all considerations that have kept me from trying it myself.
Thanks for your feedback I was thinking that size might still be to small but if 300-400 crabs would be my max at the beginning after orders start flowing the number of hermit crabs will start to diminish making it more roomy. I can probably go bigger I just wouldn't know how big to go :?.... I did find one supplier who carried all different species that you can mix (100 ruggies, 200 straws, 100 violas,& 100 indos). Heating such a large crabitat and maintaining it would be tricky for me.

kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:44 am

go_skiboard wrote:@kitkathermiesworld - i am so excited that you are considering doing this, both because it would be so wonderful to have an HCA member who knows what they are doing and really cares about the crabs start their own crab business, and it would be great to have a dependable place to get exotics! :clap:
:) Awwe Thanks.. It would be great if I can actually get it done. I love hermit crabs just like any other animals so I wouldn't want to do it if I didn't have the right type of environment for them. But doing everything the right way and being open with your customers I feel like is the best business.. But If I did sell exotics I would have pictures and updates about everything that is going on.

* I found a website where I can order about 600 shells for $157.00 not bad! :banana:

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:20 pm

kitkathermiesworld wrote:
* I found a website where I can order about 600 shells for $157.00 not bad! :banana:
Oh do tell please!
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:58 pm

SachOfSCP wrote: Oh do tell please!
Www.Shells-of-Aquarius.com their shells are very affordable :)