Setting up the 40GB

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Setting up the 40GB

Post by ErikRasmussen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Man have I have been wanting to upgrade for a long time. I never thought in my life that I would have a tank this big but I ended up going with a 40GB and this is probably where I am going to stay for a while (he says before he decides to buy more crabs). But yeah $48 at petco's sale so that's awesome. But now there is a list of things to get done.
A job to pay for everything below (have a meeting wed and I hope it goes well)
Sand to put underneath my current substrate and then some EE to put on top of that (have some EE dont know if its enough)
I might need another heat source and I might look into a moon bulb but ill probably buy another UTH (have 4 of different sizes)
A lid, if I don't buy a lid from a pet store I will probably custom make one myself, or maybe order a custom one, I want it to be a sturdy glass one with small air holes for air circulation and so they can climb upside down still
Some shower caddies that dont have holes in the bottom, and a shallow corner one for shells
I was planning on just putting it on the ground but there is a small chance ill decide to make a stand
new pools, I have two I am perfectly content to use so this is one of those crabby-addiction ones but I wanted to experiment with some different sized containers to see how I can fit them in the new tank
and lets be honest I have to many climby/hidey things already so i don't NEED more of those, but if I twere to get new ones it would be the waterfall (or make on of those) or the fake juniper bonsia tree they sell at petsmart*wink wink*
and I can never have enough shells that's for sure

stay posted :crabbigsmile:

gotta-crab-em-all

Re: Setting up the 40GB

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Keep us posted!! I'm excited to see it once its finished :D
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 am

Sounds like one awesome and fun project ahead, I will be lurking with interest! :lol:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:48 am

I know how you feel! I scored a 55 at Petco on Sunday -- they were kind enough to set one aside for me when I went first thing in the morning, and it was a 40 at the time. Then, I changed my mind and called them back and switched to the 55....and again, they were kind enough to do it and hold it behind the counter for me (all this time, I was waiting for my husband to bring home the truck so we could get it home, LOL).

When I finally went back to pick it up, I waffled between the 55 and the 40, but finally decided on the 55 (mostly because they were having a tough time finding the only remaining 40 in the store so I could compare the 2 side by side) - LOL!

I know I'll need an Ultratherm to heat this thing, plus I'm going with a sand/EE mix this time, and I'll need the sand. And a lid, because I don't want to buy one.....so I also know the feeling of wanting to just get started, but having to wait for other things to come into place....

Congrats again on the new tank!! :)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 am

Congrats! I look forward to pics of your new crabitat all set up. :)

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks guys I cant wait to start putting this together, I know my crabs want it to they are being kind of inactive lately. But yeah im most concerned about the heating and the lid. But I am excited as well.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:35 pm

So I am still using my 20gl and since the weather started changing, and since I moved into this new apartment I have been having some temperature issues but there is not any more room on my tank for a UTH. And i figured since i will hopefully be moving them into the 40g soon i might as well buy a heating lamp. I used to use a red one but it kept me up at night so i started looking at night bulbs.

I am assuming this would be the type of bulb to buy if i wanted heat with little light and no stress on the crabs correct? But what size would be best for (planning ahead here) a 40g? If i have 4 UTH of various sizes?

Alien00

Post by Alien00 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:55 pm

I guess a lot of people are upgrading as well since the Petco sale started.

I'm upgrading to a 29 gallon from a 10. We randomly got some hermies from a boardwalk store around 4th of July. I quickly learned the dinky wire cage and junky food wasn't nearly enough.

Picking up the aquarium tomorrow. Already called and they said they have 29s in stock and going to get the hinged glass lid too. We the hinged lid now on the 10gal and just drilled holes in the back plastic part. Humidity and temps have been perfect.

My wife thinks I'm nuts with all the stuff I've been getting in preparation - African wood, hemp nets, a medium zoo med UTH (which I hope keeps the tank warm enough), soap dish and moss for a moss pit, new dishes, cocofiber, cholla wood pieces and the list goes on and on. Also have to go get sand tomorrow too.

But, I figured we got these guys and they should have a fun home so it's worth it.

We got the two PPs in July. One dug down as soon as we put her in the aquarium and we haven't seen her since. Going to move the 10 gal and give her a couple more months - been almost 3 months so a bit worried.

Plus the other one, Joey, is essentially by himself this whole time so want to find a couple friends for him soon too.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Dont worry three months is about average for a molt. And if it is the first molt with you then it might be a little bit longer because there will probably be a lot of de-stressing time involved. Congrats on the new hermits and tank, i know exactly how you feel with all the supplies, i have a tote bigger than my tank filled with hermit crab stuff. :lol:

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:33 pm

I GOT A JOB. Its a dog walking position that pays 11/hr and I will start loading up the 40g very soon. Does anyone have a place where they got a custom lid that they really liked?

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Okay so I am experimenting with the zilla moonlight bulb while my crabs are still in their 20gl. There tank has been getting a bit to cold at night and it makes me nervous. If I use lights on the 40gb i think these shall be the ones, i like them. I have a few questions though.

What lids do people prefer? I would love one that my crabs could climb upside down on because thats a big thing for them, i was thinking plexi glass but does that stay on okay? If i use one of the lids with the over head lighting will my crabs be able to crawl out at all? I dont know what those look like?

Also what is the deal with sand. I have always hated using it in my tats but i was thinking i would fill up the bottom 6 inches with sand, then put another inch or two in of my EE and Sand mix and then just put straight cocofiber. A. In a climate as dry as utah i can have perfect and above humidity and my substrate will still dry out if there is sand mixed in (UTH not touching the sub) and B. why is utah sand so rough looking/feeling? I have noticed various home depots sell sand based off of where they get it, ex Florida sand looks way different from California sand. But am i right to assume that anything labeled play sand is okay for hermit crabs? Even the Utah brands?

:banana: Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:27 am

I currently have plexi lids, DIY sliding ones that came from Youtube. I hate them. They restrict my access from the top to only half of the tank opening. They are about 1/8 inch thin, so the awesome and constant heat and humidity cause the lids to warp (my fault for getting thin plexi) and i have to flip these lids 2x daily. Good thing they're not permanent. The crabs can crawl out if they REALLY wanted to, but i suppose you can use clips to hold them in place. The warp issue can also be fixed, but i'm in the market for glass lids, so I won't bother. Also plexi seems to scratch easily, which is only a problem for me because i always have to handle them during flipping time. Good idea were i keeping fish. Not perfect for my crabs.
I had ordered a fitted hood with LED lights. I loved it until i discovered 2 major flaws. 1. The lights are under the lid! If i open the lid for cleaning/stalking, i lose my light source and can no longer use or enjoy that glorious LED lighting. 2. These hoods DO NOT prop up. Not only does that make humidity hard to control (though you might benefit from this) but cleaning was a pain, holding the lid open with one hand while cleaning with the other. The hood came with hinge clips, but propping the hood up resulted in the whole kit snapping off and falling backwards.
IMHO, sand is a must. I have seen tats with a gradient as you describe, and they're beautiful. But the sad fact is that your crabs wont care and in time it will get all mixed up anyway. My tanks are always 80%+ sealed up, which traps and controls humidity. My sub is premixed to almost too wet. I mix up the moistest, sandcastle consistency possible, outside the tank, and throw it in (such hard work). That way if its overwet i can throw some dry sub to even it out before adding. Even with lamps, my sub would only dry at the surface. Heat and humidity not in direct light would remain controlled. It was best when the lamps pointed at the side of the tank, as straight down would always spot-dry my sub.
Generally anything labeled playsand should be fine, but there are sands out there that might have dyes or texturizing agents. I'm sure Utah has perfectly good sand, but stay away from "designer" playsand. Home depot or Lowes carry quikrete/sakrete playsand intended for sandboxes, found in the cement section, and this is what most people use.
I prefer hinged glass lids. They sell premade ones, but i will be modifying them to add ventilation and access for my tubes and cords, and also to make it able to prop open on itself (will document and post pics). I currently use LED strip light tape. It is stuck all around the top part of my tank, inside and just below the top rim. I love it, but i am also wishing it had a moonlight setting so i could stalk these nocturnal guys. My LED lights, though on a dimmer, sends all night crabs scattering. I had day and night bulbs on a timer, but the night bulb was red and, well, that plan failed.
Please share your moonglow experience, i am gearing up to get one but am most interested in how the crabs act with it on, and your face pressed up the side of the glass i guess i'm hoping it acts like an invisibility cloak for me. :B
I'm considering putting up 2way mirrors so i can watch them without being seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 am

ErikRasmussen wrote:I GOT A JOB. Its a dog walking position that pays 11/hr and I will start loading up the 40g very soon. Does anyone have a place where they got a custom lid that they really liked?
http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/store/csts2.asp

Go to custom table tops. Get a solid one and have a local place put the holes in or a corner or 2 clipped for ventilation. I am taking both of mine (125 gal tank so 2 pieces) to a glass place here and having holes put in both to affix handles to help in opening it.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:24 am

I got the second to thinnest glass. It is a pain in the butt without handles to get out using just the clipped corner but it will keep even jumbos in.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:42 am

Heat lamps: I have a ZooMed Moonglow one and I love it! It doesn't disturb the crabs at all because it's such a low light level, but definitely enough to see them on the side that it's on....YYWW, you mentioned wondering how the crabs react to it, and in my experience, it doesn't even phase them (except keep them warmer, which is great). I find I can observe them with it just fine, and they don't get all freaked out...

Lids: I have a whole thread regarding lits here in the forum - and I'm still not at my permanent solution. For my 55 (which isn't going to be setup for a while, darn!), One half is going to be a Tetra glass one, hinged in the middle, with a handle so it'll lift up and I can do maintenance and stuff, etc. (got a deal on it at Petco) -- the other half is temporarily going to be plexi with holes drilled in for air, and potentially a corner clipped for tubes, etc....